Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS time coding (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DTS time coding
Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2016 02:12 PM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a print of Tarzan 1999, it's a german release. On real 1 they printed antoher distribution logo in front of the normal studio. Because off this on reel 1 the DTS (i use english disc) is off for about 20 seconds.

Did anybody have tried or succeeded adjusting audiofile or timecodes on the disc so I can use it properly?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2016 05:30 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Florian Kuik
i have a print of Tarzan 1999, it's a german release. On real 1 they printed antoher distribution logo in front of the normal studio. Because off this on reel 1 the DTS (i use english disc) is off for about 20 seconds.

Did anybody have tried or succeeded adjusting audiofile or timecodes on the disc so I can use it properly?

Thanks

That's interesting. Normally DTS would have assigned an alternate timecode reel number for a version with a changed running time, to prevent out-of-sync sound from playing (so for example the Germany Reel 1 would have been identified as timecode Reel 13 and a correlating file encoded).

I am not aware of any way to edit an encoded DTS file in this way, you'd need to edit the 5.1 printmaster and re-encode a new DTS Reel 1.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2016 05:52 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daniel,

The German version has a studio label printed in front of the reel. So the timecoding on that reel is about 20 seconds out of syn to the English version.

So there is a good DTS coding, it's just not the same timing as the English release. So I thought about swapping the DTS audio files, adjusting the timing or any other way to let the DTS player now It has an offset of 20 seconds. The other reels are working properly I've been told..

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 07:41 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting old school stuff!

Are you saying that the picture has been replaced but not the timecode so you have your german logo with the wrong sound?

If that's the case I'd probably just scratch away the DTS timecode from the print itself (but you'll have to be careful) or simply switch back to SR/SRD before the sound starts and back to DTS when the logo ends.

What about removing the affected logo? [Smile]

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2016 09:37 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's worse, they use an extra film studio logo, they didn't shift the original dts coding, so that's off bij about 20 seconds. The print is German and german DTS works.

The English dts disc is off by about 20 seconds. So I need to shift it somehow..

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 11:00 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, are you saying the whole reel 1 is 20 seconds out of sync?

As Daniel said they should have used a different timecode and reel - at least for the logo. I am not aware of a way to re-sync the whole thing, sorry.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering... What would happen if you blocked the reader with a business card until the first logo went past?

If the time code is somehow improperly encoded/printed for the first logo, the system might work correctly once that part has gone past. If it's physically out of sync then this wouldn't work.

I am afraid that the second case is true but without looking at the code on the film to see how it is printed it's not possible to tell. The business card trick is a simple, quick and harmless test to see what would happen.

If the trick works, you simply need to block the reader each time the print is presented. Since an operator should be stationed at the projector when the movie begins, it would be a small matter to hold a card in place for the twenty seconds necessary to make the DTS work correctly.

If the trick doesn't work, I'm afraid a new disk will have to be obtained or else you will have to make a hacked version for your own use.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2016 04:05 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The distribution norm for most US films in Germany is "dubbed", and it sounds like, for some reason, the entire R.1 timecode track was re-recorded, incorporating the ~20 seconds of distributor logo on the head. An odd decision, but that's my guess. The only solution I could imagine would be, as mentioned before, some kind of a hack.

Blocking the timecode from being read would not affect it -- the system goes to the sync point that is (theoretically) associated with the given frame of picture. It sort of has to be that way, or every time a splice goes through, it would drift out of sync. Think, for example, of older release prints which may have lost a few frames from the heads and tails of each reel as it was plattered at various places along the way. We know it's good practice to assemble prints so as to NOT lose frames, but there have been places where the candy-stand draftees sent to be "projectionists" weren't so diligent about film handling. Also at changeover houses -- the system goes to the newer (higher reel #, e.g. from reel #3 to reel #4) bits of track instantaneously when a reel is changed.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 06:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul H. Rayton
Blocking the timecode from being read would not affect it...
Yes, I am pretty sure that you are right and I said as much.
Blocking the time code reader is a simple, painless test that can verify the problem with no negative after effects.

As I also said, it is impossible for us to tell exactly what the cause of the problem is without physical access to the print. If you remember, some years back, another Film-Techer (Bobby, IIRC) showed us how to read time code manually (by eye) in order to verify that it is correct and so that we can splice reels together in the right order. It would be possible for a person with that knowledge and physical access to the print to decode the information on the time code track to determine what the problem is.

Alternately, a person can hook a monitor and keyboard up to a DTS machine and read out the current time code (Title/Reel/Frame) to see what's going on. Again...physical access is needed.

So, without physical access, the only way that I can think of to determine the cause of the problem would be to block the reader and cause the DTS system to temporarily revert back to analogue sound then, upon unblocking the reader, the DTS system will re-acquire the time code and, hopefully, synchronize back to the right place.

BUT...IF the time code is written as a contiguous track that includes the logo then blocking the time code reader would not work.

Blocking the reader is just an easy way to help us, who don't have physical access to the print or the equipment, to determine what the problem is. Further, there is still a small, yet non-zero, chance that blocking the reader might work.

There is no reason not to try it if it hasn't already been tried.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2016 07:46 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is only for one or two shows, I'd just turn the damn DTS
off and run it analog. I'll bet 99% of the people will never
notice, unless you've got an audience full of audio engineers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 08:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that! [Smile]

If the analogue sound system is properly aligned and calibrated it should take an experienced ear and a side-by-side comparison ("A-B Test") to tell the difference.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2016 11:30 PM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input, highly appreciated. The print is dubbed in german and with DTS there is the possibility to do a english playback. That's something I wuold like [Smile]

Problem is that on reel 1 the whole timecode is shifted and therefore the blocking won't work. It simply goes back to analog and back to sync (that's off in english) when reding is properly back..

So only chance is to add delay, blank space or a new timecode to it.. or combine the english disc with german timecode or something like that.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-26-2016 04:02 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'd need to know wether this is for rare personal showings, or for the public.

- Carsten

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2016 05:29 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
If the analogue sound system is properly aligned and calibrated it should take an experienced ear and a side-by-side comparison ("A-B Test") to tell the difference.
I can't speak for SR because the auditoriums I will refer to weren't equipped for it. When digital sound was first emerging in the 1993-1994 time frame, I watched most films in one of two very good sounding, THX certified auditoriums. One had DTS and the other got Dolby Digital (or Dolby Stereo Digital at the time).

I could relatively easily tell if there was an issue and the digital sound wasn't working. In that time frame, this would almost always be when they didn't get the DTS disks shipped and I'd see the movie on opening day.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-26-2016 09:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
If this is only for one or two shows, I'd just turn the damn DTS off and run it analog.
I think the analog audio on his print is of the German "VF", and he wants to hear the English "OV", so to speak.

This issue bit me in the rear the other way round in the mid '90s, with one of the Jurassic Park movies. I was working in a small theater in a remote part of the south-west of England. The print arrived only an hour before showtime - no time to test and preview. So at 6pm I started to play it blind to a sellout crowd. About half way in I nipped out of the booth to answer a call of nature, and when I walked back across the lobby to the booth a stream of customers were coming out, and I caught one of them complaining loudly to the girl in the box office: "What's up with the f***ing projector? They've all started talking f***ing frog language in there!". As you can gather, we catered to a very high class and well educated clientele, and played Bunuel and Renoir every week (not).

Long story short - the print had the French dub on the analog, I was playing the English DTS CDs, reel 4 had a bad timecode and it dropped out. That explained why the distributor called twice during the previous week to confirm that we did have DTS. They were very short of prints and had sourced a few French ones to make up the shortfall, which they sent to the smallest, bottom of the food chain houses that did have DTS, so that if what happened to me happened, the damage would be as minimal as possible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: