Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Elmo cl16 xenon projector service manual

Author Topic: Elmo cl16 xenon projector service manual
Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2016 07:07 PM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a service manual for the xenon 250W 16CL projector?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-02-2016 12:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.acofs.org.au/part_5_files/Elmo/Tech%2016%20CL.pdf

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2016 03:15 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link Randy provided is for the standard halogen Elmo CL. While the mechanics are virtually the same, the power supply and other electronics are different in the Xenon, and very different in the Xenon Deluxe.

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2016 05:14 PM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the halogen model service manual does not give me any joy. I need to establish how the amplifier and xenon circuits interact.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-02-2016 10:26 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have the manual, but if memory serves from when I dealt with one some years ago....

There is a relay that either cuts out the speaker/line output (or shorts out the line input to the amplifier) to effectively keep the "static" from the lamp ignitor from getting into the audio.

Perhaps I (or someone else) on here can be more helpful if you told us in as much detail as possible what the issue is that you are having with the projector...

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2016 12:02 AM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure... I threw out the amplifier which died in mid performance. I made and installed a pre amp which works like a dream but the xenon won't ignite so there is some loop or circuit that needs re-instating. Hopefully it is just simple as your memory suggests but I need to find and understand a circuit so that I can attend to the issue.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-03-2016 10:41 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, that makes sense..

So it should be simple to trace out..in that projector it appears there was a relay in the amplifier that cut off the ignitor whenever the amplifier was powered on...

If by chance you still have that amplifier (and have good electronic skills which you seem to have) the easiest way to do it is to trace out and identify the connections to the amplifier..eliminate the obvious first (incoming mains power, speaker out and incoming line level audio.) After marking all of those connections, you should have two left over. Those would be the connections to the ignitor.

To determine if they are a switch loop, simply measure resistance between those two connections. In this situation, with the amplifier powered off, it should read zero ohms.

If the amplifier actually supplied the power to the ignitor, then the two left over connections should both read continuity to the mains inputs you already identified on the amplifier. In this case, one lead should read as zero ohms between mains hot and the other to mains neutral.

Once you know whether it was a switch loop or mains feed, you can now, in the projector, jump the two ignitor leads together (if a switch loop) or tie the appropriate leads to the correct side of the mains.

Now if you literally tossed the amplifier in the bin, we're back to finding the manual. [Big Grin]

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2016 05:31 PM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony. I still have the amplifier and I do intend to do exactly as you suggest if I cannot locate a circuit. If it as simple as a switch loop ( I very much doubt that any power to the xenon goes through the amp,) I should be able to nail it. There is also the possibility that the relay is attached to the lamp electronics, not in the amp so I will be searching for a pair of thin interconnecting wires.

I'm sure that I will work this out but a circuit would save a lot of poking around...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: