Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FP30D Inverter

Author Topic: FP30D Inverter
Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2016 12:37 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I have just plugged in a Kinoton FP30D unfortunately after a 'pop' from the Lenze Inverter/drive it looks as though it has died.

I have since tried the motor with a different brand motor drive and the motor happily spins.

I have taken apart the Lenze unit and it looks as though two components have burnt out.

Does anyone know what could have caused this, as the motor seems to run fine.

I am happy to buy another Lenze motor drive but do they need some sort of programming?

Finally if anyone has an FP30D could they maybe take a photo of the wiring so I can check all is OK with my unit.

Many thanks in advance

|  IP: Logged

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a bit of research I will soon have the equipment to program a Lenze inverter. Does anyone know the correct settings for an FP30D

Thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are getting the same model Lenze (SMD), then there is a little module in the upper corner that has the Kinoton factory presets in it. Put that in the replacement unit and you should be good to go.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-07-2016 06:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He lives in Herts, he shouldn't be having any issues with this.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2016 02:02 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Kinotons I have seen in the UK seem to have this Inverter..... Lenze EVF8201-E.

They don't have any display or buttons for programming. You buy an extra panel that plugs in which allows you to program it.

I will have another check though, there may be a module inside that can be swapped.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-08-2016 04:52 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...that one was in use into the very early 2000s. The 8200smd was used subsequently.

Below are what I have on that version of the Lenze for the FP30D. Please note, I have no FP30Ds with that inverter so your required settings may vary based on how your machine was configured mechanically.

Code Name Settings
C011 Maximum field frequency: 50 Hz
C014 V/f characteristics 2 s
C016 Vmin 25 %
C037 JOG value 1 48 Hz
C038 JOG value 2 50 Hz
C039 JOG value 3 5 Hz

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2016 03:10 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve
Because of the programming issues your describing, I removed the lenze inverter from my FP 40D and replaced it with a 1/4 HP 3/230v Omron model which I got off eBay for £40. Works a treat and can be programmed directly (you don't need the key pad attachment , which I think is quite rare by the way ?) to work via the buttons on the machine . There are lots of 2nd hand inverters on eBay for very little money - any 1/4HP 3x230vac will do, I have a couple of spares lying around somewhere . Jon

I also easily

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-10-2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the case of the FP-xxD (or "A") you are probably correct that most any inverter could be put into service. Generally a 48Hz output will spin the motor for a 24FPS (50Hz for 25fps) and normally you just need a simple on/off with a suitable ramp up/down.

in the "E" projectors, there is normally more going on there and the feature set of the inverter is going to be more critical. I don't know how available the Lenze 8200smd is around the world (they were always less available in the US than in Europe...in the US, the AC Technology versions by Lenze seemed to be much more prevalent). In fact, that is what we used when converting a pair of DP75s to inverter drive.

But if you can source an 8200smd version...then the Kinoton service manuals will provide the parameters used by Kinoton as well as the wiring needed to have it perform like the "factory."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: