Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Identify Peavey Speaker

Author Topic: Identify Peavey Speaker
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-30-2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if anyone here can identify the following Peavey speaker. I'm interested in its model number and datasheet (and manual, if such a thing exists).

-

I guess this is another call to have a separate "sound" forum.

|  IP: Logged

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LF cabinet seems to match this, different horns though.

LINK

Guess#1 at the horn

Guess #2 at horn

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-30-2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jay Wyatt
The LF cabinet seems to match this, different horns though.

LINK

Ahh, our old friend kinemaman, selling used junk worth less than $100 for full list price or thereabouts... that speaker in the listing is not worth anything close to $775 (!). (Peavey speakers weren't worth much anyways, pretty bad sound but as an economy solution for theatres that couldn't afford better, they were o.k.)

That said though, I did get a great deal on some Telex 16mm projectors (military surplus, new old stock) and when one projector's rewind clutch failed, he did send a complete replacement projector at no charge...AND I got to keep the bad one for parts.

So not a bad guy really, but he seems to always way overprice his stuff on fleabay.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-30-2016 12:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the very fast responses! I'm pretty sure it is a CH2 horn...It has a 22XT compression driver and those two go together but the CH 1 looks pretty similar.

The speaker listed as the CAS3215 looks to be a Frankenstein of an EV bass section and an EAW HF section. That is an EAW horn (previous generation as used on their CB259 speaker)

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does it sound?

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-30-2016 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard it...it is at a site I'm going to and want information on it before setting things like the crossover.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2016 11:51 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am familiar with the 22XT driver...
 -

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-02-2016 12:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80301505.pdf

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80302103.pdf

a lot of these got sold by CFS back in the day

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2016 01:16 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local amateur theatre group has two of the old "Black Widow" cabinets using those drivers and they frequently got to look like the picture. Nothing tests the metal of a driver quite like 300 watts of square wave feedback.

Once Peavey was sending these with tours around the world as rock speakers. Everything in the box is replaceable in the field. Bass cone baskets and driver diaphragms, even the crossovers are plug in replaceable.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2016 01:48 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a sensible design so I'm sure they don't make them anymore.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2016 03:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That speaker looks exactly like the Peaveys we used to have in the Roxy. I don't know the model number but Mark G. could easily find out because they're currently sitting in a warehouse in SLC. They're for sale if you would like to pick them up at stupendous prices.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2016 04:06 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever meet someone in the theater business not selling old equipment at a stupendous price I'll buy him a Daniel Webster cigar. Just kidding and with full apologies to John Wayne, Jeff Bridges and especially Charles Portis! I was re-reading True Grit the other night and it just popped in my head when Saw what you wrote.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: