Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DAC decoder(s) in DTS-6D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DAC decoder(s) in DTS-6D
Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2016 04:25 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody give me some more insight and info on the following?The Apt-X100 chips on the audio card decode the APT-X100 codec as
delivered by the CD-ROM / player combo. Hereafter we have a PCM signal that needs DAC's to get it all back into analog language. Question: What DAC's (make and type) are used for this purpose and where are they located ( or how are they individually masked by DTS..) in relation to their function?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2016 06:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always assumed the APT-X100 chips were the D to A chips... I have a plastic tube full of them here if you need any... Have had a few fail over the years and got some extras from DTS.

Mark

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2016 09:37 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the APTX100 chips "translate" the 4-bit compressed data stream back to the original 16 bit size that was the original sound format before it was 4x compressed to be written on the disc. That is the major task of these large proprietry APT chips... Even if one goes through the patent, it is not entirely clear if the final D/A conversion is built into the chip or that a secondary D/A decoder would be needed. I agree that it's most probably done on the chip, but I'm not 100% sure.
Difficult to find on the net, at least for me. Still would like to know...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-30-2016 10:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not remember there being any extra DAC chips on the 6 & 6D audio boards. Just the APT chips. I repaired a lot of the 6D boards because the DC converter module failed quite often in a bunch of them leaving the unit with no audio at all. There were a number of output opamps though and it was these opamps which the DC converter powers.

Also, the XD-10 DID have an entirely different scheme for this and it did have separate D to A chips. All that is located on the audio board that is above the PC motherboard. If you cn track down Karen Hultgrin (SP?) on Facebook she would know the answer to your question for sure. I also looked at the patent and it is very vague what happens in that big chip... Almost too vague for a patent....

Mark

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mark for looking into this. Funny you should say that about the patent reproduction. Of course large sections are way above my digital elementary scholl, but indeed it sort of fails to tell you exactly what the last stage(s) do. Indeed a bit hazy there. Anyway, thanks for your interest! Hereunder related text part of patent summary..... (accent on "can then..")
Playback is accomplished by reading out the recorded signals from the storage medi¬ um, decoding the read out signals in a manner complementary to the encoding, demultiplexing the decoded signals in a manner complementary to the multiplexing, and decompressing the demultiplexed signals in a manner complementary to the compression. The decompressed signals can then be pro¬ cessed through a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) and sup¬ plied to audio speakers.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-30-2016 02:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The patent applies to the technology not necessarily the actual design of the chip
On the 6 and 6D the da to conversion happened in the APx chip
The 6 had balancing output transformers and the CD did not but used opamps to balance the output

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2016 04:39 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon said "The patent applies to the technology not necessarily the actual design of the chip..."
Thanks Gordon, I think you're absolutely right there! That absolutely correct observation had'nt crossed my mind, but your observation is of course spot on! So we're still in the dark. Will try and find out anyway and will keep you posted.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-31-2016 07:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a brochure on APTX100 on the net describing 'the' chip, and mentioning common serial digital audio interfacing to 16Bit D/A converters. Don't know, however, wether that brochure references the DTS-6 chipsets, or later revisions. The paper is dated 1999/2000.

Keep in mind, APTX is still current technology, it is one of the (better) codecs used for Bluetooth audio, wireless headsets, etc.

I have a DTS-6D sitting in my basement, I may go and have a look at the D536 myself...

Wasn't there a digital audio out option for the DTS-6D amd SV? The back-plate has a connector option for it. And I don't think they implemented it D->A-A->D wise...

- Carsten

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2016 09:03 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Wasn't there a digital audio out option for the DTS-6D amd SV? The back-plate has a connector option for it. And I don't think they implemented it D->A-A->D wise...
My memory is not 100% on this, but I don't think there were digital out options on the 6D, 6DSV or 6AD. There *was* a digital out option on the XD10. A Datasat soundtrack played back on the XD10, digitally output to an AP20 using Dirac Live was in my opinion the pinnacle of sound-for-film.

As to the DAC chips on the old units, I'll see if I can find someone to confirm. Now I'm curious.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-31-2016 09:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are Crystal (now Cirrus Logic) CS4333. I just opened the DTS-6D in my basement and had a look.

http://floe.butterbrot.org/matrix/hacking/limp/docs/cs4330.pdf

See this picture of my D536-D with my added red box outlining the three stereo DACs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmtmk5jk4n9ftex/DTS6D_DACs.jpg?dl=0

Daniel - this D536-revD card actually has an onboard D15 connector labeled 'Digital out'. I wouldn't know for sure wether this actually means digital audio? I read a lot of DTS manuals and TechTalk, but never saw this connector being mentioned.

The analog back end of the card is towards the front of the DTS-6D unit (front level trim pots for obvious reasons), so the rear analog out is on a ribbon-cable break out/slot connector board. But the digital out is on-board.

- Carsten

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-31-2016 12:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6d did have a digital out but it was not AES it would interface to the CinemaAccoustics processor and the older USL USL processor which model I cant remember

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-31-2016 12:17 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was probably not some of the standard multichannel digital interfaces, but some proprietary format with separate data/clock signals etc.

Most people refer to the DTS-6 vs. the DTS-6D as the two drive vs. three drive model - was the 'D' in 6D actually indicating this digital output? Appears obvious now, but never thought about it before...

Also never heard about CinemAcoustics CPs before, but, yes, there is something to be found:

http://mkpe.com/products/cinemacoustics/EE%20Note%20002%20DTS%20Modification.pdf

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-31-2016 08:20 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This company was a division of Peavey for all intents and purposes. Did not work out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2016 10:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just leave this here.

-

Cinemark policy trailer

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2016 04:25 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have two of those on my patch, working!

Well, mostly. It really is time they retired.

The DTS 6SV did give some sort of oddball digital signal, just as Gordon described.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: