Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Break Tonight Castro Theatre SF

Author Topic: Film Break Tonight Castro Theatre SF
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2016 02:59 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something you never see these days at a DCP video cinema the film broke. Went to see tonight at the Castro Theatre in SF two film noir 35mm studio archive film prints. Black Angel (1946) plus Nightmare Alley (1947) both 35mm prints in B&W looked great on the large 1:33 Castro screen. Toward the end of Nightmare Alley just 3 minutes before the end credits the movie film broke, the screen went bright white for a few minutes. The crowd went wild, a true cinema experience live. The projectionist (yes the Castro has a 35mm projection guy), got It up and going again very fast. No platter here, just reel to reel changeover. The only thing this projection guy needs to learn is about the curtain cues. He opened the curtains on a white screen then projected the image on the studio title. I think people were a little taken back and have never seen a true film break in many years. Thanks to the Castro for still showing true 35mm film. It was so strange for this to happen so close to the end of a perfect 35mm night on the big screen. Both prints were in good shape without many splices ect. The sound was very crisp and clear for mono track.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-04-2016 04:53 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be running a changeover booth tonight in Seattle.

Part of the hours they give me is to inspect and report on every reel... splices, scratches, sprockets... everything, so it seems to me something like this should have been caught and repaired, not presented to the audience.

While I'm glad that anyone still focuses on film, I'm not sure a break is something to be impressed about. I'd go home, feeling I'd failed to properly do the job.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2016 09:10 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Jack on this one. As a person who (fortunately) gets to still
run 35 & 70mm regularly, I take film breaks as a personal blot on my
reputation, because, generally speaking, most of them are avoidable.

However, I don't want to second guess whatever happened at The
Castro. Even the best baseball, basketball, (or whatever) player can
occasionally have a bad game. That doesn't make them a lousy athlete.

(I don't mean to imply you were personally attacking the Castro's
projection staff, I was just voicing how I feel about when something
causes a less-than-perfect performance, and I'm sure The Castro guys
feel the same way, since, as you've pointed out, they usually do a great
job over there - and I'm sure they didn't think it was at all amusing)

And as an additional anecdote- - The last time I did have a film break
on me,I made a quick announcement from the booth, something like:
"We just occasionally do this on purpose to prove we really ARE running
actual film up here" . The audience applauded.

I'm glad I made them laugh, but I still felt bad about the break.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2016 10:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Monohan
just 3 minutes before the end credits the movie film broke, the screen went bright white for a few minutes
Do you mean that literally, as in the film broke and the projector continued to run for a few minutes without film in the gate, as in minutes?

No failsafe shutdown? No projectionist in the booth?

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2016 08:45 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad It seemed like

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2016 08:57 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad It seemed like It took some time but It may have been shorter then 3 minutes. I did not look at my watch in the dark. The look on the audience faces was something else. Many people made positive comments in the dark, like thank god for 35mm film, the projectionist has a splice to fix, were not going to get a refund so close to the end. Everyone clapped for the booth guy when It started up again after a short period. I think he or she even closed the curtain while they re loaded and fixed the 35mm film print. I have been to many DCP video failed movies at many other theatres and the digital projector does not come up that fast like they did at the Castro showing 35mm film when It broke.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-05-2016 09:01 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would speculate that what happened was that the print (if it really was a studio archive print) came with a sheet in the box stating that anyone who cuts and splices it will be taken to a cellar and introduced to The Gimp; that the print had edge or perf damage, or a bad splice, that the projectionist thought (s)he wasn't allowed to repair it and had to take the risk anyway, and that this was the result you see on the screen.

I'd further speculate that it was a Warners' archive print. Almost all the Sony and NBC Universal ones that pass through my hands are near pristine (have only been shown once or twice, and in many cases, I suspect, have only been used for taping), Paramount ones vary, but the Warners ones are usually worn out grindhouse garbage. In my reports I grade at least 3/4 of all the Warners prints I play as poor or bad for pix quality. They clearly don't examine them before sending them out: they just throw them into Goldbergs and stick a copy of that notice in there, hot off the photocopier. I even had one 70mm print of The Wild Bunch recently in which all the mag tracks on every reel were totally blank - the print had no sound on it at all! We ended up having to show a BD, and with some seriously p!ssed off customers. If Warners inspected their archive prints properly before sending them out, there is no way that this one would ever have been shipped.

Many have been built up and stripped down almost to death, and have 3-4 ID frames with multiple layers of tape over them at the starts and ends, and sometimes the tape splice is on one side only. We all know that this isn't going to end well if left untouched before projection, but these prints still come with official notices in the cans ordering me not to touch them, or else. Never mind the fact that the "or else" is that a loop will be lost and 1-2 feet of film destroyed rather than just 1-2 frames cut out and replaced with a viable splice...

Incidentally, getting the show back on the sheet very quickly after a film break isn't necessarily a mark of good craftsmanship. It may indicate a hasty and careless rethread, leaving fingerprints and goodness knows what else on the screen. I'd much rather take three minutes rather than 1, and repair and rethread the film without causing any more damage than has been done by the break already.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-06-2016 12:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We played "The Ten Commandments" in 1990, and to my surprise, the print came with a "THIS PRINT MAY NOT BE PLAYED ON A PLATTER SYSTEM" notice in the can. But the leaders had been spliced on, so I knew it had at least been assembled onto large reels before.

I called our booker who told me he had informed Paramount that we were a platter house, and therefore it was a mistake at their office or the depot. He got permission from them for me to platter it since the print had already been cut. I can still hear his voice saying, "I made them a solemn promise that you wouldn't damage it!"

I was always careful with every print, but I think I probably was the most careful ever with that one.... it was a gorgeous print. Perfect shape. (And it left here that way too.)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-06-2016 01:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of studio archive prints were treated as regular release prints (i.e. no restrictions on their use such as a "no building up" rule) initially; indeed, many are actual surviving prints from the original release, the one or two (relatively) good ones that were pulled for future repertory use at the end of the run. Some are showprints that were made for a specific festival or screening, and some are taping prints: those are usually very nice. But the ex-circulation prints are just that, with all the wear, tear and evidence of poor handling that you'd expect from one.

As film projection became rarer with the transition to digital, these prints were magically designated "archival," and the sheets in the can threatening the death penalty for anyone who platters them started to appear.

The irony is that many of these prints are in such rough shape already that if I were to platter one, interlock it through 20 screens for a week, with projectors that had never been cleaned and with a guy chain smoking next to each projector all the while, then packed it off and returned it, whoever inspected it upon return would never know (well, they might notice that the reel end splices had been done right and wonder what was up with that, but that's it).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: