Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD: Cant Stop The Music (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD: Cant Stop The Music
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2003 03:14 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I admit it. I LIKE this film enough to plunk down cash from a gift certificate to get it!

It's an awful film, but since Nancy Walker (TV's "Rhoda" charactor)directed it, it cant be all bad.

Crest National did the transfer. Except for some garbage on the right side of the image during the AFD logo, the transfer is beautiful.

I have maintained a 3/4" video of this film that was recorded off satellite in 1980. To view it, I ran a VHS copy. Glorious mono sound.

This new DVD is recorded in DTS (6.1.) I've got Dolby surround. The room is filled with that good old thumping disco sound. I can hear things that I've never heard on the mono version. Lots of things happening in the rear channels, too.

The satellite version was flat pan & scan. This edition is widescreen 2:35, or so it says on the box.

I really think that the people that made this film were high on something. Might account for the high production costs--$20 million bucks!

I can use this film for those 'retro' days that happen when one begins to age.

If you liked the Village People, Valerie Perrine, and Bruce Jenner all in one film, you'll love this one.

[ 05-30-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Bruce McGee ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-29-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie in [Eek!] 70MM [Eek!] 6 Track Dolby Stereo when it opened in Hollywood at the Paramount Theatre. That room rocked, we also ran a late screening one night over at the Cinerama Dome for some friends.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was my holy grail and I bought it on release day. The old VHS from HBO Video was pan and scan and mono, and it only came out on laserdisc in Japan and I think that was also pan and scan! The DVD is absolutely beautiful.
Baskin-Robbins had a Flavor Of The Month tie-in with this movie called Can't Stop The Nuts. That's why there's a brief product-placement in the film.
The movie of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees ruining Beatles songs is coming later this year, but when are we gonna get Thank God It's Friday?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2003 04:00 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't Stop the Music was released to theaters in 1980 so it couldn't have been on HBO that year.

Also, $20 million was big-budget for 1980. Take inflation into account and that would be ~$35-40 million in today's money.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-29-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was released on June 20th, 1980.

Wow, a DVD of "Sgt. Pepper..." on Aug 12th. Another former 70MM release.

The Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood is having a rare screening of "Sgt. Pepper's....", on May 30th as part of a musical film fest.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 02:28 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"CAN"T STOP THE MUSIC" was the very first Dolby Stereo film to play at the Waikiki Twins. House #2 got the Dolby first and that's where the film played. Althought the Twins was set up for 70mm, this film played at the the Waikiki in 35mm but the sound still rocked!

"SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEART CLUB BAND" opened it's exclusive first run Honolulu showing at the Waikiki #2 in 35mm and did not do too well there so it was moved over to the Cinerama. When the picture moved over, a wonderful thing had happened. The film continued it's first run at the Cinerama not in 35mm but in full blown 70mm and the presentation was wonderful. I enjoyed it so much, I stayed over and watched it again. Before I saw the movie, I did not know too much about the Beatles music but after I saw the movie, I loved the group although they were not in the movie to perform their songs. I thought Peter Frampton was good although many hated his performance.

-Claude

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 09:37 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my old copy in either late 1980 or early 1981. It was not on HBO. I cant remember the satellite service name, but will post it when I remember it.

I'd LOVE to have seen CSTM in 70mm.

EDIT: I changed my original post from a cable copy to satellite.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse wrote about CSTM :

quote:
Baskin-Robbins had a Flavor Of The Month tie-in with this movie called Can't Stop The Nuts.
You're kidding right? I hope so...
[Eek!] Don't tell me it also had marshmellow swirls in it!

Danny

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably TRUE, Dan. LOTS of inane tie-ins in those days. I myself actually bought the DVD, for those one of a kind nostalgia things (like XANADU!) I loved the "attemt" to heterosexualize the Village Idiots (oops! People).
BTW, the film grossed less than 2 mil domestic!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time we see Samanthas apartment in the film, Jack and Felipe are drinking Dr. Pepper... with their fingers over the labels on the bottles.

When I worked in TV in 1980, we ran a videotaped one-hour special promoting this film. Cant remember the name, though. All I do remember is that it showed up hours before its start time. I sure wish that I had made a copy of it now! I never even saw it!

I remember the Baskin-Robbins flavor. I dont like nuts, so I never bought that one. Lets not go there. [Smile]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was visiting my Aunt in Chicago when this film came out. Saw it in 70mm. About 30 seconds into the film, I leaned over to her and said "The Turkey-o-meter just went off. This is going to be BAD." And indeed, it was. I do just happen to have the theatre program for this fine film, however. Who would not think the YMCA number is a masterpiece? It earned even less than HEAVEN'S GATE that year.

As for SGT. Pepper, also in 70mm in Chicago. It was bad, no one went to see it, but EARTH WIND AND FIRE just blew the roof off the place at the end. I also came back and saw it again. I don't remember anything else about it other than EW&F. Looking forward to picking it up when it released and playing it LOUD.

Now, where is that Deluxe Edition of XANADU we've been waiting for!

Sam Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Sam Wells III   Email Sam Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I had to drive from my home town to see it because they were not going to show it.
This was my first movie in dolby stereo WOW!!! I freaked at all the sounds that were coming from the screen and around the room.

I too have purchased the DVD I love it!!!!

Sam Wells III

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xanadu's been on DVD for awhile, with the discrete 4-track mag soundtrack. Wish they'd included the matrix stereo as well, though it does have a French-dubbed track with the songs still in English.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-03-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 35mm original prints of "Xanadu" were optical Dolby Stereo.
I have handled two original faded Dolby prints of "Xanadu".

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a 4-track mag print in London?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: