Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Trek: TOS box sets (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Trek: TOS box sets
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally......

(from "The Digital Bits" page)

10/16/03

Okay, folks... this was going around the Net yesterday as something in the works for Region 2, so I thought we'd get the skinny for you about Region 1. I've officially confirmed with Paramount that complete season box sets of Star Trek: The Original Series are in the planning stages for DVD release here in the States. However, you probably shouldn't expect them until after most of the work on the Star Trek: Voyager complete season DVDs is finished. Voyager is expected to be released, a season at a time, throughout 2004. I'm told that late 2004 is a possibility for TOS, but they might not be released until 2005. This is definitely going to happen, but it's early in the planning and plenty is still up in the air. So don't start warming up those phasers just yet.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa79.html#tosevent

[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Daniel Wright   Email Daniel Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the Dvds of the original series going to be uncut? A few years ago the Sci-Fi channel was showing the eppsodes with footage that had been removed for syndication.
Is this going to be on the new Dvds?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea. I can't imagine them selling an edited version unless they tell you. I'm sure they'd have lots of returns. Who'd buy it anyway?
ScFi channel edits (as do others) so they can get more commercials in the hour. It's extremely annoying to me. I know all of them by heart having watched them from day one (over and over and over) so when I see an unscheduled commercial and when you come back there's a chunk missing I get real upset.
Let's hope they offer some extras, like the blooper reel, and I don't mean that horrible 16mm dupe that you see here and there, which doesn't have all the bloopers anyway.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek Original series is already out on DVD, though they are only 2 episodes per disc (low compression and great picture quality) and they are unedited. They also include the "coming soon trailers" for the episodes in question. They really should just release box sets of these discs, as they are great. If they compressed them more to make more episodes fit on a disc, then they'd be ruined. The current DVDs are all 24p and look fantastic. They also have a psuedo 5.1 mix, though it is very minimal.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe
Talking about squeezing stuff onto discs...
I was a little worried about the Farscape box sets I got that are region 4. They put 4 episodes on one disc. I don't know if it's because it's in PAL or what but the 4 on 1 discs look better than the 2 on 1 discs that I got that are region 1. Maybe the squishing technology has gotten better?
But the real bonus in getting the box sets is price. Even at the cheapest place I could find on the net, the entire Trek: TOS collection would have cost over $600. The box sets will bring this way down and I (and a lot of people who have been waiting) will buy them all

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 12:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've mentioned this before, but the picture quality of most episodes of STOS is excellent. Even the old laserdiscs looked great. Whether it's by luck or by plan, these look sharp and crisp, with bright saturated primary colors. Very nice considering the age of the source material. I guess we can at least partly thank 35mm film origination for that?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-06-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. The original Star Trek series was shot on 35mm Kodak FILM. [Smile] Great image quality for something shot over 35 years ago. Advances in telecine technology have made recent transfers from older film series better than ever, even available in HD.
[Cool]

http://www.sunsetpost.com/dvdprod.html

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Trek conventions in the 70s in Seattle, they used to show the episodes in 35mm. In between they'd run the 35mm blooper reel which was refered to as the "inter-mission". It was at one of these conventions that the blooper reel was stolen [Frown]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 07:32 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Desilu Studios was quality-oriented. The beautiful negatives of ST:TOS is probably due to careful negative storage.

I saw an I LOVE LUCY 35mm print many years ago. Beautiful, sharp, and almost 3D-looking.

Back in the day, (1970's) I ran ST in 16mm in an independent station uncut. They ran around 50-51 minutes. The prints were all labeled as syndication prints. I never really noticed if there was any footage missing compared to the network versions.
All of our prints were missing the 'next voyage' trailers, and all 'bridges' ("This is William Shatner. Tonights episode of STAR TREK will continue in a moment.") BUT, we asked for, and got, a set of the trailers. We ran them now and then with the shows.

Ahh, the memories of indie TV before FOX...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-07-2003 08:19 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On August 18, 2002, John D. Lowry of Lowry Digital Images, Inc., posted
the following on the Cinematography Mailing List (cml-hdtv):

quote:
"I have had the privilege of 2K scanning and processing images from the "I Love Lucy" series in recent weeks. The film we worked with, shot in 1953, has a quality level which can only be exceeded today by the use of the newer color films. (In fact we recommended that these programs should be scanned at 4K to capture, for the long term future, everything on these aging 50 year old films.)

The very best television image capture systems in 1953 used black and white 525 lines or 625 lines and kinescope recordings. Video tape did not come along for another three years. Had these wonderful programs been shot with the latest electronic equipment at that time the results would have been effectively lost forever. How do you feel "The Honeymooners" kinescopes look today?

Film created via HD 24P 1920 X 1080 capture, presents reasonable images on the theatre screen (Eg: Spy Kids 2). The audience probably does not notice the difference between film and HD capture since the pre-emphasis of the low frequency information appears to carry the resolution at an acceptable level. Lots of close-ups work very well. (Close-ups look good almost regardless of resolution since we already have too much information about the face. The details of the pores in the skin are just not necessary.) The subtle details in long shots are a tougher issue for HD and are often lost due to the bandwidth constraints of the present system.

In my opinion both HD and film have a place in the capture of motion pictures today from an economics perspective. But, if you are interested in the long term value of a special motion picture property to be shot today, history suggests that film has significant advantages.

John D. Lowry
Lowry Digital Images, Inc.
Burbank, CA"

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-30-2005 09:25 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 450 days since the last post.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-30-2005 09:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just cracked open my Christmas present of Star Trek TOS (complete all three seasons).

They have 4 episodes per disc plus trailers and on the last disc of each season there are the extras. The last disc of Season 3 has The Cage for completeness.

The quality of the pictures are EXCELLENT. I owned most of TOS on Laser and yes they too are excellent. I've only watched one episode thus far...City on the Edge of Forever. I was surprised at the amount of film damage on the transfer...dirt, scratches and such. All of the "stock footage" was very dirty and it probably was. The scratches I thought odd. The color was good and the overall look was stunning...very film like. I view it on a front-projection system with an image height of about 5-feet or so (much bigger than they could have ever intended for it to be seen in the '60s).

They look much better than the bulk of the Hollywood Feature films. Speaking of which, why doesn't Walt Disney Pictures transfer their DVDs in an anamorphic format to retain as much detail as possible (for 16:9 systems)?

Steve

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-30-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was amazed at how good the laserdiscs looked. I'm gonna have to check out the DVDs now. [Cool] Someone at Paramount has treated those TOS episodes with a lot of TLC. They look better than the Star Trek feature films.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2005 01:20 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were the original episodes in mono? & has the sound been re engineered?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-31-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the original episodes were mono...that is all there was in TV land back then. They have been re-engineered for a stereo like effect. I've only viewed one episode thus far but they didn't get too fancy...dialog out of center...add some effects into surrounds, if appropriate. It actually reminds me of a Perspecta like mix...there isn't anything there that wasn't in the original, just placed in more places if it worked....when in doubt though...fold it all down into Center.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: