Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blade Runner - Director's Cut, then Final Cut (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Blade Runner - Director's Cut, then Final Cut
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-26-2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rotton Tomatoes: Scott's Final Cut of "Blade Runner" is Coming!

Posted by Scott Weinberg on Friday, May. 26, 2006, 03:29 AM

Scott Weinberg writes: "After years of anticipation, the fans of Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner" will soon be able to experience the director's "intended cut," which promises to be different from the theatrical cut, the international cut, and the previous director's cut. It's all very confusing, but this particular flick is worth the trouble.

Variety irons it out nicely: "Warner's rights to "Blade Runner" lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The pic, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The restored "Director's Cut" will debut on homevid in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium. "Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials."

That's a lotta Blade Running."

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007
To be followed in 2009 by the SuperDuper Ultimate Cut [Big Grin]

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 03:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run
My prediction: not only will it be 35mm only, and not only will it probably not be printed on Kodak 2393 like it should be, but also all those gorgeous 65mm SFX shots will be ruined from passing through a crappy, low-res 2K digital intermediate.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 03:19 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least there will be prints of it! its been awhile since its played on the big screen in my neck of the woods.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That'll be awesome to see on the big screen. I've seen the Original Version and the Director's Cut. Can't wait to see it in theatrical release, plus buying the DVD Set.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-27-2006 04:18 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran the original in 1982 .. what a flik that was..loved Harrison Ford's voiceover in that version. Then three years later out came, with an slightly new actor named Tom Cruise..Scott came out with "Legend"

-Monte

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2006 09:49 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could care less about the latest perversion of the original release film, but I sure am glad to hear the the original release version is FINALLY going to be out on DVD. They've been hagling over this release for years.

Now it's a classic, but when it was released, it bombed at the box office and was panned by the critics. Not Star Warsy or Alieny enough I guess.

What drives me nuts, is everybody loves to slam the narration. I guess they don't understand that it's supposed to be a detective (Marlow) type film (1940s) set in the future. I guess they have never seen one, so they don't know.

Anyway, glad they are finally going to put out the original

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2006 09:22 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is when they took out the narration, they did not trim the scenes. What was left was sections of the film with absolutly nothing happening for extended periods of time, which worked when you had the voice over, but didn't work without it.

Like Greg, I am a fan of the original version of the film. The Director's Cut was very poorly done.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-07-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote's for the voice-over version as well. Everytime I saw the 'Director's Cut' I couldn't stop thinking the centre channel's gone when there was no v/o.

Loved this film from the first moment I saw it. Bring on the DVD.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-07-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure the audio is 5.1 and the video is anamorphic enhanced. Those two points are why I have militantly avoided the previously available shit version.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-07-2006 08:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They can double-dip as much as they want. As far as I'm concerned the final cut was released in 1982.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-09-2006 03:47 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In excess of 99% of all the people who like versions of BladeRunner without the voiceover are nuts BECAUSE EVERYONE OF THEM HAS THE INFO FROM THE VOICEOVER STILL STUCK IN THE RECESSES OF THEIR MINDS whether they like it or not. They come to the film already knowing the content of Deckard's musings. And Mitchell's comment about how the scenes die without the voiceover are so correct.

BTW, anyone know how many words in all the voiceovers? In 12 pt. type the entire series of voiceovers takes up 2/3rds of a page and is only 416 words. I wonder how many words have been used about those 416 words?

I just tried to book this from Warner Classics two weeks ago and Marilee said the producers and others are "fighting" over rights and no film rental are available at this time. Horsepucky!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-31-2007 02:11 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 416 days since the last post.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-31-2007 02:11 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump for an update. In this day and age, where's the HD DVD / Blu-ray release??? [Big Grin]
At least it's going to get a limited release in theaters again.

From MSN Movies:
quote:
A Final Cut For Blade Runner

It's hard to believe, but there have already been three different versions of Ridley Scott's landmark sci-fi thriller "Blade Runner" released in some form or another. There was the 1982 theatrical version that featured Harrison Ford's controversial character narration as Deckard and the Deckard-Rachael (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape. The version most people saw was the cut that was released on home video and played on cable up until 1992. It was actually the international version that was unrated and featured extended action sequences.

After years of rumors about the ending, Scott released a 1992 director's cut in which he removed the Ford narration and the "happy ending" and added the infamous "unicorn" sequence, which suggested that Deckard was a replicant as well -- all how he originally intended the movie to be cut. Most recently, though, a rare version of the film was found in the Warner Bros. archives that was radically different in more ways than can be described here. Confused? Don't be, because Scott and Warner Bros. have now teamed up on a new "Blade Runner: Final Cut" just in time for the film's 25th anniversary. This new "definitive" version, according to Scott, contains added and extended scenes, new and cleaner special effects, and that all-important 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. And it should be the version you judge the film by.

Scott's legendary career includes "Alien," "Legend," "Thelma & Louise" and the Oscar-winning "Gladiator," but "Blade Runner" arguably still stands as his greatest artistic achievement. Scott came down to speak to the fans at San Diego's Comic-Con this past weekend and spent hours indulging questions from the press. This work on a new "Final Cut" all came to be after the Santa Monica Film Festival asked for a print of the movie. Someone in Warner Bros.' archives found a 65-millimeter print of the movie that it turns out had been the last preview version of the film (Scott recalls them "previewing it to death").

"It started off with Vangelis music and a little bit of Jerry Goldsmith's, and at the end of it, people sort of sat there flabbergasted, thinking, 'Wait a minute, that's not the film I remember,'" Scott says. "That's what really created this interest and also showed the studio there is a lot of interest still in this film."

Although Scott had come off "Alien" and thousands (as he puts it) of award-winning TV commercials, he wasn't prepared for all the "cooks" who wanted a say in the editing of "Blade Runner." The producers and studio executives had forced the new ending and voice-over (which angered Ford for years), and Scott says he just didn't have the energy to fight it at the time.

"There was a lot of hell and I think I did get cross doing it and making it," Scott recalls. "But out of it came, remarkably, a film that still stands on its own legs after 25 years. It gets better as it gets older."

"Blade Runner: The Final Cut" opens in New York and Los Angeles Oct. 5. It debuts on DVD Dec. 18.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2007 10:18 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD Release Date: 12/18/2007 Retailer Pre-Order Date: 11/12/2007.

HD-DVD release also announced.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: