Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Gallagher: The Sledge-O-Matic Collection

Author Topic: Gallagher: The Sledge-O-Matic Collection
Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-14-2006 04:49 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was a Gallagher thread, but upon searching I found that it was just random quotes, in random quotes threads.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 ... a great day for all self-respecting comedy lovers. For it was on this day that the Gallagher 4-disc DVD collection was released to the public.

I know there are a few Gallagher fans here, and I wanted to bring to their attention this fantastic addition to anyone's personal DVD library. I picked up my copy at Best Buy for $29.99, which was a great deal, and now ... don't you wanna know how it works?!

"Lock Up Your Watermelons:
The Ultimate Gallagher Collection Is Here!
14 Complete Concert Specials Loaded With Sledge-O-Matic Madness!"

Collection Includes:

Mad As Hell
Two Real
Stuck In The 60's
The Maddest
Melon Crazy
Over Your Head
The Bookkeeper
Overboard
We Need A Hero
Messing Up Texas
An Uncensored Evening
Totally New
Smashing Cheeseheads (*edited for language)
Sledge-o-Matic.com

Color / 764 Minutes / Not Rated

As of the moment, I've only watched the first one. But I recognize a good many of the other titles, and I know I'm in for a treat. I've got to save them, though ... this may be a rival for best drinking-night viewing material, ever! I've got beers in my fridge, so who wants to come join me Friday night? I'll put a tarp up so the first four rows won't get wet.

[Wink] [beer]

"How about a Zen Laxative? ... All things must pass."

[ 06-14-2006, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Brian Michael Weidemann ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is good news, I'll have to get this.

Personally I think it's kind of sad that Gallagher's most known for the Sledge-O-Matic, because his comedy is actually very insightful and smart. You have to be "in the know" politically and socially to get a lot of his jokes....he reminds me of Dennis Miller or latter-day George Carlin but without the anger. He also does "gadget comedy" better than Carrot-Top ever could.

My favorite episode in that list is "The Bookkeeper" which contains my all time favorite Gallager line: "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket."

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 02:15 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to smash your melon.

But last October 25, Anchor Bay released another collection called Gallagher-The Smashing Watermelon Collection ,it features 11 of the shows that are in the new 14 show collection called Gallagher: The Sledge-O-Matic Collection. It shows that Anchor Bay is doing their old Double Dipping video releases again.

review

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-14-2006 05:04 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, damn that Anchor Bay. I wasn't aware of that previous collection. I guess they just tacked on another disc, eh? Well, this one appears to run the full gamut of his "work", unless there are other specials or appearances anyone knows of.

I watched another two (randomly selected) from the set. Many of his clever observations don't have the same impact these days, because many of them seem overhashed. "We park in driveways, yet we drive on parkways. Cargo goes by ship, a shipment goes by truck. ... You girls have a PAIR of panties, but just ONE bra." If he originated this stuff, it's gold, because it's been quoted for years and years. He is, indeed, very insightful.

And yes, the props and gadgets and crap are the best the business ever saw. [Big Grin]

(By the way, sorry moderator for the wrong forum ... I'd originally intended a general Gallagher thread, merely featuring the DVD collection, but it does appear to fit better here.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-14-2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My other favorite (also from "The Bookkeeper") is when he talks about cats being picky eaters.

"Won't eat the food you've got for him, and then goes over there and licks his butt. They oughta make butt-flavored cat food!"

and another one:

"I'm against woman firefighters, because when they're out draggin' them big hoses around all day, there's nothing a man can whip out at night to impress 'em."

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-15-2006 03:30 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I wish there was a knob on the TV so you could turn up the intelligence. There's one that says 'Brightness' but it don't work."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-15-2006 04:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Why do they call 'em 'buildings' when they're already done buildin' 'em? Oughta call 'em 'builts.' Or 'crumblings.' And why do they call 'em apartments when they're all stuck together?"

"I used to skip school -- you know what they'd do? They'd kick me out! Isn't that stupid punishment? 'He won't come, we won't let him. Fix his ass.'"

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is good news in dead.

You want that cheese burger to go? [BLAM] It's gone!

We need a graemlin with a big hammer.

A few days later...I just picked up The Gallagher Sledge-o-matic 4 disc collection, and can't wait to start watching it. Thanks for the heads up on this, Brian.

[ 06-18-2006, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Hansen ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-25-2006 11:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there's at least one more show that isn't included.... Showtime once ran a "best of Gallagher" special that had clips from the various shows, and it featured some footage that isn't included here.

Very cool Sledge pop-up cover though.

I think the best shows are the middle ones, starting with Stuck in the 60s and ending with Overboard. Classic stuff.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-30-2006 05:15 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many shows here I hadn't seen before. And even considering that he recycles some material from show to show, there's plenty new stuff I hadn't even heard before.

Even if there are more shows not included here, I will not buy another edition; that I'm sure of. This is more than enough. And, besides, $30 is more than enough to see smashing watermelons.

I bought my dad a copy of this for Father's Day (since it's his fault I'm screwed up and like this crap), and he loved it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: