Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Digital VCRs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital VCRs
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-19-2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I won a TV set at ShoWest last year (by accident, I hadn't realized that I took part in the drawing), I had to get cable TV. I quickly found out that on over 70 channels I now have, there is rarely anything on I need/want to watch. And if there is, I have no time. So, the logical next step would be to get a VCR. I haven't followed the development in that area in the last few years at all, so can you give me an overview what's out there, what the options and features are?
Also, what about connectivity and use of the PC to burn the few shows that I may want to keep beyond the capability of the hard drive in the VCR on CD or DVD (after editing out all the damn commercial breaks)?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I haven't had a TV in 3-years, but if I were to get one, I would also get a DVR.

You mentioned Cable, is it Comcast? If it is then you need to look at this page.

If you had a Satellite Dish you could also get a DVR from them. There are many 3rd party suppliers and the computer savvy can rig their own, but I would just go with whoever your TV provider is.

That said, you could always ditch the cable, just watch the terrestrial broadcast and if the program is any good, Net Flicks will have it on DVD shortly.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-20-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I have Cox, but they have a DVR program, too. Maybe I will look into that.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-20-2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recomend the cox DVR. I cant imgine going without it. It is very easy to use. I dont think it has conectivity for the PC though.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-21-2006 06:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they have a free 30-day trial for Cox DVR, so I will try that. The "catch" is that I will also have to upgrade to basic digital cable which is "only" $7.49 or so more ("only" because the basic cable service isn't exactly cheap either at $40 or so) and rent the DVR for $9.99/month which isn't too bad, but at the same time, I may want to investigate actual digital VCRs which work in the "classical" way. I don't really need that many channels as digital cable offers (240 channels [Eek!] ), I simply can't imagine there is much more interesting stuff on than on the 70 I already have.
We will see.
BTW, according to the lady on the phone, the content can be burned on an attached DVD burner/PC with DVD burner, but I don't know if that is true or if she simply didn't know what she was talking about. Chances are I may not want to keep most of the stuff I record, but there may be good shows once in a while that I may want to keep after all. I understand the DVR has a capacity of about 50h.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-23-2006 09:47 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Cox digital cable has better picture quality than Comcast digital. Comcast's digital cable picture is roughly the same quality as a youtube video made on a $25 webcam.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 02:51 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But- but- it's DIGITAL! That means it's perfect!

quote: Michael Schaffer
Since I won a TV set at ShoWest last year (by accident, I hadn't realized that I took part in the drawing), I had to get cable TV.
That's like saying "Since I got a VCR (or DVD player), I had to get a membership at Blockbuster."

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-23-2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as with any DTV provider, there is artifacting which is noticeable to those who know what to look for. But, unlike satalite DTV providers, digital cable also continues to feed the analog signal through as well.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-23-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the Cox DVR today. They also give you the full cable package free for 30 days to lure you into buying all those packages then. Let's see if I can resist that temptation!
I don't think it will be too difficult, though, because it seems that all the "movie channels" only have full screen versions, and yes, the image quality appears to be even worse than regular cable, if I am not fooling myself. There is also a constant "snow drift" in many channels, those wavy lines that move slowly across the screen. That sucks. It is probably aggravated by the TV which is an LCD flat screen, and those don't look too great anyway.

Hooking up and operating the DVR is extremely easy - that is good, since I am not really technical and all that! - and the functionality really is very good, with the program guide from which you can select and schedule programs to be recorded. You can even record two programs at once and watch a third, but not from live TV, only a previously recorded program. The good thing is the pause and rewind function, no matter if you record or watch live. That way, you can simply start watching a program live 10 minutes after it has started, and just >>> through the commercial breaks.

The box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 - a company of which I had never heard before and it does have an SATA output. At this point, it is not entirely clear to me just how you are going to download content from the unit onto an SATA hard disc since there don't seem to be any options in the menu for that. I haven't played with SATA at all yet anyway, so I don't know much about that kind of connectivity.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-23-2006 10:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you get more options when a SATA drive is connected and detected?

Comcast analog cable is actually pretty good here. I'm sure I'll be one of the last holdouts to switch to digital cable unless they drastically improve the picture (or when they drop analog entirely). I'm speaking of standard definition image quality, not HD. Comcast's HD is indistinguishable from over-the-air HD to me. So I'll give them credit for that at least.

One of the most annoying things about digital TV to me is you can't channel-surf quickly like you can on analog. Every time you change the channel, you have to wait for the tuner to gather in enough bits to make picture and sound, usually anywhere from 2-5 seconds. Am I spoiled or what.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and, downunder, the sound is often out of sync on HD. You can fix it by switching to analog then back to HD but it makes surfing a washout.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-24-2006 02:37 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As easy and convenient as the DVR setup is, I don't really think I need the upgrade to digital cable with all those additional channels full of crap. What's the situation with just standalone video recorders which hook into the standard cable connection, basically digital VCRs?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-24-2006 08:43 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know (I might be wrong) the only consumer digital VCR is a D-VHS machine made by JVC. I haven't seen it in stores recently so I don't know if it's still being made. It got rave reviews for picture quality (doesn't Brad have one?) and there were some HD movies released in that format. But it seemed like a stop-gap product, what with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on the horizon.

EDIT: JVC had at least 3 models: HM-DH30000, HM-DH40000, and HM-DSR100RU. Apparently Mitsubishi also made a D-VHS unit.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-24-2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, are you talking about DVRs or PVRs? If it's PVRs my roommate is using two (a Panasonic Replay and a Tivo) to record just regular OTA signals, no cable, no digital, no HD... yet. He upgraded both with larger drives to handle more recording time.

The newer PVRs come with some sort of LAN connectivity to be able to archive old content onto an external PC's drive. The present machines only have analog video and audio outs.

Both machines use the phone to call and download broadcast schedule information about every two weeks, while the newer ones use a broadband connection. The menu systems for both are easy to use, and once you set up your preferences, pretty much transparent. All of the shows you select will be ready for viewing whenever you like. There are options for things like recording quality vs. recording time, and what to do when the drive gets full, i.e. record over the oldest shows on the disc or just not record.

I don't watch enough TV to warrant buying such things myself but I have to say they are fun to use. As you mentioned, watching a current broadcast in near-real-time is fun as you can indeed zip-squeal through the commercials (I start to watch the news about 10 minutes after it begins and I'm pretty close to real-time by the end of a half-hour). The machine is always recording to disc from the last channel it's tuned to (you can set how much time you want it to retain), and the viewer is always seeing output from the disc, which is delayed a couple of seconds from real-time.

The TV Guide-like schedule function is what makes the thing so slick to use - without that it's just a disc recorder. The schedule is a paid subscription service, though once in a while Tivo has offered lifetime subscriptions. That's what my roommate has.

[ 04-08-2007, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-24-2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's strange there don't seem to be more digital VCRs simply as substitutes for analog VCRs out there which record whatever source you are watching, OTA, analog or digital cable. The field seems to be pretty much monopolized by DVR and TiVO systems. In an age where lots of people make their own home movies, edit and burn them on DVD, I would have thought there should be more digital VCRs which just allow you to record stuff and transfer it to the PC for editing and burning.
The COx DVR thing really works very nicely, except that the image quality seems to be really worse than even regular cable - I haven't spend any time yet directly comparing them by switching the same program with the same quality between the direct cable input and the DVR system - and what really bothers me and might be the deal breaker is that "snow drifting" or "water ripple" effect it produces on my LCD TV. Since I rarely watch movies on TV anyway, for news, documentaries, the odd soccer game, that kind of stuff, I don't get too hung up about the image quality. But the DVR image is just a click or two worse than acceptable.
Another factor is that I would rather invest in a hard disc recorder to own than pay "only" $10 or so every month for the DVR but over time, that money is simply lost. The functionality as such is great. Since I don't watch a whole lot of TV either, but rarely ever have the time to watch what I want, it makes all the difference for me between having a TV setup that I can't use when I want to and only use once or twice a week, or using it more effectively since I have it anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: