Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Getting rid of LaserDisc stuff

Author Topic: Getting rid of LaserDisc stuff
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2006 10:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a fairly big LaserDisc fan, but these days they only annoy me with their presence. I've rarely watched them and I see no reason to keep them. So therefore I'd like to get rid of all of my LD's and equipment. I figured I'd offer them to people here first before eBay since, well, yeah. Anyway, feel free to make me an offer (via here or PM if you prefer). Condition for all discs is very good and they are complete (ie: they all have the jackets and plastic "disc-wrap" thingies. Some have outer jackets if they were included in the original purchase. Catalog numbers, more detailed descriptions and photos available upon request.

Here's what I have:

HARDWARE:

Pioneer DVL-700 LaserDisc/DVD Player - Switches sides automatically, plays DVDs, has optical, coaxial and RF (for AC-3) out. It seems to get confused sometimes when it switches back from side two and hangs. System only, no box, no instructions, remote included.

Kenwood AC-3 RF Demodulator DEM-999D - This converts the wimpy LaserDisc RF Dolby Digital into something useful, like real Dolby Digital code, the same output by DVD players. This is required to listen to LaserDiscs in Dolby Digital on any receiver built after 1998 most likely. No box or instructions, but it only does one thing.

LASERDISC SOFTWARE:
Many LDs I have are DTS. It is easier to play DTS LDs than Dolby Digital LDs. Any receiver made 2000 or after most likely has a DTS input. Just connect the "digital out" of ANY LaserDisc player to the reciever and you'll get full LD DTS sound. Note that I will not use the term "widescreen" here since LaserDiscs are not anamorphic. Instead I will state "Letterbox" or not.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Stereo - Letterbox

Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition - Episodes IV, V, & VI. Dolby Digital, THX, letterbox, no Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi, etc (these are the theatrical Special Edition releases). Includes bonus disc. Complete with box and all that good stuff.

True Lies - DTS - Letterbox - Tom Arnold included in package.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - DTS - Letterbox

Speed - Dolby Digital - Letterbox

Tiny Toon Adventures: How I spent My Vacation - Side 2 = CAV - The audience is now deaf

Titanic - DTS - Letterbox - Includes outer plastic jacket that goes over the regular cardboard jacket.

Gate to the Mind's Eye - DTS - CAV - Endorsed by Thomas Dolby who invented Dolby Digital.

Crimson Tide - Dolby Digital - Letterbox

Saving Private Ryan - Dolby Digital - Letterbox - Very loud.

Super Speedway (IMAX) - DTS - Smells like Paul Newman.

Jackie Chan's First Strike - Dolby Digital - Letterbox

Toy Story - DTS - Letterbox

Aladdin - CAV - Letterbox - Stereo

Seven - DTS - Letterbox

Braveheart - Special anti semite edition - Dolby Digital - Letterbox - Includes outer plastic jacket that goes over the regular cardboard jacket.

Jurassic Park - DTS - Letterbox - Features world-famous Jeff Goldblum.

Beauty and the Beast - CAV - Letterbox - Stereo

SuperCop - Dolby Digital - Letterbox - Jackie Chan

There ya go. Now BUY MY STUFF!

|  IP: Logged

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 12:57 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could grab the Player, and ac-3 decoder, but I'm poor. Though, out of curiousity, how much?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 01:06 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own most of the titles mentioned, so no interest from me. However, I predict you'll be able to move the DTS titles since the DVD versions of some of those don't include DTS (and those that are are the half bitrate versions).

quote: Joe Redifer
Braveheart - Special anti semite edition
Hilarious, Joe, as usual. [thumbsup] Coincidentally, just the other day I drove through Malibu (er, "Melibu" as the locals have renamed). One can just imagine the city limit sign reading: Welcome to Melibu. Home of Sugartits.

[ 10-10-2006, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-10-2006 01:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know how much. The killer would be the shipping since it's not small enough to fit in those "$8 ships all" USPS boxes. I'm getting $0 with it sitting there doing nothing. I paid about $950 for it originally. So I'm thinking in the neighborhood of around $100 or so for the player. The AC-3 decoder probably around $30-ish I would think.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2006 12:20 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, actually could afford that, both. Don't know about the shipping tho. That may break me. I may go for it, unless someone'll offer you more for it.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2006 12:25 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW Charles, you drive a hard bargain.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2006 12:45 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you say that? It's hard to get LD players, most combo players that are worth anything cost $1k. Unless you mean something else? Speak up. I made the comment about thers possibly offering more because I'm not gonig to deny him of someone willing to pay more, for something that'll be there just for me to play around with.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-11-2006 03:09 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The facts are posted. The rest should be kept personal. Please take this to email. Joe can post when it's no longer available.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: