Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » HD Version of Blazing Saddles in Stereo????

Author Topic: HD Version of Blazing Saddles in Stereo????
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2007 12:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rented Blazing Saddles in HD-DVD last night and low and behold the mix appears to have been done in Stereo. At any rate for an older film it sounds pretty darn good... also looks good... more likely better than you will ever see it on any existing film print. Were there any mag releases of BS at all in past years or has the track been re-done by Chase? If Chase did this its pretty respectable!!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-05-2007 01:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the original release was mono. I have the 30th anniversary DVD, with features both a mono track and a remixed 5.1 track. I don't know if Chace worked on it. It sounds decent (the music is the best produced part of it), but the mix is definitely more oriented to the front speakers.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2007 03:44 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark
also looks good... more likely better than you will ever see it on any existing film print.
Have you seen every release of the film? Including any IB techs, and LPP reissues?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought all the chains rented only BluRay.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a couple of prints and they looked DAMN good. One was an original Fuji and another was a more recent striking in pristine condition. No form of video (even the coveted "HD-DVD") could've come close to these prints.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2007 08:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen so many prints of it over the years I lost count. The best as for color were the IB's but the wear on them was pretty bad. The Eastmans looked poor and the Fuji's just passable.. the reds in all Fuji's lean slightly towards pink, its a characteristic of all the Fuji stocks except their reversal films. I thought the HD-DVD looked pretty darn good and even some of the characteristic IB colors come though pretty well that don't in the Eastmans and Fuji's.

The track was excellent for a film this old.

Mark

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-06-2007 07:00 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Were there any mag releases of BS
The film was a mono optical only release. Warner has remixed the film for it's 30th. Anniversary DVD in 2003. Fox does this all the time on many of their earlier films they release to DVD market. They offer the original mono mix and a remixed for stereo version.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-06-2007 07:27 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older Dolby Digital dvd of this film. It is DD 1.0. Really great mono. So I would assume that no release was other than mono.

BTW: the transfer is so good that the audio on the main title "improves" as time progresses. You can actually hear the warpage of the full coat on the beginning. Better about 30 seconds in. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: