Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » SW: Episode I.....my new baby (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SW: Episode I.....my new baby
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-28-2011 12:30 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a find and what a steal!

My new baby. I paid $4 for this. Super mind condition. I think it was never used as the plastic inserts inside the sleeves were perfect.

-

Argued as the greatest sounding laserdisc ever made!

# One of 3 Japan Only Dolby Digital EX 6.1 Releases
# The Last THX LaserDisc Manufactured
# Pressed in Limited Quantities on the 4th of July 2000
# English Language with Japanese Subtitles Outside the Picture
# Presented in the Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio of 2.35:1
# Original Theatrical Trailer

I can't wait to test it out.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-28-2011 01:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it is 5.1 EX. 6.1 implies 6.1 discrete channels and AC3 does not have that capability.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-28-2011 01:27 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I copied the bottom listing from DaDon's Laserdiscs. I have no idea what it is. It just says Dolby Digital on the back so if it is 5.1 then so be it.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-28-2011 02:00 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wanted this laserdisc very badly but could not justify paying the prices some of the import dealers were charging so I passed. I did get to see it projected at a high end home video equipment sales store and I was impressed with the picture and sound quality until the domestic DVD was released at a very affordable price. After I watched the DVD, I was very happy I did not buy the laser because the difference between the DVD and the laserdisc was like night and day

-Claude

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-28-2011 01:11 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claude, I don't have the DVD but I tested the LD last night and it sounds pretty amazing. Up there with Titanic and English Patient. It is also a pretty good looking picture as well.

This is my first Japanese market laserdisc. It was kind of cool to see Pioneer Logo before the Dolby Train and THX ads. I got it more for the "I have to have it" idea than anything else.

You are also right, the price is way too high to purchase new or online. I purchased it for $4 which was in a lot of old classics including Night of the Living Dead, Day the Earth Stood Still, 9 box sets etc which I also purchased. There was a lot of classics in this lot and throw in the LP records for Casablanca, John Carpenter's Halloween and a Clint Eastwood film and you have an amazing lot of movies for $4 each.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2011 02:57 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice find indeed Tom. I've had mine since it came out and have gotten a good amount of play out of it. It does sound really amazing too.

The image was great, but you might want to adjust your brightness a bit since American NTSC is slightly different from Japanese NTSC: typically the Japanese discs are darker than they should be on an American set.

Turn down the lights, crank up the sound, and have a blast!

AJG

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-28-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply Aaron. I noticed right away that this is a good looking laserdisc that will likely give the DVD a run for its money. I have heard that Japanese made LDs are often better than American made Lds.

Aaron. How many laserdiscs do you own?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2011 06:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own 76 titles, although I count the Star Wars SE as 1 title.

Funny, I think the collection may still grow a little.

AJG

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-28-2011 06:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great...except for the fact that it's The Phantom Menace.

[puke]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2011 08:07 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See John, I just try to pretend it isn't that bad. That, and I just have too much sentimental feeling for it. So bad, it's good, eh?

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-28-2011 08:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason it is so expensive is because it doesn't have Jar Jar in the artwork.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-29-2011 01:00 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman

Funny, I think the collection may still grow a little.

Are these from the past before dvd/blu-ray or do buy them now?

I am always on the look-out for lds. I think I am at 850+ with about 75 doubles.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2011 01:11 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I started collecting sometime in, I dunno, 1995 when I was in the 7th grade and have never stopped.

I didn't have 5.1 until I got a DVD player in 1998. Eventually, I upgrade my LD player too...maybe a year or so later. Even though I already had a bunch of AC3 titles, it grew even more after that.

I also find it funny that I find it easier to part with a DVD than a LaserDisc.

AJG

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-29-2011 03:11 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
I also find it funny that I find it easier to part with a DVD than a LaserDisc.
Aaron, funny that you mention the mid 90s. I started collecting 1995, my dad bought me a player and i remember I had to save up my money from my part time job at the cinema to go out a purchase a disc. I remember having to go out of my way to rent them at a store called Laserland, they were the only shop in my area. I would also travel all the way into the city to get new ones. So I think this has a lot to do with it.

I don't ever part with lds. I trade in my dvd once I pick up the ld version. For me, almost every laserdisc I own (lots included) have a story behind them. ie, driving to Montreal for 250 0f them, meeting some crazy devil worshipers for some, heading into Toronto for others...there is always a story, I can't say the same for dvds.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-29-2011 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those! My player doesn't work anymore, but I have that disk in my collection.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: