Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » projector for home cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: projector for home cinema
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2011 10:11 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boss ask me if there is a projector that can be use for home, that plays bery good quality dvd or blue ray.

any recomendations?

thanks

mike moreno
mexico

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2011 10:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, anything with 1920×1080 (2073k) video resolution output would work..

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2011 10:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not digital cinema. This is home video talk. Moving...

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2011 05:04 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say you have two dominate and different technologies avaliable for home projector market.

There is single chip DLP, its pros include great contrast and colors, its major drawback is the occasional distracting rainbows patterns that some (but not all) people can see. The increasing speed of the color wheels have had the effect of reducing the so called rainbow effect. Not all DLP projectors are equal!

3LCD, has less native contrast and the color has a slight difference compared to DLP but is totally free of the rainbow effect. Dynamic iris can fudge a better contrast ratio.
Color can still be very impressive.

High Definition projectors either 720p or 1080p will create impressive results with both DVD or Blu ray. If you like to sit close and watch a truly big picture, the 1080p combined with blu ray player will give the better results. 720p still holds up suprisingly well on a large screen and can give great bang for buck!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-02-2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The (larger size) LCDs that I have seen tend to age badly. After a few thousand hours, the image tends to have color shifts within it. I have been told that repairing this is almost never cost effective.

For a home video setup, you can also consider LCoS (Canon makes an interesting line of LCoS projectors; the image looks very smooth, without visible pixels, at the cost of poor contrast range). CRT projection is another option, although the image tends to be dim and the projectors are designed for short throws only (no zooms or interchangeable lenses).

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many choices...

Much depends on your budget and your quality demands. What you choose depends on the priorities you place on price and performance.

Here are some high bang-for-the-buck examples that may help jump-start your search (with street prices):

LCD: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 - $1300

Lots of performance for a previously unheard-of price. From what I've heard, it gets you 80% of the way to the next two models, at a much lower price.

LCD: Panasonic PT-AE4000U - $2000

LCD: PowerLite Home Cinema 8700UB Projector - $2000

These two are neck-and-neck competitors. The Panasonic has a cool lens memory feature which you might find useful. Both are well-regarded for their performance at their price point.

LCoS: JVC DLA-HD250 - $2500

Last year, projectors with this level of performance sold for $5,000. After releasing their latest and greatest new technology, JVC wisely figured that people would be willing to buy the older technology if it were at a better price. I can speak from first-hand experience that this is an amazing projector at a great price!

All comparisons between this model and the two above it are that they are in different leagues, even if their pricing doesn't necessarily show it. I've not been able to do a side-by-side comparison (feel free to search for plenty of reviews that have).

None of these do 3D, so if you're looking for that, you'll need to look at other models. JVC has some 3D models that start at around $4,000 street price. Epson was supposed to come out with a 3D model, but I think it is still delayed. Panasonic did not introduce 3D at last year's CEDIA show, so the AE4000 is a holdover from last year.

The AVS Forums have more knowledge and information than one person can absorb, but you'll find that it's a valuable resource to someone that wants to do the research into buying what's best for their particular situation.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-05-2011 03:37 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now if you are INSANELY rich, there is always the Runco line (unfortunate name as for a long time I thought it was that guy Ron Poliel's version of a cheap video projector). Cheap is hardly the word. Here's their top of the line 3 chip native 2048x1080 http://www.projectorcentral.com/Runco-Signature_Cinema_SC-1.htm It's the kind of projector that if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it. As far as I can see, at the price they want for this thing, you might as well must buy a DCinema Christie or Barco for less money and be done with it.

If you happen to like 3D (and, again, if you are filthy rich) you can get Runco's dual unit which will allow you to use passive polariod RealD type glasses (although they will sell you Runco Real3D glasses at about the same prices as active glasses, i.e., really expensive) http://www.projectorcentral.com/Runco-3DimensionSeries_D-73d.htm

Thing is, I don't know why you can't just get two good projectors and stack them to do this if you wanted to get 3D so you could project the less than a half dozen 3D titles that are available. Why AREN'T any of the four dozen 3D films being rushed to 3D releases? You would think every studio that released a 3D movie would be knocking down the walls to get their 3D product out there.

OK, so let's assume we are not going to put up a second mortage to buy a video projector, then I am really liking the JVC D-ILAs. I watched SOUND OF MUSIC at a friend's on a 12ft screen and I have to say, it was VERY impressive -- AWESOME contrast, no artifacts that jumped out at me and I tried to just block my brain from telling me that I was watching video and I could almost imagine that I was watching film. Almost. I swear, if I could get this kind of image in my HT, I would be a very happy pup.

Then again, maybe we should all wait for Laser light projector to hit the market.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2011 08:04 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are cheaper options with 3D Frank, one is the optoma hd67 720p projector and the 3D upgrade box, that includes 2x shutter glasses.

The upgrade box also will output I believe (but please check) 2x 1080p outputs. I assume this allows you to do the cheap glasses approach if you choose. This box will allow you to watch 3D television and new 3D bluray disks through the apropriate players or tuners.

Full 1080p single chip DLP projectors start around the US$1000 mark. 720p machines are much cheaper.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-05-2011 08:37 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he was claiming that there was nothing 3D cheaper than that projector. He was specifically talking about what you could do if you were both filthy rich and a complete idiot.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 01:27 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Chris, He certinally does not say its the only option. Knowing that Frank is a self confessed 3D fan, I am keen to hear his opinion (and everbody else's for that matter!) regarding the pro's and con's of this new Optoma product thats in my price range. Just edging this thread in that sort of direction [Smile] .

Personally the expensive LCOS/ D-ILAs and Runco's 3xDLP cinema quality projectors really are sweet, hopefully the prices will continue to drop!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-06-2011 03:02 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
The upgrade box also will output I believe (but please check) 2x 1080p outputs.
I'm using the Optoma solution. The 3D-XL adapter box outputs 3D at 720p/120hz or a single user selectable eye in 2D at 1080p/60hz/24hz. You need two 3D-XL converter boxes to extract separate left and right streams at 1080p.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2011 07:58 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the Mitsubishi HC3800 with excellent results. The HC4000 is the model which replaced it and has gotten favorable reviews.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-21-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1659 days since the last post.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-21-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My new home theater projection solution... [Big Grin]

-

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-21-2015 01:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Did your Pizza Hut video projector break or something?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: