Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Reference level for home theater

Author Topic: Reference level for home theater
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When calibrating a Cinema B chain, we use a reference level of 85 db playing pink noise with the fader set at 7, so theoretically, all movies will be shown at the level the director intended (yeah, right). Anyway, is there any reference level when setting up a home theater? I know the Yamaha and Denon receivers i have worked with have a 0.0 level on the fader. Does this mean anything? I used Yamaha's YPAO calibration program when setting up my home theater. When watching a blue-ray connected through hdmi with the fader set at 0.0, the level doesn't seem as loud as what I experience in my movie theater with the fader set at 7. I measured peaks of around 92 db when playing Cars 2. I'm thinking it was a lot louder than this when I watched it in the theater, but I never measured it.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 01:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, the bad news is this: there are NO standards for home cinema, no matter what any salesman or equipment manufacturer claims.

Here in the US, our TV "standard" is NTSC, also know as Never The Same Color.

DVD's of a 1.85 original film aspect ratio for example, the letterbox size varies a lot.

As for sound, the situation is even worse. I have had levels all over the map.

I use a CP-650 in my home room, I set the "B" chain levels for 80db (83db surrounds, I like them hot) for the magic "7" fader setting. All video media feeds through a Denon receiver into the external 6ch input on the CP-650, and I leave the Denon set at "0.0".

I have had to run anywhere from 4.0 to 9.0 (on the CP-650) on various dvds or satellite sources to get a comfortable level comparable to a cinema.

It is a no-win situation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, your "hot" settings remind me of the idiots with home theaters that come into a real cinema which is properly calibrated and complain because "OMG the surrounds aren't working!!! I can't hear the dialogue out of every speaker!"

[Razz]

Seriously though, running the surrounds hot hurts the overall sound in the room. I'm not speaking purely from a balance standpoint, I'm talking tonal quality/EQ.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL yeah I have heard that same line from customers when I was working in the theatres myself.

As for the home situation, I did it because my speaker placement for surrounds sucks (JBL 8330's placed upside down on the floor in the rear corners) [Eek!] so the extra level helps to get a perceived proper balance to my ears.

I am planning on (finally) getting a real house soon instead of this dinky apartment so I can finally get things set up correctly. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-22-2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Then you'll be particularly peeved that I've been instructed by studio for setting up one of their premiers to set the surround levels 2dB hot...personally, I'm thinking that at the studio level they could just RECORDED IT THAT WAY. [Roll Eyes]

Note, the CP650 IS some 2dB hotter than previous processors at the same fader setting...there was some discrepancy with the level that the Cat 85 put out versus the "standard" and they "fixed" it in the CP650 which, in effect, made the CP650 louder than other previous processors on the same movie at the same fader. It is one of those times that they should have left well enough alone.

-Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 02:40 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ha!! And I thought it was my imagination that the CP-650 was hotter in level than the CP-65 I pulled from UCI (and my room)....now I know I wasn't totally nuts..

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 03:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bugged that the pink noise out of my Onkyo doesn't tell me what level it is at. I know that I've got an old Video Essentials DVD that was 75dB.

But you all are right: it's a shame there is no standard whatsoever for home cinema, even on THX processors. It's a real pain in the ass no doubt.

AJG

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-22-2012 04:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I set my receiver just like I would a cinema processor, EQ and all. But there is no "7" so I had to pick something arbitrary, like -10.0db. It goes up to +2db, I think. Generally, most movies are able to play at the same level though some home mixes have subwoofer channels that are way too hot or are messed up in other ways (like Empire Strikes Back having the center channel waaaay too low).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 05:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you can't do much, the level 0.0dB should be a level where the preamp section of your receiver is "unity gain". Then it depends on the efficiency of your speakers and the amplification stage.
To set proper levels, you could play a -20dB pink noise from your BD source and set main fader and levels to have 85-85-85/82-82/+10dB in your home theatre.
Rule of thumb is actually 75dB, but this is because most people won't listen to 115dB in their home!
If you connected external amplifiers to your receiver, then you should set the fader to 0.0dB and set the amplifiers to the proper gain to reach the correct levels at the listening point.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 08:29 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is 82 db still the reference level for surrounds in the cinema? I know that 82db + 82db = 85db, but it seems that standard was from ages ago when optical analog soundtracks were being used and mono surrounds were the norm. My new digital cinema install was set up this way, and I rarely hear much from the surrounds. They seem at a much lower level than my home setup which I think was properly done.

Steve

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-23-2012 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinema has and will remain 82 + 82 for compatibility reasons. For home it has always been that the surround levels using an internal generator should be at the SAME level as the front speakers. ... "the more you know"...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-23-2012 12:09 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reference level for home theatre -- your ears. You know what it sounds like in your cinema which presumably has been calibrated to standard, after all these years listening to cinema sound, you will pretty much know what sounds right to you...after all, you are the one listening to it. And given as has been said, lots of sources, lots of levels, you might as well use your ears.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr.
Here in the US, our TV "standard" is NTSC, also know as Never The Same Color.
No. NTSC was retired several years ago. The current TV standard is Digital via either a ATSC (broadcast) or QAM (cable/satalite) tuner. Current TV's that support the no longer used NTSC convert the signal internally.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-23-2012 07:45 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, thanks for the correction.

Should ATSC now be "Attempting The Same Color? " [Big Grin]

I still notice bad variations in color, gamma and contrast from one channel to the next, and often within a given channel.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 09:45 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was some new law with severe punishments like naked public flogging when the cable channels violate and abuse audio level "standards." As far as I can tell, commercials are STILL louder than hell.

I hardly ever watch TV in real time. I always record, even if I am there, I will wait 15-20 minutes for a buffer so I can zip thru what capitalism has wrought upon us. But so happens, last night the remote fell between the pillows and I couldn't find it fast enough. I have been mixing sound to know that this damn commercial came on at TWICE the program volume. BASTARDS. And this was 2A-effin-M. I thought we were done with this volume assault BS?

The thing that I can't understand is why do they do it? Do they really believe that it will make people pay more attention to their turd of a commercial? All it does is guarantee that every viewer will MUTE the sound or break a leg in the attempt to do so. If it were at a decent level they would have a much better chance of someone actually letting the thing play. At the levels they blast them, not only will no one HEAR the commercial because it's been MUTED in 2 million homes, but they've now have generated a strong, negative perception of that product for those 2 million who they've REALLY angered. Those pissed off millions may not remember exactly why they have that bad taste in their mouths like they've just swallowed rancid month-old milk everytime they even THINK of that brand, but that bad taste will be there...forever.

Let the public floggings being!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: