Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Are There Any BluRay Players That Output 7.1 analog?

Author Topic: Are There Any BluRay Players That Output 7.1 analog?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-07-2012 07:56 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that they have started to release BluRays with 7.1 sound formats, is the trend in BluRay players' prime output to be digital and expect D/A conversion in an external D/A unit/receiver, or any do BluRay players have the capability of actually outputing 7.1 analog like many older DVDs players used to do output 5.1?

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2012 09:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes the OPPO BDP-83 and BDP-95 have 7.1 analog output:

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to go up to the top models in each manufacturer's product lines, but they are there.

For example, the only current Panasonic model I could find that had 7.1 analog audio outputs was the DMP-BDT500:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMP-BDT500?t=specs

Sticker price is $350 and street price appears to be ~$330.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-08-2012 09:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys; that's makes life easier.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2012 10:23 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And for what it's worth, the OPPO players also take serial commands from a DOLBY server. Well worth the hefty price tag if you play a lot of DVD/Blu Rays, like we do.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-09-2012 11:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad the Oppos don't allow the on-screen display to be disabled. Otherwise, it would be the perfect cinema player.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2012 07:46 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote to Oppo about the on-screen display- it's my one real complaint about their player (I have the BDP-93). Being obsessive I want to see EVERY FRAME of video on a disc with NOTHING overlayed by the player or TV- even if it's "just" the FBI warning or something like that. I did not buy an Oppo DVD player because they had a lot of un-defeatable onscreen displays, the BD player's displays are more tolerable as the longest they stay onscreen is one second. I got a reply from them saying that they wanted their users to know what the player was doing, for example seeing the Pause symbol so that they knew they had hit the Pause button and it wasn't the disc freezing up, but maybe they'll make some more changes if enough other people tell them how they'd like it.

I do like how this player doesn't appear to be made cheaply like most other players are- it might actually last 10 years or more. I've got the plug-in thingy to make it all-region too. My TV (Sharp) is multi-standard, but I checked this player's PAL to NTSC conversion and it's the first time I've seen a player be able to convert video-based material without messing up the frame rate.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: