Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » I think a Dolby Server for BluRay would be cool (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I think a Dolby Server for BluRay would be cool
Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2013 09:32 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never happen, but I can dream.

You could import the movie(s), import trailers, and whatever else in, convert to - I dunno, mpeg-4? Program the show, and not have to worry about constantly playing with cueing things up.

The output would go to a separate HDMI display channel, different than than the control software and annoying streaming status display does, unlike a regular media server like an Apple TV with iTunes, so just the presentation comes out that channel. Heck, it probably wouldn't even need to stream if the data is right there.

Programmable scripts that also output RS-232 commands to the projector, receiver selectors, X10 dimming stuff, whathavu.

Oh, and did I mention that it wouldn't cost the arm and a leg that a full Dolby server does?

Okay, I'm going back to sleep now.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2013 10:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe such a server could encrypt a movie as it's importing it...therefore you would need a KDM to play it the same as a regular movie. I can see the studios approving something like that.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2013 11:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to have it at home. I hate forced ads and slow Java menus.

AJG

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-24-2013 11:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those ads are the reason we don't still pay $80 for a home-video.

Even so, I hate those ads too.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-25-2013 11:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a product called Kaleidescape that sort of does this for DVDs (Google says that they have a Blu-Ray version now).

It rips the disks to its internal hard disk and will play them on demand. Not sure on the playlist (trailers, shorts, etc.) or automation functions, however. The primary selling point seems to be convenience and a slick user interface.

You don't want to see the price. They actually sell for more than the Dolby cinema servers, believe it or not.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-25-2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Jim, you can learn some programming and start a new Open Source project [Wink]

A lot of tools that can do parts this, are already out there, so you don't need to start from scratch.

I've done similar, far less sophisticated stuff myself on several occasions, but it was just some quick hacking around to get the job at hand done, it never made it into something like a product.

Just pick up a fairly decent PC, put in a second video card (that will be your "video out", without any of the menus and stuff interfering), install Ubuntu or Debian Linux on it, put in a good sound card (that will be your audio out, without system sounds interfering) with either a good 7.1 analog out or functional pass-tru of digital audio formats like Dolby Digital, TrueHD, etc. and script some mplayer stuff together with Shell script, Python or other scripting languages.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about this now and again. I think the tricky part from an open-source point of view is working around protection on the discs.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-25-2013 02:31 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ripping part doesn't have to happen on the playback computer, it might even be easier if it doesn't. There are quite a few desktop tools, like Handbrake out there that can take care of the ripping. Just put your files on a file server/NAS or share on your playback computer.

Disclaimer: I don't know if the ripping of Blu-Ray discs is legal in your jurisdiction, but it is (still) perfectly legal in mine. [Wink]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2013 01:46 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are open-source tools to do everything you describe. I get the impression that anyone comfortable with adding equipment to a decently-equipped PC (or building a PC for the purpose) and installing/configuring the necessary software can put together such a system for under $1,000.

I can't speak for the legality of doing so, however.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JRiver Media Center has a DVD library feature. I know the software supports BD playback; not sure if BD can be ripped to your hard drive and played back from a library yet, but I'm sure it's coming if it's not already here.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-26-2013 03:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It exists, and it can even play full DCI compliant J2k DCPs, including automation, etc. BluRays can be ripped from the internal BluRay drive, and then played main-feature only, with playlist, automation, etc.

Too bad, it never received DCI compliance (no secure media block hardware), so they stopped selling them last week, giving up to the DCI rollout.

They have been sold at decent quantities during the last 6 years or so for preshow and DCI arthouse content (either with KDMs by special permission, or unencrypted). No HD-SDI, only HDMI/DVI output.

Price was around 10.000US$, so not much cheaper than a Dolby server.
They are now sold second hand at around 2500US$.

They may start to sell the software part separately.

http://www.cinesuite.de/

In general I think most features are available in certain media players. What's missing is the automation feature.

- Carsten

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2013 02:04 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, just for laughs, I've been experimenting with some technologies out there just to get media into manageable formats to edit together, and have found that just that alone has a *long* way to go. There's a great program out there call Handbrake that can do some pretty incredible file format conversions, but just try to use anything to merge files together without (for example) losing surround channels, (despite what they claim) and I hope that you packed a big lunch.

Cinesuite. That sounds interesting. Went to their web site. Knew I should have taken German in school...

Henry O'Connell
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2013 09:43 PM      Profile for Henry O'Connell   Email Henry O'Connell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Emerging Cinemas for our indie content. They now use this piece of crap program called Lighthouse (can't do anything with, runs old version of VLC engine). When we started they used DigitAll. web page This software did/does what you are looking for. No idea of cost and such.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2013 03:43 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now the Digit-All looks very interesting. It's software at $250US to run on a pretty standard, but beefy PC running Win7. (not 8) SATA drives that have to have at least a reliable throughput of 250Mbits/sec, not difficult nowadays - I figure a 2T 7200rpm drive, a good modern nVidia graphics card that can drive more than one output, (HDMI included, of course) 4G of memory recommended, network drive OK, but it still has to have that same reliable throughput, or forget it. 1G Ethernet bare minimum. Looks like good buffering, good interface, takes a lot of different file types. Their site even has a number of demo videos, an evaluation version to be downloaded, and more.

Looks good with just one problem. I sent them an email on Sunday night with some questions for additional details on some stuff, and so far, nuthin. No response at all. Hmmmmm. So customer service sucks a brick. Could be very important. Could even be a deal breaker. Then again, it's a tempting package, and I wouldn't exactly be a major (or even at all) commercial account. Will see what the next few days bring.

Henry O'Connell
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Henry O'Connell   Email Henry O'Connell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James Gardiner who is associated with DigitAll is/was a member here.
Any issues I had were from Emerging and only an occasional loss of time counter (freeze up, not give run time) from the software.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: