Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » KISS ME KATE 3-D Release

Author Topic: KISS ME KATE 3-D Release
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
We were not involved with the upcoming March 3 release on 3-D Blu-ray but in case the 2-D myth is repeated, here's the true story on the VERY wide 3-D release in 1953/54.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/kiss-me-kate-3-d-release

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2015 03:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The were other theatres playing dual projection 3D movies in Honolulu in the fifties but only the Liberty was the first run 3D house and they never played KISS ME KATE in the format. I think it played it's first run engagement at one of the thestres in Waikiki in 2D. Because KISS ME KATE never played here in 3D, I will finally have the opportunity to see it that way on blu ray next week. There is one KISS ME KATE blu ray review out already and the 3D as well as the color was highly rated.

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2015 05:59 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Claude. Please share your observations once you've seen it. I feel it's one of the very best, probably in the top five. George Sidney really knew how to compose for 3-D and widescreen.

Check out the home page of our website for another exciting 3-D restoration coming to Blu-ray, just announced today!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have read and heard that KISS ME KATE was among the best 3D film released in the fifties during the golden age, Robert.

Now that Warner Brothers has released HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL FOR MURDER and KISS ME KATE next week, I wonder if they will release anymore ? I cannot think of any more 3D films released by Warner Brothers studios and the only one other 3D film from MGM I know of is ARENA. beside KMK. Warner Home video also own the RKO and Allied Artist film library and I know there are several good 3D from them it would be nice if Warners would consider releasing more golden age 3D but I doubt they will due to the high cost of restoration . The next best thing they could do is to license some of the RKO and Allied Artist 3D films to your company, 3D Film archieve , Robert.

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2015 08:09 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
WB still has the following 3-D gems in their vaults. 12 features and 5 shorts/cartoons.

The Charge at Feather River - WB
The Moonlighter - WB
Phantom of the Rue Morgue - WB
The Bounty Hunter - WB
The Command - WB
Second Chance - RKO
Devil's Canyon - RKO
Louisiana Territory - RKO
The French Line - RKO
Son of Sinbad - RKO
Dangerous Mission - RKO
Arena - MGM
Lumber Jack-Rabbit - Bugs Bunny
Popeye, the Ace of Space
Audioscopiks - Pete Smith
New Audiscopiks - Pete Smith
Third-Dimensional Murder - Pete Smith

At their rate of one feature every two years, I'm taking lots of vitamins!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2015 08:49 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I am wrong but I doubt WB will be releasing anymore 3D movies from the golden age, Robert. If 3D was stiil in demand like it was when AVATAR was theatrically released but with only a smal 3D market now, no studio seem to be interested in their golden age films released on blu ray. Despite the fact that a fully restored HONDO in 3D existed, the john Wayne estate chose to release the film in 2D only on blu ray a few years ago and that was shame. I understand MISS SADIE THOMPSON in 3D has also been restored but Columbia does not seem interested in doing anything with it and that too is a shame.

By the way, I ordered the MGM Four Musical Collection which includes KISS ME KATE from Amazon but it has not shipped yet but I do expect it will by Monday. If it goes out on thst day, I should receive the discs by next Friday at the latest. I will post my comments about KMK as soon as I watch it next weekend.

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2015 04:10 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if all goes to plan with my Amazon Prime membership - I should have the disc by Tuesday, and watched that night - can't wait!!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I believe THE MAZE (1953) was released by Allied Artist but I do not see it on your list of 3D films controlled by WB. I guess the rights must by held
by the estate of the film's producer and not the distributer.

I remember seeing it in 3D during it's original run and it was fantastic.

- Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2015 06:03 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
THE MAZE is now owned by Paramount.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-28-2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE MAZE, another 3D film controlled by Paramount. what a pity [Frown]

With films like THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE, JIVARO, SANGAREE and many others including a Martin & Lewis film, it seem Paramount has control of a large amount of quality 3D movies from the golden age that will never be restored and released on blu ray and that is a shame.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-01-2015 03:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is a address to a KISS ME KATE review site

Kiss Me Kate 3-D Review @Doblu.com

-Claude

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2015 08:51 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Kiss Me Kate bluray last night, projected up onto a 9' wide screen, and wow, what a great transfer. Hopefully, this will sell well enough that WB will do more.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2015 09:23 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ I was equally impressed - WB knocked this out of the ballpark with a stunning transfer.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-26-2015 07:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I had the four musical musical collection since it was released in early March, I only watched KISS ME KATE IN 3D last night but this time on a forty six inch screen. Like all 3D films of the fifties, it was superb! I knew I was in for a treat when Leo, the MGM lion stuck his head out from the screen and roared and the KISS ME KATE title card looked like it was between the TV and me. I have not seen any modern 3D film look like this and that is a shame because the way 3D was used in the fifties is the way to go. The closest mordern 3D film I had seen that was almost as good as fifties 3D was HUGO and some IMAX documentaries.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: