Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Phlips FP6 Cosmetic Renovation

Author Topic: Phlips FP6 Cosmetic Renovation
Remint Malta
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2017 01:07 AM      Profile for Remint Malta   Email Remint Malta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

We are interested in renovating two Philips FP6 35mm projectors to be eventually put on display in the foyer of a modern cinema.

Does anyone have any solid information on when these machines were built? I can't seem to find any information online. I managed to find a manual in German which still needs to be translated. Does anybody have any other literature (possibly in English) for these machines. From some preliminary research I did, they are fairly similar to the FP5.

Do you have any other information which might be helpful? We are experienced renovators with background in electronics and film/digital photography equipment but we're newbies in the cinema field.

Here is a picture of one of the projectors:

-

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-29-2017 10:52 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's going to be quite a renovation project, even if you aren't aiming for operational condition.

I can't give you an exact production date, but would guess late '40s to late '50s. Your example has nitrate mags on it, which would suggest that it was originally made and sold when at least some nitrate was still in use.

If you could find the time to scan the German manual and upload it to Brad for the warehouse section, we'd all be grateful. There are native German speakers on this forum, not to mention many others (like me) who know enough German to make having this manual a lot better than nothing if we ever find ourselves having to work on one of these projectors.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2017 07:04 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would estimate the year of manufacture in the mid to late 1920s. as the projector has the klangfilm sound attachment. the pedistal is almost identical to a pair of ernemann II silent machines i have that came from norway is your pair a left and right threading or are they both right hand thread ? the pair of ernemanns i have are left and right hand threading and are hand crank with zeiss carbon arc lamps

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-30-2017 12:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Introduced around 1937," according to this - almost exactly mid-way between our two guesses!

The mechanism could well have been put on a pedestal and lamphouse dating from earlier, though.

I'd be surprised if the projector mechanism was essentially evolutionary from earlier designs, as Jan-Jakob Kotte tended to go for revolution over evolution, introducing fundamentally new design elements.

The exciter bulb latch-on cover looks like the same (or at least, very similar) to the one that came on the originally equipped DP-70 optical head. Not many survive on the DP-70s in use today, because most have had the original heads replaced with LED, stereo and/or Dolby digital retrofits.

Remint Malta
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2017 04:19 AM      Profile for Remint Malta   Email Remint Malta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies. I already have a scanned copy of the manual. How do I upload it to Brad?

The one i have looks very much like the FP56 in the manual I have including the pedestal. 1940s is a likely time this particular projector was produced.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2017 11:10 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I would agree with the date - pre scope (as the aperture was built into the scate and like the most European machines impossible to change on the trot) so it would be pre 1955 or so. Whilst the sound head is bolted on, the mech does seem to have fixings for alternative sound heads so I would say post 1930. 1937 sounds perfect. Was it these or the later ones which had adjustable loops ?
The end cap which Leo refers to was standard on all Philips and Kinotons, despite a cosmetic change from Philips to Kinoton. They get reinstalled with lasers but yes, need to go for a full reverse scan. Love the picture, good luck with the rebuild

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: