Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX GT projector questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: IMAX GT projector questions
Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you thread the lower rotor? Are the lower and upper rotors separate? How are the field flatter(s) arranged. One lamp or two? Anyone have good pics of a IMAX GT projector (up close to the front of the projector with the hood open)?

Any other interesting info...

|  IP: Logged

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 04:06 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have a look here :

http://www.film-tech.com/pics/imet/imet.html

imax gt

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
c'mon, rip those covers off. We want pictures.

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Providing detailed front end pictures or threading instructions is not allowed. As for a couple of your questions... There is one large rotor on the 3D GT with separate segments for left (lower section of the rotor) and right eye (upper section of the rotor), and film rails separate these sections. The 3D GT uses two 15 kW water and air-cooled xenon lamps. The water flows through the anode and cathode of the lamps.

The film rests on registration pins on both sides of the field flattener and the film is held in place against the field lens by a vacuum while the image is projected. The field lens has two separate glass surfaces, each slightly more than twice the width of 15/70 film. This is so that when the field lens is cycled (moved up/down), the film rests against a clean surface. There are four wiper bars in a 3D setup which help to keep the field lens clean.

[ 04-24-2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Robert Stawiarski ]

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 02:54 PM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that there would be a lot of stuff in the way when you thread the lower rotor. Do you have to remove the field flattener(s)?

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The field flattener has to be in when threading, but is cleaned between shows. It is somewhat cramped when threading left-eye, but like with anything else, it isn't too bad once you get used to it. The operator just has to be careful to not let his hands or fingers touch the field lens when threading because the oil can be visible on screen.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-24-2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During threading the whole aperture block, into which the field-flattener slides, is pulled back. A perfectly cleaned field flattener is put in place, and the block is closed (at that particular stage in threading). Separators also pull back so that film can slide down to lower deck on input and output sides, and then they're closed for upper deck threading. As stated, both decks utilize the same rotor, with slightly offset rail segments from one deck to the next.

On GT's with a shutter installed, there's less working room. Ours has no shutters, so there seems to be plenty of space to work the film in ... of course, it's all skill, baby! [Razz]

Ben Stephenson
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 10:58 AM      Profile for Ben Stephenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GT projector must save time, You only have one projector to lace. I understand there's the same amount of film but you lace both eye's at the some time (well one just after the other).

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2004 02:43 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are running 2D/3D or 2D/2D back to back then SR projectors give you the advantage of lacing one projector while the other is running. E.G if we are running a 2D show on the right projector then we can lace the left eye of the following 3D show on the other projector.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-08-2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better than 2 SR projectors are two 15K classics [Big Grin]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2004 09:21 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Gord I can't say I wasn't envious when I was in Quebec.
2 classics,2 Mk1 reel units and a QTRU! Buggerbitch!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-08-2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But look at it this way they don't have cinerama and a dp70 so you make up for it

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-12-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Providing detailed front end pictures or threading instructions is not allowed"

Bwahahahahahahahahah!!!!!! Thats hilarious! Not allowed... how could they stop anyone? Anyone can read the many patents which describe in detail and dimensions how it works and is built and anyone can visit the patent office and look in detail at the working model.

I have so very many detailed shots of Imax equipemt that I couldn't even count em all.....

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2004 11:22 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I was installing a sound system at the ScottishPower Space Theatre in Glasgow Scotland and asked if I could tour the Imax booth there. The director of the place took me to the booth and showed me around, but told the projectionist after the show NOT to open the projector. I wasn't allowed to see how it was threaded or operated, because I am the competition! He was serious, because he said the patent was either expired, or almost expired, and he thought we would copy it.

Rick

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, just passing along the information that was passed along to me. Notice that none of the IMAX booth tour photos, both here and Cinematour, have close front-end pictures like the 35mm booth tours. Do you think that is by coincidence? The manual is confidential, and would never be allowed posted like the manuals are for other equipment on this site. From what I have heard, some projection managers and techs have to sign NDAs, which is not exactly commonplace in the 35mm world. Sure, you might be able to go down to the patent office like you say, but nevertheless, rules are rules.

As Adam Martin has noticed previously, some of your posts about IMAX have a bit of negative tone to them. There is a reason why IMAX does the things that they do. I think Stewart best sums it up in his posts about his CDC system (a theatre you service?):

"I could go over all the problems that we have had with our system as a result of going with a cheaper brand..." or "They are a bit cheaper then IMAX, but you get what you pay for in my opinion."

I'm not laughing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: