Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Michael Bay to shoot select scenes of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with IMAX(R

Author Topic: Michael Bay to shoot select scenes of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with IMAX(R
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 07:14 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From IMAX Press Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Bay to shoot select scenes of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with IMAX(R) cameras
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - IMAX Corporation (NASDAQ: IMAX; TSX: IMX), DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures today announced that director Michael Bay will shoot key sequences of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with IMAX(R) cameras. Bay will integrate the IMAX footage with state of the art CGI to create an unprecedented look and feel for the highly anticipated sequel to last year's box office hit, Transformers. As previously announced, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen will be released to IMAX(R) theatres simultaneously with the movie's wide release on June 26, 2009.

The movie sequences shot in traditional 35mm will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience(R) with IMAX DMR(R) (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The IMAX DMR scenes will appear in the traditional "letterbox" shape, while scenes shot with IMAX's cameras will expand vertically to fill the entire IMAX screen.

"The extraordinary level of detail and intensity captured by the IMAX camera creates many exciting possibilities for us with this film," said Michael Bay, the film's director. "IMAX's all-encompassing format will take this story to a new level, and I am once again very excited to share The IMAX Experience with Transformers fans around the world."

"The addition of another amazing title from DreamWorks and Paramount, combined with more groundbreaking use of IMAX technology by Hollywood's top filmmakers, are examples of how far we have come as a company and a distribution platform over the past several years," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "The growth of the IMAX theatre network, fueled by the economical benefits of the new IMAX digital system, is driving interest from virtually all of the top studios, which is resulting in more IMAX movies for audiences to enjoy."

"Michael Bay's innovative use of IMAX cameras will create a spectacular cinematic adventure for moviegoers next summer," added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "We're very excited to be integrated as a core part of the Transformers production, and with the skilled marketing and distribution teams at DreamWorks and Paramount, the timing is ideal given our expanding global audience and network footprint."

The IMAX release of this movie was previously mentioned in IMAX Corporation's second quarter results press release on August 7.

DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures Present In Association with Hasbro A di Bonaventura Pictures Production A Tom DeSanto/Don Murphy Production A Michael Bay Film "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" starring Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, Kevin Dunn, Julie White, John Benjamin Hickey, Ramon Rodriguez, Isabel Lucas and John Turturro. The film is directed by Michael Bay from a screenplay by Ehren Kruger & Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman. The producers are Don Murphy & Tom DeSanto, Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Ian Bryce. The executive producers are Steven Spielberg, Michael Bay, Brian Goldner and Mark Vahradian. Based on Hasbro's Transformers(TM) Action Figures. This film has not yet been rated.

About IMAX Corporation

IMAX Corporation is one of the world's leading entertainment technology companies, specializing in immersive motion picture technologies. The worldwide IMAX network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event Hollywood films around the globe, with IMAX theatres delivering the world's best movie presentations using proprietary IMAX, IMAX(R) 3D, and IMAX DMR technology. IMAX DMR is the Company's groundbreaking digital re-mastering technology that allows it to digitally transform virtually any conventional motion picture into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience. IMAX's renowned projectors display crystal-clear images on the world's biggest screens, and the IMAX brand is recognized throughout the world for extraordinary and immersive entertainment experiences for consumers. As of June 30, 2008, there were 302 IMAX theatres operating in 40 countries.

IMAX(R), IMAX(R) 3D, IMAX DMR-, IMAX- MPX-, and The IMAX Experience(R) are trademarks of IMAX Corporation. More information on the Company can be found at www.imax.com.
End of press release

And of course the dramatic impact of the scenes shot using the IMAX cameras will be completely lost to anyone viewing this film in an IMAX [dlp] digital cinema or MPX auditorium!! [thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-30-2008 07:31 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully the IMAX camera will be too heavy to shake.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-30-2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

And of course the dramatic impact of the scenes shot using the IMAX cameras will be completely lost to anyone viewing this film in an IMAX [dlp] digital cinema or MPX auditorium!! [thumbsdown]

Have you guys actually watched a movie an an MPX auditorium?

Granted the screen isn't as tall as a standard IMAX screen, It's still slightly taller than a standard FLAT aspect ratio and much taller than a SCOPE aspect ratio. Scenes in Dark Knight and the upcoming Transformers 2 do take up more of the screen than the footage DMRd up from 35mm. Additionally, they benefit from increased clarity and resolution, which is almost never seen in an MPX house since they typically only show DMR films.

quote: Mark J. Marshall
Hopefully the IMAX camera will be too heavy to shake.
He'll probably just add the shake in post. You know, for dramatic effect. [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-30-2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is MPX, some kind of wimpy "IMAX Jr" or something?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MPX is the projection system designed for a standard multiplex. Screens are in the 30' x 50' range. They fit into a standard booth area. 3-D capability is standard on these units. I've heard that they are even auto-threading.

AND, I DO call it the Imax, Jr.

Good Picture of MPX Projector (Site in Spanish)

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-30-2008 05:51 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<---MPX projector behind me

Auto-Threading is really missleading. In fact, It takes longer to thread an MPX. The platter and the film matrices still need to be threaded by hand. The only automatic part is the threading of the rotor. I've watched IMAX projectionists thread GT and SR systems, and they seem to get the rotor threaded pretty quickly. The MPX requires 4 console button pushes and about 2-3 minutes to "thread itself".

Turning around a 3D show on an MPX is about a 20 minute ordeal to do properly.

Also, In terms of space, fitting a full MPX system with 2 QTRU platter systems takes up quite a lot of room, and is considerably bigger than the footprint of a standard 35mm system.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 02:03 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
The movie sequences shot in traditional 35mm will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience
Uh Huh.

Can I digitally re-master my bank account to make myself a millionaire? Hey, while I'm at it I will re-master my Honda Accord into a Maserati.

quote: Dick Vaughan
IMAX(R), IMAX(R) 3D, IMAX DMR-, IMAX- MPX-, and The IMAX Experience(R) are trademarks of IMAX Corporation.
THX-Dolby-SPL WOW SRS surround experience (r) are trademarks of Andy Summer's delusions.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2008 10:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that the MPX uses a Cermax modular lamp. I'm sure it all works ok but man are those things expensive, a 2kw Cermax can cost upwards of 3K dollars!! A number of smaller DLP's also use them$$$. Hopefully the front opens up to thread the lower rotor...

They are obviously stealing images from this site... The large lamphouse shown are my photos I took during the install at the Dino Museum and are only available on this site.

Mark

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-01-2008 11:28 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MPX is a breeze to change bulbs on. There are 4 of those modules, 2 for each eye.

The front does open for maintenance and access to the aperture block, but not for threading. To thread, film is inserted into the input side, automatically winds its way through the rotor, then pops out on the output side.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: