Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Anyone familiar with the cost of single theater 3D Upgrade? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with the cost of single theater 3D Upgrade?
Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 11:50 AM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I was wondering if there was anyone out there experienced with this kind of install who could throw out some rough ballpark estimates.

The conversion would be from the ground up as the current projection is not digital. The House has 275 seats and I would consider estimates for both 3D formats. From what I have read in the past there is both one that uses a silver screen and the cheaper type of 3D glasses as opposed to the regular screen which makes use of more expensive glasses.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I was asked this question without a great deal of notice.

Thanks again,
Benny [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 02:05 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bid a job with a 10 x 24 silver screen and all the server and projector hardware at around $125,000.

A really small screen would be maybe $10,000 less.

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 02:44 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam! [Smile]

The screen in question is quite large. It is 21' 9" x 55' and the throw is 54'. The seating is all-stadium. It is THX certified and runs a DD CP650 sound processor.

This quote would be for the Real D version... Anyone familiar with the Dolby version?

I have read anywhere from 25k in entertainment magazine to 75k in sound and vision magazine to go from digital to 3D...
However, this is not currently a digital operation...

[Confused]

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2009 03:58 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might I recommend looking into the master image solution.
We have one here in the lab and it seems to be the best bang for buck solution there is currently. As far as the exhibitor pricing go's I wouldn't know. It has the advantage of being portable too, so if you get another digital screen you can move it back and forth depending on your needs.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 04:40 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen size you have would certainly need a larger projector than my quote would cover.

It uses a Dolby server and a Master Image system, which, as an outright purchase, is more expensive than a Dolby 3D system, but does not have the perceived disadvantage of the Dolby 3D glasses.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
but does not have the perceived disadvantage of the Dolby 3D glasses.

It also leaves you with alot more than just 10% of the light!! I've done 2 of them now and can highly reccomend them. We ended up with 7.4 fl at one site with just a 4.5kw lamp in an old DP-100... You may want to put the 3-D unit on a really short track system though... If you have very much downtilt there is not enough range to lower the unit down to clear the projection lens. Then you have to screw with the adjustable pads that lower down from the unit to be able to move it and or lock it back in place. Leaving the height set and being able to roll it out and then back in place exactly would be a very good thing.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-30-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear Fox is now going to cease providing 3D glasses with their features...like ICE AGE...another expense for the polarized groups. Even on the cheap side of things, it will cost nearly 6-times to provide cheap polarized glasses as compared to the Dolby reusable glasses.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm... I don't see either Dolby or Polarizing costing the theaters a cent... As long as they are allowed a percentage of the premium charged for 3-D.

In the past it's been the distributers intent that if he can provide 3-D glasses then the distributer doesn't make an allowance however if the distributer can't provide them then they do make an allowance.

Now with our Dolby customers they've received literally hundreds of cases of Real-D glasses and distribution doesn't want them back because technically they are supplying 3-D glasses and won't make an allowance. In the film booking contract it doesn't stipulate that they have to provide YOUR type of glasses... just glasses.

I don't know what Real-D glasses cost but I'm sure they do but typically other circular polarized glasses cost no more then .75 each... and in small uantities. Isn't even a factor really...

The darkside of Dolby 3-D is it's light gobbling problem meaning the cost per hour for the light source you need and the cost of a replacement filter wheel... both aspects being extremely hideous.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-30-2009 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What one of my customers was told was that their their cut was not changing...only that they would need to source the glasses themselves.

Their plan...fine...they'll sell 3D glasses for those that don't bring theirs back...you still pay the upcharge for 3D but the glasses will be treated like a concession item...buy em if you want em. Thus, the studios can't take a cut from the sale. The customer loses out because it will not be between $2-$3 for 3D rather than the obnoxious but necessary $2 upcharge. You add up the extra cost for a typical family...it gets an expensive event even more expensive.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll also find many theaters beginnign to recycle those "stock" glasses as well. They will find ways around any misgivings by the studios...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2009 10:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised there aren't "designer" 3-D glasses being sold at theatre concession stands yet. Some Chinese company has got to be working on that. $9.99 would be a good price point.

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2009 04:54 AM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments guys. Anyone got any more info on a reasonable quote?

[Confused]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-31-2009 10:15 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My quote was pretty low markup, but has the Master Image outright purchase adds a lot of cost.

A projector big enough to light a screen the size you mention is something over $50,000 with no server, 3D or installation.

We don't usually quote prices on this forum, and in this case only to give a magnitude.

Obviously, you need a real quote with the dealer coming out and doing a site survey, etc..

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-31-2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding Designer style glasses, if 3-D is here to stay, I think it would be wonderful if dual purpose prescription 3-D/Sun Glasses would be available for those of us who wear glasses. I was not wearing them in the fifties so it was not a problem viewing 3-D films but having to wear them now over my glasses is a 'Royal Pain and is the only thing I do not like about 3-D.

-Claude

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2009 05:48 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, I'm not looking for an actual quote just trying to get some ballpark figures from people familiar with these kind of installs. More of a hypothetical circumstance for business discussions...

Thanks again.
[Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: