Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How long should a RAID rebuild take?

Author Topic: How long should a RAID rebuild take?
Nate Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Nate Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Nate Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed a new harddrive in our Dolby Digital Cinema system this afternoon and I wanted to know if anyone knew how long a rebuild should take?

It seems to be chugging along just fine, but seems to be taking a lot longer than it should.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-11-2010 05:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could take many hours. Partly depends on the size of the array and the rebuild priority rate set in the RAID controller config.

(Disclaimer: I've never been near one of these servers but from what I've read here they use fairly standard RAID controllers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Alastair Comrie
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 07:18 PM      Profile for Alastair Comrie   Email Alastair Comrie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rebuild on our DSS100 server takes approx 2 hours. I have only done it twice since we have had it so I guess it could differ.

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think as soon as you start to play content the RAID will stop rebuilding. It can take up to 12+ hours if the hard drive is full. I always delete any extra content and start the build after the last show of the day and let it rebuild overnight.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-11-2010 09:25 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long? Just long enough for you to throw that D-Crapema in the dumpster and get a film system . [Big Grin]

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 12:25 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With us it's so far taken anything from 2 hours to "nobody knows how long because they went home", After all, the manual suggests it be done overnight or early in the morning, it may take up to 10 hours, theoretically.

I'm curious as to what would happen if you start to play content while the rebuild is in process but I'm not about to try [Big Grin] not unless I have every copy handy for reloading and a whole day to do it.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-12-2010 06:33 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of variables: Size of drive, speed of drive, speed of controller, how busy the controller is doing other stuff, etc. I've seen it take < half an hour, and I've seen it take lots and lots of hours.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2010 08:11 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Mark said.

Depends on the array.

In our SONY machines with a RAID 6 it depends on whether it's a data drive or a checksum drive, the checksum drives rebuild much faster.

Typically on these, with the hardware raid, it can take up to 8 hours if content is playing about but the advice all around is to rebuild after the last show of the night so as not to risk buffering problems while playing out. The same advice applies to any other system.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2010 09:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are rebuilding a RAID on the Dolby and go into play mode(assuming you are able to) the RAID rebuild stops and then it resumes when you stop playing.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2010 04:12 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What one of our technicians suggested:
Remove everything from your server.
Rebuild the raid and reload the content.

The rebuild goes a lot faster on a empty server.
After that you load 1 film and during the first screening you load the rest.
This was what he told me the fasted way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: