Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » diploma for movie operator

Author Topic: diploma for movie operator
Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2010 04:11 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

in france there is a diploma to be a 'real' movie operator. Without that piece of paper (CAP) you are not allowed to work alone in a projection room.

This year, in the practical exam, there is a big part on digital cinema. Problem is that most student did not touch any digital equipment before coming to the test (and don't know what is HDSDI, cinelink, DVI, ...).

Is France the only country where such a test is in place? Or are there other countries where it is also like that? And what is the level of the exam over there?

For what I saw during the tests, most of them are able to do an ingest of some sort, create a small playlist and run the show. The part on the dolby server s for the most of them not that complicated. The part DMA8, CP500, projector is for the most of them more complicated.

So I was curious if it was only in France they did this tests (written an practical).

Kind regards,
Kris

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2010 03:44 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the United States there is no national test to be a motion picture operator. Some states require it like The Commonwealth of Massachusette but it is pretty much a joke. Just some very outdated true or false questions. For example

It is ok to smoke in the projection booth if the manager allows it. (FALSE)

All machines must be bolted to the floor. (TRUE)

A Permit from the department of public safety is required to exhibit nitrate film (TRUE)

just stuff like that.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> All machines must be bolted to the floor. (TRUE)

In almost 40 years of running 35mm at many different locations across 4 states, I have never seen a projector "bolted" to the floor.

I'm not saying that it was never done, but what most people think are bolts are actually large leveling bolts.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2010 07:01 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it is funny it is technically "the law" in Mass but I have never seen a booth there that had "machines" bolted to the floor.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-06-2010 08:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few before I started doing it. But in truth, it depends on the system...for Kinotons, I recommend bolting to the floor. Even pedestal systems I recommend bolting.

If you don't the machine will settle and shift a bit..particularly when you have reel-to-reel...some folks are heavy handed and over time, the machine will shift.

Steve

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-06-2010 08:48 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kris.

The BKSTS in Britain run courses with accreditation similar to what you mention in your post and details should still be able to be found here -> BKSTS Course Accreditation

Here in Australia, and in Melbourne in particular, the Cinematograph Operators Board ran accredited courses until the early 1980's after which it was discontinued in favour of on-the-job training.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Ian

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 07:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to thread up really bad Hollywood films on a V4 and it tried to run away so I had to bolt it to the floor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: