Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ebert on 3D Animation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ebert on 3D Animation
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 09:52 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He still doesn't like it:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/the_best_animated_films_of_201.html
quote:
The Elephant in the Room. This is 3D, of course. It is the misfortune of contemporary animation that it must mostly be viewed as if through the fog of a peat fire. It is too dim, I tell you, TOO DIM! Do I make myself clear? And more expensive -- and not worth the extra money. Blast and damn, thundernation, tonnerre le brest, rumble, grumble...

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 12:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the feeling he's never seen a 3-D movie on a decent system.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 01:30 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's certainly never been to a 3D IMAX presentation.

He's right about the extra money though, but arguing with a merchant that he should lower his price on goods that people seem perfectly willing to pay is like believing in Santa Clause.

And not for nuthin, bet he's really starting to sound like he's got one foot in grumpy old-fartdom.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 02:35 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert used to praise The Polar Express in Imax 3D! He is simply wishing 3D as a standard for almost everything would go away.
I have come to hate silver and high gain screens when watching 2D ,I blame the 3D craze for this! [Mad]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-03-2011 04:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it is even possible to make a computer animated cartoon that isn't in 3D any more. Also, I wonder if it is even possible to release fewer than 100 3D animated cartoons per year.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-08-2011 12:42 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have come to hate silver and high gain screens when watching 2D ,I blame the 3D craze for this!

I think we can forget about calling it a craze. It's here for the long term. Everyone's making money on it, including the digital projector manufacturers. Once it invades the home by way of 3DTV and now the scrambling to get it into ipads and pods and cellphones, without glasses no less, it becomes a snowball that will be hard to stop as each market drives the next. After all the investment in 3D hardware, do you think there wouldn't be hell to pay if all of a sudden Hollywood stopped churning out 3D content?

As for silver screens - yes, unfortunately they are necessary for 3D and even more unfortunate is that 2D has to suffer because of them. But it won't be the first time the industry sacrificed presentation quality in favor of the almighty buck. Are we not used to this?

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
As for silver screens - yes, unfortunately they are necessary for 3D
Sorry I don't share your opinion.
Remeber dolby 3D!

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 01:46 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Dolby and Xpand dont need a silver screen, around here the only 3D system in use is RealD unfortunately. I also agree that silver screens suck, especially cheep ones that are splotchy...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-08-2011 04:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank...Note Panavision's 3D is also a non-Silver screen based system, similar to Dolby's (Infitec).

It is definitely still a craze and one that is dwindling. The pay off for investing in 3D is constantly decreasing.

-Steve

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2011 02:41 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D as a marketing gimmick is pathetic, and not true to the art form. If someone is making a 3D feature that seriously wants to put effort into it and do it in an artistic way, then that is fine. However, if they truly intend on wanting it to be 3D, release it only in 3D, that way we know for sure that is what they want.

This dual release crap, multiple aspect ratios, etc. tells me that studios and filmmakers alike are just cashing in on a gimmick.

AJG

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2011 08:22 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, the dual releasing of the same movie in 3D and 2D is not a betrayal of "the art form," but a case of allowing people a choice. You clearly are no fan of 3D; would you rather wait for the DVD/BD release to watch a movie in your preferred 2D?

In the 1950s, for cinemas not equipped for 3D, those movies were shown in 2D by projecting only the left or right prints. B&W prints of color films were made for television before tv became chromatic. There were silent versions of early talkies--again, for cinemas not equipped for the new technology.

Cinema history is littered with examples of "serving two masters" in order to get the most ticket sales. 3D is no different.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-09-2011 09:45 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
He's certainly never been to a 3D IMAX presentation.
IMAX is irrelevant, there are so few theatres that it's almost not worth mentioning.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2011 11:58 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Hillary Charles
Aaron, the dual releasing of the same movie in 3D and 2D is not a betrayal of "the art form," but a case of allowing people a choice. You clearly are no fan of 3D; would you rather wait for the DVD/BD release to watch a movie in your preferred 2D?
My point is that if the artist truly believes in their work and wants it seen a specific way, why are they giving people a choice? When James Cameron releases Avatar in 2D, 3D, 1.85, 2.39 I think he loses credibility as an artist because we the audience do not know what his original intent is, or how does he want us to see this piece.

I look back to Hitchcock and Psycho: not only was it released in one aspect ratio, black and white but for awhile, he went as far to make sure anyone who was late could not get in. Some may call that last part a publicity stunt, but I always felt that it was merely an artist attempting to ensure his audience saw his work exactly the way he intended.

Even George Lucas tried to make inroads here when Lucasfilm developed THX. Obviously he was not pleased that his films, which he spent so much time making, were shown in mono or piss poor stereo.

This is another reason I think digital cinema is a great thing: it is going to bring a more solid standard to cinema projection that has been lacking for many years. I know when I see a film locally, it isn't guaranteed that I'm going to get an intact print, or even digital sound (several houses are still using optical sound, and not even SR), and thus ruining the intent of the artist. Sure, poor management and terrible booth monkeys are more to blame, so I am not saying film isn't capable of having standards, it is just that digital cinema helps minimize, if not eliminate some of those issues of things like whether or not we'll get digital sound or missing frames, or emulsion scratches. It's pretty damn sad when I can view a film at home with better sound than several local cinemas, and thus realizing the director's intent moreso. I hate having to say that because I love going to a cinema, and seeing this art on the biggest screen possible with the best sound possible.

As you say, the industry does have a long history of serving two masters, but who says that is the right way to do things.

AJG

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2011 12:09 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
My point is that if the artist truly believes in their work and wants it seen a specific way, why are they giving people a choice? When James Cameron releases Avatar in 2D, 3D, 1.85, 2.39 I think he loses credibility as an artist because we the audience do not know what his original intent is, or how does he want us to see this piece.
Unlike painting on canvas, the "art" of cinema requires massive amounts of money (as with Camerone's budgets), and it is in the investors' best interests to maximize the returns on their investments. It is a business, after all. Watch IFC for "art."

quote: Aaron Garman
I look back to Hitchcock and Psycho: not only was it released in one aspect ratio, black and white but for awhile, he went as far to make sure anyone who was late could not get in. Some may call that last part a publicity stunt, but I always felt that it was merely an artist attempting to ensure his audience saw his work exactly the way he intended.
Or, just maybe it was a marketing gimmick (as you say) he co-opted from William Castle.

The right way to do things is the way that helps ensure we can keep on doing those things.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-09-2011 12:22 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
James Cameron releases Avatar in 2D, 3D, 1.85, 2.39 I think he loses credibility as an artist because we the audience do not know what his original intent is,
James Cameron's intent was to appeal to as my persons as possible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: