Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Fake titles on DCI trailers...aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Fake titles on DCI trailers...aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 04:40 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again.

Just received 2 new trailers...one for THOR and one for TRANSFORMERS 3 and they both have fake names as their file name.

THOR is NORTHMAN and TRANSFORMERS 3 is CRASH TEST.

This is pretty stupid. These trailers are both already on line on YouTube etc. What is there for them to gain from this?

As it's not possible to rename the files in the Dolby Server, now I have to make a note of what fake name goes with what real movie in the trailer files???

Sheeeeesh!

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should start replying and saying that "You never sent me that trailer." People complain about too many trailers anyway. [Wink]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-04-2011 11:37 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Million bucks says those copies come from Deluxe.

Oh, and you spelt "aaaarrrRggggghhhhH!!!" wrong.

It's these little things that matter. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-04-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark has a great point. Don't play them. Tell the studios you aren't programmed to play Northman or Crash Test on any movies, now where are Transformers and Thor? When they tell you that Crash Test is TF3, for example, then ask why it is renamed and get into as long as a conversation about it as possible just to annoy the piss out of them. Do this each and every time.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 12:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great plan but it would only punish the poor exhibitor relations people, not the idiot "suits" who make the decisions to do these dopey things.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 01:27 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boo hoo Mike.... it is those exhib relations guys (and gals) who have a pipeline to the dumbass suits and they NEED to get thier shit together!!

This whole fake name thing is incredibly stupid, it was bad enough with film prints (but at least you could open the can or unwind a bit of the trailer to see what you have) but now with D-Crapema you have to waste valuable time ingesting the shit to see if it is what you need.

I agree 100% with Mike and Joe, call and tell them you aren't playing that title and if they don't send out the trailers with the REAL feature names, don't play them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You actually think the exhibitor relations people have a "pipeline to the suits" who make decisions? Wake up and smell the film cleaner. They might have an e-mail address that will get to the suit's secretary, but I'd bet that's about all.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-04-2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY STUDIO IDIOTS...KNOCK IT OFF!!!

Seriously, we have better things to do than play your stupid games. I can't tell you how many times people have come to pick up a print and the pickup failed because of that nonsense. I understand the false sense of security fake names provides...BUT ITS JUST A TRAILER! Its a piece of ADVERTISING for YOUR MOVIE! Do you want it played or not?

quote: John Wilson
As it's not possible to rename the files in the Dolby Server, now I have to make a note of what fake name goes with what real movie in the trailer files???
Nope, just don't play them. The ONLY way to get the suit's attention is to watch their movie not do as much business as they predicted.

BTW John, are these trailers (that don't exist) encrypted? Since they are already on YouTube that would be phenomenally stupid.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 02:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree the whole idea of mis-naming trailers is incredibly stupid, but not playing them for that reason would be more stupid, unless you are a wealthy exhibitor that doesn't need good ticket sales.

As for the suits, you have to remember that these are the same people who pay millions of dollars for TV ads, yet produce one-sheets that don't have the NAME OF THE FREAKING MOVIE on them. So you're not exactly talking about people who have much sense here.

Joe's idea (a few posts up) about calling in and being "confused" about the wrong names is probably the best. Anything that can generate a lot of complaints from the people on the front lines to their supervisors might get a few things to change.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-04-2011 04:20 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's point is the most valid here.

These trailers are for THEIR film, NOT yours.
This whole thing smacks of some idiot suit who is hell bent on justifying his/her job. There is NO thought put into this idea. The fact that the damn thing is on You Tube surely is a no-brainer?

I can understand Mike's point too, but making the exhib's job that much harder does nothing for the better presentation of the studio's product. There should be NO need to get on their arses every time something stupid like this happens.

Tell them to bash their trailer and just copy a poster onto the preshow slides and run that.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-05-2011 04:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This stupid idea is dumb on so many fronts...

1. It's a DCP. No-one else can play it.
2. Putting the flash drive in a PC it tells you it needs to be formatted to use it so you can't get at the file anyway.
3. It's a TRAILER! It's ADVERTISING! Would you like the links to them on YouTube or the links to them on the official movie site?
4. The flash drive (with the fake file name) came with a handy ID tag naming the REAL movie title.

I'm going to diplomatically explain why this is the dumbest idea this year (the year is still young) and ask them to fix it up and re-send the files with the correct name on it. We'll see how that goes.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-08-2011 06:13 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At first I was thinking that someone must think that the fake named trailers would be helpful because they would get you acquainted with the fake name that will be used on the feature. But who am I kidding. The feature will have a different name.

And "Crash Test" is a pretty funny name for Transformers 3. I wonder if they're referring to this scene.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2011 07:47 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. It's a DCP. No-one else can play it.
2. Putting the flash drive in a PC it tells you it needs to be formatted to use it so you can't get at the file anyway.

Technically this is not 100% correct, because any Windows PC with Stereoscopic Player http://www.3dtv.at can play a DCP, most trailers are distributed in FAT32 format which is plug-and-play accessible by any PC or Mac, and the few that are formatted in EXT2/3 can be read as well with a Linux install, or free third-party drivers.

But then again, it's only advertising.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2011 03:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I wouldn't post something like this, but the PITA who decided to start making fake titles on DCI trailers has angered me enough to do this and deserves this.

www.fs-driver.org

There you go John! Don't forget to select "automatically assign drive letter" during installation.

Lindsay Ross
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2011 07:42 AM      Profile for Lindsay Ross   Email Lindsay Ross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

I’m a long time reader of Film-Tech but I’ve never posted to the forum before as up to now I’ve never had anything to say or share that someone else hasn’t already posted to the site….. How ever I can help with renaming trailers.

First download and install XML Notepad 2007 from Microsoft (It’s Free) at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en

Then right click the cpl, select properties and make a note of the size in bytes.

Close the properties and using XML Notepad open the cpl file.

The field “ContentTitleText” is what appears on the server, you can edit this field to display whatever you want, I generally put the film title, the trailer version and the certificate in the field but you can put whatever you want in , once you have made your changes save the cpl overwriting the original.

Now right click the cpl, again, select properties and make a note of the new size in bytes.

Next using XML Notepad open the pkl file.

Expand the tree for “AssetList” and expand the asset trees until you find the one whose size is the same as the original cpl file.

Nearly there, replace this field with the size of the new cpl file and delete all the characters from the “Hash” field. (Take care not to delete the “Hash” field from the Asset tree)

Finally save and overwrite the pkl file.

And that’s it; this should now ingest on to your server and display what you want.

It is possible to generate a new hash for the pkl but so far I’ve found you don’t need one.

This works for the Doremi servers but I would suggest that you make a copy of the original cpl and pkl files before you try this so that you can revert back to the original if it doesn’t work with your server.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: