Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Replacing a Hard Drive Disk on a DCP 2000

Author Topic: Replacing a Hard Drive Disk on a DCP 2000
Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2011 10:57 AM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,

When you replace a HDD on a DCP 2000 (more generally on all digital cinema's servers), you have to put a HDD of the same size to rebuild the RAID. Doremi has a list of all HDD that can fit into their products.

My question is : can you put a HDD of different manufacturers ? For example, the disk to be replaced is a Samsung HE103UJ (1000 GB). I can't find it on the market. Can i put an 1 TB Hitachi reference 0A35722 (it's on Doremi's list "HDD approved") ? Is it a problem for the server or is it OK ?

Thanks for your answer.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-05-2011 12:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not ideal, but yes it will work.

If you have multiple DCP2000s in your multiplex, it would be smarter to put 4 new Hitachis in there and hold onto the 3 good Samsungs to use as backups or your other servers.

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Brad

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2011 03:21 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

if you change all the drives at once you can't use the rebuild procedure?

What would you suggest to creat a new raid?
Swapping the drives one by one and applying the rebuild on each drive swapped or running a full install (with software that most projection room don't have)?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-06-2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you replace all three hard drives you will no longer have any content so you can't rebuild the RAID to recover content - that's basically what the rebuild is for. Call Doremi support for the procedure to initialize the RAID with all three drives replaced, I don't remember it. This will cause lots of problems with content though. You will lose all content. Including the "factory" content you need to build a playlist. Better to replace one drive at a time and rebuild the RAID after each new drive is installed. At the end of this all-day process you should have 3 new drives and all content retained.
Any same-size drive on the supported drives list will work. It's slightly "better" to have all three the same exactly but the server will not have a problem with mixed brands.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-06-2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I prefer to start clean, but Dave has a good point regarding content. Note if you DO start clean, the library (if you have one) will have issues claiming the content isn't on that server, when it really is. The problem will fix itself as those movies leave the building and new ones are brought in.

John Gavin
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2011 02:05 AM      Profile for John Gavin   Email John Gavin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the disks in an array need not be the same type, but they
should have at least the same capacity, performance ( or better )
and be a Doremi approved drive.

Personally, I like to keep servers with the same type drives
( manufacturer, model number and firmware ) but that is not
always possible.

Concerning creating a new raid array. Software 2.0.10 and higher
has a new diagnostics tab. Go to the STORAGE tab, then select
REPAIR and you will see the REINITIALIZE option. Select this to
create a new raid set on new drives ( if you use an existing raid
set ALL THE DATA WILL BE DESTROYED - TAKE CARE ).

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-30-2013 04:04 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 841 days since the last post.

Mohd Ridzuan
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2013 04:04 AM      Profile for Mohd Ridzuan   Email Mohd Ridzuan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I'm new in this forum n would like to meet more peoples to gain more my experinece n knowledge in this cinema field. I'm also know this topic are way to long back, but now it seem to be useful for me..

I had a DCP2000 doremi server
Fw version 30.05q
sw version 2.2.5-0
SM version 5.0.19-0

there were message in yellow shown that
Raid Status /opt (md1): degraded
device status unknown online

is there anyone know how to solve it.

much appreciate of ur kindness and million thank you in advance

Mr. Wan

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-30-2013 07:16 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have access to the Doremi manuals? You can download them from Doremis website.

First thing is to do a consistency check on the RAID to repair possible software errors. If that doesn't solve the problems, you need to find out wether a disc has hardware issues and needs to be replaced, by looking at disc diagnostics.

Check this manual for RAID maintenance procedures:

http://www.doremilabs.com/downloads/manuals/DCP-2000_and_DCP-2K4_Field_Installer_Manual_001659_v1_2.pdf

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-30-2013 07:35 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "diagnostic tools", "storage", you can check individual drives and analyze the RAID status.
Basically you can get a replacement drive (from the Doremi approved drive list) of the same size (probably 1Tb). Then power down, remove the dead drive caddy and put the new drive in the caddy. Then just put the drive in and power up, the RAID will rebuild itself with the new drive - that takes a while but you can play content while its doing it.
If you do replace all the drives then all your content will have to be reingested. The "standard content" test stuff can be found on the Doremi ftp site.
Note that there is new Doremi firmware for the Showvault/IMB - 30.07c-1 - which solves a few issues, particularly one that occasionally gives you a no-image show on the first run after powerup. Plus the HDMI input is supposed to work with fewer problems, I haven't tried that yet.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2013 03:05 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
slightly off topic -

In theory, could you replace all the drives by swapping them one at a time doing a rebuild after each one and keep content?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-30-2013 04:41 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. But in case you think of that, you wouldn't gain capacity by replacing one-by-one with larger harddiscs - the smallest disc will limit all new drives to it's same size during every rebuilt and the overhead size will remain invisible.

Only if you delete/reinitialize the RAID completely would you gain access to the full disc capacity.

-Carsten

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2013 01:39 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally what i would do in the event of any error related to storage or raid, is start of by checking the smart ctl status through the terminal on the doremi server.

From SMART status we can see which hard drive has an issue with reallocated sectors or UDMA errors and so on. This would be a more accurate way. Also with the new Doremi Software it will have an alert message when SMART value was to change on a particular hard drive.

So in the case when the hard drive has a SMART error, we will replace that hard drive regardless if the damage is small or not, because movie playbacks depends on the hard drives.

Just sharing how i do the checks.

Mohd Ridzuan
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2013 09:29 AM      Profile for Mohd Ridzuan   Email Mohd Ridzuan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all ur kindness information guys. Carsten, Dave n Danial. tqvm

as now i replaced the top HDD the yellow message shown System degraded no more. thanks guys

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: