Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » E-Cinema Server-Security Implementation

Author Topic: E-Cinema Server-Security Implementation
Venkat SIddareddy
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Venkat SIddareddy   Author's Homepage   Email Venkat SIddareddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I am an independent Digital Cinema Developer from India. Recently I have completed the development of a very cost-effective E-Cinema server. The sound and image are extremely good. They are far better than the existing servers here.
But I am stuck at the HDCP or similar implementation.
Can some one suggest a decent way for protecting my video signal?
Right now my server can check for a valid projector and will start playing the encrypted video only if the projector is valid.
However I can use a DVI/HDMI splitter and connect a second device after the video starts playing in the first device.

What are the possible ways of preventing this?

If there are any programmers out there who are willing to help me implement these security features I would be glad to collaborate with them.

Thanks
Venkat

|  IP: Logged

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using a standard HDCP compliant video card it will send content to any HDCP display device. If you switch in the middle of a stream, it will re-negotiate with the the new device and play. If you are using an HDCP compliant splitter, you can even feed multiple devices. So, your scenario may be perfectly valid.

Venkat SIddareddy
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2011 12:35 PM      Profile for Venkat SIddareddy   Author's Homepage   Email Venkat SIddareddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like even HDCP is cracked. So what are the options now?
Can I build a custom DVI cable and DVI port with a different pin config so that a stripper/splitter might not understand the signal? Is this done before? Is it possible at all?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2011 02:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please change the title of this thread to "E-cinema", not digital cinema. The way it reads now it will confuse some people into thinking it is capable of playing DCPs.

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2011 02:50 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be too worried about the HDCP security compromise, especially not enough to go trying to engineer some proprietary hardware workaround. That sounds messy.

Venkat SIddareddy
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2011 10:37 PM      Profile for Venkat SIddareddy   Author's Homepage   Email Venkat SIddareddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if I have a video card which supports HDCP, then there is no need for any implementation of HDCP logic?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-05-2011 11:10 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct. That is, assuming you have a display that itself supports HDCP also

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you'd still need to set the HDCP enable flags for high-value content and a few other things. It depends on how you plan on playing the content. You may want to purchase a middleware SDK, like Elliptic. An E-Cinema server is a bit more involved than just taking a PC and playing video to a digital projector.

Venkat SIddareddy
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2011 12:50 AM      Profile for Venkat SIddareddy   Author's Homepage   Email Venkat SIddareddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi thanks for the information about Elliptic. I will try to get in touch with them.
Our E-Cinema server contains not just playback but it is a completely automated application suite which includes playlist management, auto file ingest, logging, resumable playback, alternate content playback, support for ads, trailers and slides etc.
The video itself is a 300Mbps with crystal clear uncompressed audio quality.
The Video and audio files are encrypted. Apart from that we have a similar architecture to DCI interms of reel by reel video processing and the audio and video files are separate tracks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: