Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Movie about the end of Film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Movie about the end of Film
Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2011 08:54 AM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
We 4 days left and we would really love it if you could help us! As of now we are trying to raise enough to cover equipment rental to continue to capture as many stories as possible. We will be traveling to MI in a few weeks to grab some small town theater footage and my parents telling of how they met 40 years ago at the Garden Theater in Frankfort, MI. $10.00 will take us a long way! campaign and a teaser trailer can be seen here http://www.indiegogo.com/TheLostPictureShow

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you shooting on film or video?

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly I have to shoot on digital. I can barely afford to do that. If I had access to the film stock, the equipment and could pay to produce prints AND be able to exhibit on film I certainly would. This is something we plan to showcase in the movie-that we can't even shoot it on film. Even if I had all those resources, at the rate of conversion would it make any sense? I plan to use the movie to educate and help small communities as much as possible and prolong the end of film on the exhibition end. I want to help as many small theaters and mom & pops to raise funds to help them pay for the conversion. I want to help to preserve the existing film now and hopefully convince the studios to consider keeping film around a little longer. With the recent news of Kodak going bankrupt I am concerned that it may be harder to do. I understand the irony in this, but I feel it is important to document what is happening and do my best to make a difference.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-06-2011 07:05 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Kodak has actually gone bankrupt. They may in the future but lets not make it any worse than it is.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2011 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USA Today Kodak Article

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that Kodak (KOD) has hired Sullivan & Cromwell's restructuring practice to advise on ways to rework its finances. Citing sources it did not name, the newspaper says Kodak is no longer being advised by Jones Day's restructuring practice.

The newspaper says the shift is meaningful because Simon & Cromwell often advises companies on transactions that don't involve bankruptcy court.

Kodak spokesman Gerard Meuchner says Kodak has employed Sullivan & Cromwell for decades and still retains Jones Day "but we don't itemize the work any of our advisers do for us."

Kodak insists it had no intention of filing for bankruptcy protection.

Its shares rose 4 cents to $1.09 per share in morning trading Tuesday.

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LA times paints a more gloomy picture for them http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hiltzik-20111204,0,507980.column

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2011 11:35 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you read the article to the end, it shows some hope. But then again, that was basically an opinion piece from two days ago, while the other link is a hard news story from today.

As for your film, I am curious about something... will this film be a fair and unbiased look at the state of exhibition today, or will be a one-sided work of propaganda? You don't have to answer that. It's clear you'll be as fair and unbiased as Michael Moore or Ben Stein.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-06-2011 11:45 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting choice of icons from the left and right.

Like all doc. films in progress, we'll have to wait and see what film emerges.

My impression is it will be somewhat nostalgic.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 12:08 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the choice of music and candy bar add snipes at the beginning of the docs trailer is brilliant,an emotional and nostalgic charge comes out of that!
I think this documentary will be excellent!

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-07-2011 12:58 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sam and Victor.

This appears to be a passionate take on the changes that the digital revolution is/will have on the movie going experience.

I have a gut feeling it's going to be very good... so I have contributed to the production.

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 09:38 AM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all that have made contributions! I still have a lot to shoot and I will be touching on all sides of the issue as much as I am able to capture, but I will be staying on the fun and nostalgic to keep it entertaining and emotional. There are a lot of wonderful stories from family owned businesses, community run houses and more that really need to be shared with the world. This is a historical moment that is making a change and I feel honored to help document it for future education. My intensions are to preserve as much of film history as possible and hopefully win a place for both film and digital. I believe there is plenty room for both.

I will be updating our progress on the campaign site and working with a web designer to get the movie website up and running to also keep updates. I have a professional grant writer that is helping me with grant applications so we can get the budget to really do this well. Say what you will about Michael, he has made a huge contribution to the documentary world and helped to make them entertaining. He is also my advisor since I was his personal assistant not long ago. This will be a great movie and your contributions will be part of something special. Thank you!

Jenn Jennings

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 12:36 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I read things like this from your site, I have severe doubts it will be fair or balanced...

"Revealing how Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp and the giants of Disney, Sony, and Fox are force-feeding cinematic exhibitors digital projection devices using hidden terms, manipulative incentives and 'inside job' strategies to rollout a mass conversion that helps them achieve a distribution monopoly"

Sounds like it's going to be an absolute snowjob, from someone on the outside of the industry who doesn't know the history of this industry. There have been a number of seismic shocks to the industry over the years, which each required theatre owners large and small to fork over serious cash to either stay in the game or get out. Sound in the 20s, a plethora of competing widescreen formats in the 50s, automation and stereo sound in the 70s, digital sound and stadium seating in the 90s, digital projection in the 00s.

In the mid 90s, I was operating an independent theatre in a small town in Central California. The theatre was one of the original Fox theatres, whose balcony was split in two in the late 80s, and the theatre did very good business. The main house still sat several hundred people, and during my tenure there, the theatre saw more business than it had seen in a long time. But the owner still wanted to build a new eight screen theatre down the road, because we were the only theatre in town and we were unable to play all the movies we wanted to play with just three screens. That second theatre got built, and for a number of years, both theatres were able to co-exist. But when the economy went south a couple years back, the owners had to make a tough choice: close the older theatre and upgrade the newer theatre, or keep operating both but be unable to upgrade to digital projection. So they made the hard choice to close the first theatre. They've only changed two theatres over to digital to date, and I know they regret closing their long-time baby.

I'd be willing to bet some independent, small-town theatre operators are going to use the digital revolution as an excuse to get out of the business. Their traffic wasn't all that great to begin with, and they don't think digital will be the thing that brings people back, so why lay out all that money for new equipment if you can't get people in the building in the first place? Maybe it's not the theatre, but the operator.

The main problem I have with the direction of this documentary, from the descriptions provided by you and your team, is that for all its greatness, nostalgia doesn't get patrons in the door. Nostalgia doesn't pay the bills and keep the doors open. Nor will just converting to digital. The issues are far more complex than your very limited scope, and limiting your scope is going to limit your audience. Maybe that's one of the reasons you are nowhere near your fundraising goal after nearly two months.

I'm not here to get you down or make you feel your project isn't worthy. I lost tens of thousands of dollars of my own money trying to make a movie that didn't happen, when I wore a younger man's clothes. It hurts to lose that much time and energy and effort and, yes, money. But sit down with your team and take a long hard look at your project. Maybe you're going at it from the wrong angle.

(To Sam... I just chose the first lefty and righty jingoistic "documentarians" that popped in to my head. I dislike them, and the political left and right, equally, for the same reasons: they spend too much time preaching to the converted and not enough time trying to get figure out real solutions to the issues they say they want to solve.)

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 12:49 PM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a long response but I decided to let it go.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 01:07 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit. I see Jenn posted before I did.

Ed Posts,

"Revealing how Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp and the giants of Disney, Sony, and Fox are force-feeding cinematic exhibitors digital projection devices using hidden terms, manipulative incentives and 'inside job' strategies to rollout a mass conversion that helps them achieve a distribution monopoly".

There are farcical aspects of truth to the above quote. Christie, and all the other "packages" are all done in secret with NDA's required. I finally got to read one of them and aside from being bored to death reading 80 + pages of boiler plate legalese, I'm not sure why all the secrecy and paranoia.

I don't think it's the job of the documentary maker to find the solution, it's their job to bring attention to the issue. Jenn certainly knows quite a bit of cinema history so I don't think that is the issue.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 01:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in favor of anyone who wishes to do their own independent projects regardless of how equal or one-sided they might be. Frankly, thats for me - the viewer - to make up my mind about, and, moreover, I'm a big boy.

However, Edward is right about one thing:
quote: Edward Havens
for all its greatness, nostalgia doesn't get patrons in the door
Perhaps your next documentary should be on how crappy many of these mega-cinema presentation has become because for the last 30+ years film presentation has suffered to the point where patrons are just accustomed to garbage. If presentations never suffered because of cheap CEO's, owners, service-techs, general managers, sloppy operators . . . the list goes on . . . then maybe the modern movie-goer would care about nostalgia. Perhaps your next documentary should shame those people who only care as long as an image is on the screen and something (might) be coming out of the speakers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: