Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Do high-frequency speakers deteriorate over time? Or is it just my ears? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Do high-frequency speakers deteriorate over time? Or is it just my ears?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 08:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sound question, but we have digital equipment so I guess it should go in this forum. (Maybe we need a sound forum?)

Anyway. Lately I have noticed that our sound seems to be kind of muddy, and the sibilant sounds aren't as strong as I think they should be sometimes. I notice this especially in action scenes. It makes the dialogue harder to understand. I also notice it in music segments...there doesn't seem to be enough treble.

When we've played movies with lots of British accented actors (Harry Potter, for example) I've had a couple of comments from people saying they had a hard time understanding the dialogue. I attributed it to the accents or maybe a lousy sound mix, but...now I'm not so sure.

We have Peavey 2-way speakers for our main stage speakers -- they each have two, 15" woofers and a horn mid/tweeter. We have two Peavey 18" subs. We do not have a baffle wall yet (although it's on my to-do list).

For amps, we have (4) QSC DCA1622s, and one QSC DCA3422. The 3422 runs the subs.

Our surround speakers aren't really the issue here of course, but just in the interest of completeness we have (10) EV 2-way speakers, don't know the model number but they have an 8" woofer and a 2" dome tweeter. In the balcony we have (2) JBL speakers which are slightly smaller (6" woofer).

Our processor is a Dolby CP650. And, our sound gets EQd every 6 months or so, so I don't think it's an alignment issue but maybe that's it too.

Last year we had a nice visit with the QSC guy at CinemaCon and almost went to 3-ways right then, but then I remembered I don't like to "impulse buy." So here we are. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions (if we need to upgrade something) would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-21-2012 09:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike:

It is possible for HF drivers to deteriorate over time...usually by the metal diaphragm shattering or flaking apart.

The Peavey stage speakers suck in general...if you go to QSC's with the proper crossovers (or use a DCM monitor) you and your customers will be amazed at the difference in the sound quality. Getting the QSC's would be a very wise expenditure. If your budget won't let you replace the surrounds, leave them alone for now. The Peavey subs are ok, but again if you can, replace them with QSC.

Keep us posted on this.. [Smile]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-22-2012 01:05 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even used JBL 4675 or similar are much better choices that Peavey for this application. I would bi-amp for sure.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2012 02:27 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've replaced quite a few HF diaphrams-hair line cracks at the edge of the fold can easily develop.

HF diaphrams have the thickness of very thin alum foil where all the flexing they have to go through, they can split and go raspy.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-22-2012 06:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would leave the surrounds and subs alone; they are OK enough and you won't hear much change.

That said, I agree with Sam that good used JBLs (or new QSCs) are what the doctor ordered. Only the 3 stage speakers. Louis

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2012 07:43 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horns tend to fail much more than they degrade, and when they do degrade, they generally do so making the sound not quieter but just uglier.

A Peavey 2x15 plus little horn isn't really the right tool for this sort of job. Fifteens aren't real good with voice ever, but for many purposes are an tolerable compromise. These are bar band territory.

So you either need to spring for "genuine" cinema speakers, or much higher quality sound reinforcement speakers.

Cinema main speakers are only able to get away with fifteen inch drivers because of the qualities of the cinema horn, which is a very different animal to a bar band speaker horn.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2012 11:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So you either need to spring for "genuine" cinema speakers,
Well, these are "genuine" cinema speakers, or at least they were purported to be when we bought them in the late '80s. The horns aren't "little," they are almost as wide as the main cabinets (they sit on top of them).

At the time, we had 3 choices of systems and opted to go with the middle one due to the cost. The top system had JBL speakers if I remember correctly. The middle system had the same electronics, but substituted the Peavey speakers. The lowest priced system was only a center-surround setup. Glad I was smart enough not to go that route at least.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-23-2012 12:05 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming you have the dual woofer boxes. If so, you could maybe save the bass cabinets and speakers and go with JBL or EV drivers and horns, either long or short as space behind the screen permits.

You could then Bi-amp if it's not already done. Sound will get much better.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2012 02:37 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Well, these are "genuine" cinema speakers, or at least they were purported to be when we bought them in the late '80s. The horns aren't "little," they are almost as wide as the main cabinets (they sit on top of them).

Time for me to eat some humble pie; that description does indeed sound a long way from bar band boxes. I wasn't even aware that Peavey Archetectural did cinema stuff, but yes, they did, and still do, and some of it has the THX stamp of approval.

But having said that, even their current THX approved horn only goes down to 400Hz which (in my opinion) isn't low enough by most of an octave. They also have a 16 inch wide horn that would certainly look the part, but it only goes to 800Hz, nearly two octaves short, and that is almost in bar band territory. That horn is not THX approved!

Although Peavey is a brand that has always concentrated on value, their kit always worked and did what it said on the can.

Thus I have no idea why your intelligability has gone. But rather than guess, one could measure.

The best diagnostic tool I know of for dicovering sound problems is Smaart and its transfer function analysis. If you have or can acquire a reasonable mic and and a USB mic preamp then you can download it on a 30 day trial, and have a play, but it may be quicker, cheaper, easier and get a better result to find someone who has the tools and has done the training (Smaart is a dumb tool; it is the operator that makes sense of it) and have them come and evaluate the system. If you get stuck in cinema world try your local sound providers, anyone with a decent size ad in the yellow pages probably has Smaart.

Biamping as noted can make a difference, simply because an electronic crossiver is much easier to adjust than the passive thing in the back of a speaker box, enabling a much better mact of signal to the driver elements, and also modern DSP based corssovers allow time alighnment. But... if the system used to sound acceptable, then it shouldn't need biamping ito restore it to where it was.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-23-2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Buckley
Thus I have no idea why your intelligability has gone.
It's not exactly GONE, it's just less than I feel like it should be. We watched "The Lorax" last night and had no problems hearing everything. But, even so the sound just didn't sound as "crisp" as it should, to me at least.

We are already bi-amped.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2012 05:05 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
We are already bi-amped
That changes things quite a bit; there are a lot more elements in the path, and thge chances of it being a horn problem are diminishing.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,I would try ordering a new tweeter diaphragm.I bet it will get you back to that like new crispness and at least it rules that out.
I have used some of the more expensive sound re-enforcement speakers from Peavey and they may not be the best but not crap either.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have your tech come in and check your B chain. High frequency problems will show up if there are problems with the horns. The EQ may be off a bit or something changed about it. I would do this before investing money into new equipment or replacing parts.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the degree of degredation it could even been dust plugging up the holes in your screen or clogging the end of the driver assy.
Agree with Daryl on checking your B-Chain. If it is a natural decline due to environmental issues he may be able to eq it out.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-24-2012 05:49 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would substitute the hf driver from the left or right channel to the center channels as this is where most of the dialog comes from and our ears are most sensitive to distortion from human voices.

See if that does the trick. If not, change the amp from the left or right and then the crossover if all three are the same type.

If you do get a tech out, have them use an audio sweep generator to check for crackling, rattling, etc.

FWIW, all the eq. and pink noise in the world will never find a distortion source, it has to be done with audio tones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: