Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Madagascar 3 aspect ratio (2D)

Author Topic: Madagascar 3 aspect ratio (2D)
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2012 11:15 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pre-screened this morning, and the 1.85:1 flat image does not fill my screen from side to side. Top and bottom are fine. I'm just coming off MIB 3 which is also flat, and that show fit the screen fine. I also ran a test image for flat and it filled the screen. Anyone else running into this issue?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-07-2012 11:49 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it might be 1.78 (aka 16x9) -- I've had that from time to time, but not with a big-budget Hollywood feature -- not that I get too many of those here.

Even though the lens file is the same as 1.85, I went ahead and made a 1.78 preset with its own screen file, to create parallel edges with the side masking. (I've got visible keystoning, but maybe you don't.)

The DCI naming convention only refers to Flat, Scope and Full Container. Pretty much anything that isn't 2.39 gets labeled as "Flat."

So, now that "Flat" doesn't really mean anything anymore, I've taken to naming my presets "DCI 185" and "DCI 178" etc so as to be as specific as possible.

(I have several flavors of 1.85 so, yeah, I have to differentiate between DCI 1.85 versus HD 1.85 and SD 1.85, and even 35mm 1.85 -- when digital trailers precede a film feature and I don't want to adjust the screen masking curtains.)

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi from Malaysia, today we screened this movie, and the same thing too.

All our install site's called in saying that the content properties from the server shows 1998 x 1080 but on the DCP it wrote HD 2K

I e-mailed deluxe they replied i see reference 2k... didnt answer my question

What is happening..

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-09-2012 07:39 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this results from a floating window 3D master being cropped for 2D. You would think that for animation movies they could easily render out every imaginable aspect ratio, but maybe this time they didn't bother for a dedicated 2D version and created it from the 3D.

- Carsten

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2012 08:27 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get 1.77:1 DCPs all the time - particularly for some rep titles, unfortunately.

Like Manny, it's gotten to the point where I have separate presets for DCI 133, 166, 177, 185, 220, and 239.

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2012 05:32 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3 D version is 1.77 with a very noticeable floating windows.
I was surprised to see that the 2 D version was also in 1.77...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: