Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP1500 - bad idea?

Author Topic: Barco DP1500 - bad idea?
Joel Shepard
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Joel Shepard   Email Joel Shepard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. We are looking to upgrade to a 2K projector, so that we can show DCP as well as properly exhibit HD video files. This is a museum venue, with a small 92-seat theater. We generally do not show new commercial studio titles, but occasions do arise.

I'll spare you the details, but someone here at the office has stepped in to try to find a way to save money on this project. They've located a Barco DP1500 for about $15,000. This is less than half of the price of the Christie CP2210 I have been asking for.

Of course the DP1500 is a Series 1 projector. Can anyone out there educate me on why it's a bad idea to buy a Series 1 projector? Or, perhaps it's not actually a bad idea....I don't know, and I'm trying to educate myself.

Thank you for any information.

Joel Shepard
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
San Francisco

|  IP: Logged

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 12:20 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Series one projectors are no longer DCI compliant. If you are showing new release movies and receiving a VFP you must be and stay DCI compliant. If you are not doing a VFP then I am unsure many drive-ins have the older equipment and they aren't on VFP.

The film company could change the rules at anytime and make it where anyone showing Digital prints must be compliant. Some or most series one can be made DCI compliant, for a price.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-02-2012 01:24 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the issue of no High Frame Rate support.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam I forgot about that. Lots of money to make them right and then no real warranty with them other than maybe the upgrade. In long run it might be better to just bite the bullet.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-02-2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than the HFR 3D thing...there is nothing image wise against the DP-1500. As for DCI compliant...not an issue in this venue, based on description and with a GORE board, will satisfy that part of the sticky issue anyway. Since they are grandfathered in VPF programs if they were installed by 12/2010, the studios will not be stopping the ability to play with them anytime soon.

The real concerns, if HFR 3D isn't one, is that it is out of warranty so any repairs are on you (and they can be pricey...especially if it is a light engine) and that it is closer to obsolescence than a new projector. Presuming Barco keeps their 10-year goal of support of discontinued machines...you are down to 7.5 years of potential support and decreasing...so getting parts MAY become an issue sooner than on current machines. There are quite a few series 1 machines out there so they will likely be supported better than say the DP100/DP90 (and older).

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2012 02:48 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve there will be 24 frame 3D and 2D for HFR as I understand it. Everyone is not going to upgrade new projector series 2 for that one film at this point. Or is it a DCI compliance issue?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-02-2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is NO DCI spec for HFR 3D. At the moment...the only DCI requirement that I've seen is up to 48fps 2D (which the DP-1500 will do).

I have no idea (nor does anyone else) know what will happen with the HFR stuff or even 3D's longevity. There are a LOT of systems in right now that can not do HFR 3D without a pile of money thrown at it.

If you ARE looking to be at the cutting edge of the technology though...then you shouldn't be looking to save a buck on the projector...if you are just looking to be able to run DCPs (and are not ever thinking of a VPF program) then there is nothing particularly wrong with getting a series 1 and similar server so long as you acknowledge the potential longevity/expense issues outlined above.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 02:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joel Shepard
This is a museum venue, with a small 92-seat theater.
What screen size?

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-03-2012 10:57 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done a lot of work on this venue.

The screen has moveable masking on all legs. Max useable picture size is 7 by 16 or so.

I have a quote in for a 2210 because of exhaust and physical size limitations. If the issue goes on long enough I would use the new Solaria One I saw in Barcelona.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that the only "HFR issue" is on 3D HFR. Currently only The Hobbit and Avatar2 on the horizon.
For all other requirements (so including 2D HFR and DCI compliance), the DP1500 should do just fine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: