Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Video: The Digital revolution in Suffolk, UK! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Video: The Digital revolution in Suffolk, UK!
Mike Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 08:22 AM      Profile for Mike Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I though you guys might be interested to see the video we shot whilst replacing our 35mm Vic-5 with a shiny new Christie CP2220 digital projector.

We are a relatively small (266 seats) independent in Woodbridge, Suffolk called The Riverside Theatre and I am lucky enough to be one of the projectionists.

One of our number is an amateur film-maker and I think he did a great job documenting the changeover. We collected many of our projectionists past and present on the day we removed the old projector. We showed "The Smallest Show on Earth" as our last film and then set to work!

Anyway - the short film is on Youtube if you would like to see it. Any and all comments welcome.

Riverside Video

Regards

|  IP: Logged

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 08:34 AM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice video you've put together there. Give my regards to Tom if he is still there. He and his partner visited us here at The Kinema in Woodhall Spa last year.

We actually showed The Smallest Show On Earth on 35mm this weekend as part of our 90th Birthday Celebrations - a very fitting film! It was the first 35mm film we've shown since we had digital installed in November last year.

Hope you enjoy continued success with the new equipment!

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 09:15 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't this be in the Digital Cinema Forum?

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 11:28 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice video Mike!

Mike Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the video worked out really well.

I had setup two cameras doing timelapse, but one failed after about an hour! Luckily the other one kept going and I actually have about 4 hours of frames off that one.

Fred did a great job putting it all together and, I think, the end result is a great record of our changeover.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-28-2012 12:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
where's the "like" button? [Smile]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 03:43 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a lovely place to see a film, it's the wrong side of Ipswich for me to go on a 'competitor visit' unfortunately!

It's fantastic that people are commemorating film heritage like this. One of my cinemas in Edinburgh has a vic 5 in a glass box next to their box office with a sign showing the dates of operation (only ten years but better than nothing) and a short piece about 35mm.

Mike Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2012 05:06 PM      Profile for Mike Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
It's fantastic that people are commemorating film heritage like this. One of my cinemas in Edinburgh has a vic 5 in a glass box next to their box office with a sign showing the dates of operation (only ten years but better than nothing) and a short piece about 35mm.
The current plan is to put the Vic on display in the foyer probably with a digital picture frame showing information about the history etc.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see couple of weel ken't faces in that. Little and large would be a fair description.

Mike Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2012 10:39 AM      Profile for Mike Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
I see couple of weel ken't faces in that. Little and large would be a fair description.
[Eek!] Not sure if I should be pleased or cross?

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2012 02:21 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a very nice video, only an hours drive from me, might have to have a look, pllllllllllease [Wink]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2012 04:19 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not you Mike, I was referring to the installers

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2012 08:40 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely Theatre and video, thank you for sharing.

Mike Wright
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2012 04:20 AM      Profile for Mike Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the transition has not gone completely without glitches!

We had a relay (or something) overheat inside the projector - took us off-screen for a day and a half.

Had a few problems showing a DVD via a laptop - not sure that was the wisest decision. Is it better to use a good DVD/Blu-ray player or a laptop with HDMI output?

Not related - but last night our screen curtains stopped working!

Anyway - on with the show :-)

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-18-2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Wright
Had a few problems showing a DVD via a laptop - not sure that was the wisest decision. Is it better to use a good DVD/Blu-ray player or a laptop with HDMI output?
It definitly is the better idea to use a dedicated BluRay Player.

Setting up a PC or Laptop for decent playback is a nightmare, even for the educated.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: