Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Anyone ever misplace a theatrical DCP hard drive, what are the penalties.

Author Topic: Anyone ever misplace a theatrical DCP hard drive, what are the penalties.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 03:00 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious if anyone has ever misplaced or lost a hard drive what happens. I am sure it happens. I remember this being covered with film but now that everything is hard drive and the media is cheaper
what do they do. What if its no longer in theaters.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2012 05:23 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about your situation, but I knew a theater owner
who started receivng disk drives even though he did not have
digital cinema equipment installed, nor did he plan to.
He didn't even know what they were at the time. They stopped
coming after a few weeks. That was about 2 years ago, and as
far as I know, all the drives are still sitting in a pile in
a store room.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-29-2012 05:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the theatre where I worked in college (in the late '90s) that was getting DTS trailer disks, despite not having DTS. They also occasionally got trailers on 3/4" or Beta SP videotape, rather than 35mm, apparently due to various distributors' cluelessness (and they didn't have video projection).

As to the original question, I'm guessing that, at worst, the theatre might be billed for the cost of the disk (maybe $50) and the cost of the Pelican case that it was shipped in.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-29-2012 06:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I'll bet they would try to soak you for at least $150, or more likely $300 or more.

It definitely pays to keep the tracking numbers of returned drives. I've had to "prove" that we returned at least 5 or 6 of them over the last two years. That's a problem we NEVER had with film!

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, there still exists the problem when the courier forgets to pick up:

-

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice shot! really awesome.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can tell you that you are lucky one. they are not taking yours DCP's.

I always receive DCP 2-3 hours before scheduled show [Frown]

Eventually distributors will ask themselves "where are our DCPs? can someone check tracking lists?" [Wink]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received 42 separate emails from Technicolor last week, each with a Microsoft Word file attachment asking about one hard drive (both features and Trail Mix), going back to stuff that I returned last April.

I consolidated all of that onto one spreadsheet, sorted it, and then went through my waybills file, matched each title to a waybill and added the waybill number and shipping date to the spreadsheet. I emailed that back to them and haven't heard anything more about it so far. Good thing that I keep all of the outbound waybills.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2012 04:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best create a log of sorts, but with the "Reference number" listed on your log.

This "Reference Number" is the "Print Number" of 35mm release prints.

For this number, located on the lower left of the shipping label (Example: REF # A1012, or similar) of the case when it's shipped to the respective theatre, is what Deluxe and TECH will be looking for.

And when UPS or similar sends the return label for TECH cases, the "Reference Number" is also on these return labels so labels can be attached to the proper cases. For DeLuxe, it's located on the enclosed return shipping label.

This is a good checksum to ensure that case and label matches so no print loss is eliminated when you log these reference numbers with print title and shipout date.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: