Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Super simple automation with Christie Solaria One? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super simple automation with Christie Solaria One?
Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 03:07 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only automation I need is for house lights, and I'm having a tough time justifying both the cost and the learning curve for a simple 4 scene controller. Any ideas? Right now the best I've come up with is the jnior automation with Tec8112 dimmer. With our theatres changing over to dimmable fluorescent bulbs, and fairly small houses, what else could we do cheaper and easier? There isn't a GPIO on the Solaria One, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-08-2013 03:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are spending that much, please consider LED bulbs: use old fixtures and if you have them, the old dimmers will work, too. Louis

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 06:12 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are testing the dimmable led bulbs now, Louis. And the Tec8112 units are what's existing in our Kendig theatre now. The jnior is possible to use, but I have no idea how to program it to work with the Christie sms/imb. I figure I can get someone to help with that part, but it does seem totally overblown for a simple 4 wire control system to me.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-08-2013 06:48 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried a dimmable fluorescent bulb a few years ago with the idea of putting them in my auditorium but I discovered that once you dim them to a certain point (which isn't all that dim) they start to flash on and off. So the one that I tried was totally unsuitable for my application.

I've never tried a dimmable LED bulb.

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 07:43 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll find the newer ones don't do that. We have them in several auditoriums now, and continue to use them as replacements as traditional one burn out.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-09-2013 08:11 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronda - getting jnior and associated gear to work is not exactly your job as an operator. While the technically skilled are certainly able to do it on their own, the learning curve is just too steep. Get someone in with the necessary knowledge.

Replacing lights from a classic 'lights down' auditorium into modern CFL/LED based fixtures is not easy. Probably the cheapest way to do this is through DMX, which is a well established light control protocol broadly used in the stage/theater area.

There are network/ethernet DMX bridges available that will let you control all sorts of light equipment through the Christie IMS Playlist feature. The Jnior is a generic automation device and COULD be used in conjunction with other interfaces.

Again, get someone in with a good understanding of this.

Classic dimmers will not work with LED or flurorescent lights, at least not 'nicely', that is, cold from 0% to 100%.

For now, we keep our classic motor dimmers and use high-voltage tungsten bulbs. They give a very nice light, save some energy compared to the old simple bulbs.
Plus - they last longer (even more when always brought up through the dimmer).

We use fluorescent and LED in areas where they do not need to be dimmed.

LED certainly has a bright future. But there is not enough standards yet as far as form, light colour, brightness and other parameters go. Good for special light design, etc, but not yet for general lighting.

- Carsten

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2013 01:16 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Carsten,

I've been researching the DMX lighting systems to see if I can do a conversion for about the price of traditional automation. It makes sense to me to do what we can to save money in operations, and to reduce our footprint. Good to know there are commands through the Christie system available. I wasn't able to locate a source of info on this. Might I ask where you found it?

I'm the owner, not an operator per se, and I'm fairly technically inclined. While I'm always happy to hire help in situations that require expertise, it's been my experience that my understanding deeply the issues and choices involved help to create long term solutions that work for everyone.

Usually, I know just enough to be dangerous [Smile] Sometimes, I can help a staff member save a show or fix something. Mostly, I help them figure out who to call when it could be one of several issues.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-09-2013 03:09 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronda, most 'classic' servers have a set of GPIO/relay contacts which can be used to control curtains, masking, lights. On the Christie IMS, there is not enough space on the board, and Christie also probably wanted to keep direkt GPIO away from their IMS.

So, networked control interfaces are your only option. The Christie IMS allows you to setup playlist macro cues that may contain the sending of commands over ethernet. It's more or less the same as used e.g. on a Doremi server.

For more infos, have a look at the Christie IMB integration guide:

http://www.christiedigital.com/SupportDocs/Anonymous/020-100962-02-Christie-LIT-GUID-INTEG-Christie-IMB.pdf

A Jnior is certainly a good starting point to gain some experience. If your dimmer can be controlled by simple relay/button contacts, the Jnior will do.

A networked control interface has another benefit compared to a server integrated GPIO - it can be controlled even when the server is powered down. It can be controlled from multiple sources on the same network. E.g. a single Jnior could be controlled from multiple Christie IMS'. Or, in addition to an IMS, you can issue commands for light, etc. from another plain PC on the network, tablet, smartphone, etc.

- Carsten

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-09-2013 07:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume the jnior is supported by the christie i would be suprised if it wasnt the TEC8112 will upport 3 preset levels and a down level (essentially off) by momentatry pulses to ground
The dimmer works well with certain CFL and some of the led modules if powered by a magnetic transformer not a solid state one

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like someone said if you are using some D-cinema server you can use their GIPO to trigger jnior. I can help you regarding this if you are using Doremi servers (DCP 2k4, DCP 2000 or ShowVault) with jnior libraries and setup.

According to the dimming. LED's need PWM devices or DALI to make them dimmable while fluo tubes need something similar. Also don't forget that jnior (i have jnior 310) have relay outputs which are basically on/off switches so if you are planing to use this you must have different inputs for light levels at, let's call it "dimmer control".

Maybe you should consider next combo:
LED DALI dimmer + 4DIN/4DOUT PLC with analog 0..10V output module (to drive PWM/dimmer) + jnior. Est. price for this combo will range from 150-200 euros for PLC + High-Power LED dimmer to... (sky/wallet is the limit [Smile] ) including setup and programming.

BR Alexander

Ronda Fitzsimmons
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2013 06:13 PM      Profile for Ronda Fitzsimmons   Author's Homepage   Email Ronda Fitzsimmons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gorden, your in Toronto? Pop over and ask them, would you? lol

I thought the Tec has both a mag and a solid state controller for whatever your needs... I'll have to check to be sure ours do. I'll ask the manager how the dimmable led she just installed is working too.

Alek, I'll start reading up on your suggestions. Sounds like lots of opportunity for failure to me. Have you seen the Opto22 modules. Is this along the lines of what you are talking about? I was thinking of using these in place of the jnior, not in addition to though.

No one knows of a cheap simple 4 wire 12V output pulse to ground controlled by ethernet hookup/commands? Sigh... too much to ask for I guess... Thanks for the suggestions, fellows.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-14-2013 07:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JNIOR IS the "cheap" Ethernet to contact closure automation. If it was much cheaper than that, there would be little point of manufacturing it since one could not make any money. In fact, the JNIOR has kept other automation companies at bay due them dropping the bottom out of the automation market.

Another factor in there is that the non-S2K projector (all there was up until the last couple of months) had GPIO terminals plus the servers also have GPIO terminals...some (e.g. Dolby) have real relays on them for isolation...so they had a "free" degree of light control.

I think you'll find that the JNIOR is the lowest cost of DCinema automation out there...to do it less will require more of a home-made approach.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-15-2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep - e.g. the Doremi IMS for Barco and NEC S2k still has discrete GPIO on the server. Only the Christie IMS lacks them.

There are other Ethernet-IO converters available, some also cheaper than the JNIOR, but as Steve said, the JNIOR is the defacto standard in digital cinema, most manuals deal with them, most servers have presets/libraries for them, so, go with it.

You may be able to make a deal on ebay or elsewhere. These are not only sold into the cinema business.

And as I said, it may be possible to control multiple screens with just one Jnior, as long as you only need dimmer switching.

- Carsten

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2013 12:25 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Main problem regarding this is that Ronda needs 4 swichable scenes which can be achieved only with 0-10V PWM device to drive LEDs but for this some device must be put between jnior and PWM driver to "translate" relay outputs to analog voltage. Like i said for this purpose small 4DI/4DO PLC with analog module can be used.

I am using this solution in one of our cinemas to switch between scenes. Old lighting is thyristor based & i was forced to find some fast solution during conversion process to d-cinema. Some of PLC's has serial port which can accept raw serial commands so there is no need for middle-ware. This solution cost me 150 euros per cinema (900 euros for 6 room multiplex).

Try to find something like this and i will be glad to help you with configuration and implementation.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-22-2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Ronda probably concerns is the cost for 6 JNIOR devices on top of her dimmers for 6 screens.

First of all, one JNIOR can control multiple screens, if the wiring is there from one JNIOR to multiple dimmers.

Second, there are of course much cheaper ethernet or TCP/IP - relay controllers. The JNIOR is just the defacto standard in cinemas and usually supported by every server.
Although they all usually work as a RAW device by using IP adress and port number, it is not said that every device works from the Christie SPL interface. Plus, the lower the cost, the more complicated to set them up for the average projectionist. I you find a local wizard to help you with it, it could come out a lot cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ethernet+relay&_sacat=0&_from=R40

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: