Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » UK Adverts from P&D -half are in smaller resolution - issues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: UK Adverts from P&D -half are in smaller resolution - issues
Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2013 07:40 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else in the UK who receives P&D adverts on DCP noticing that about 50% of the ads look like they are in 1920x1080 resolution rather than the full 1998x1080 2k resolution?

We have adjustable side masking and have to leave it in Flat for the duration of the adverts as the lower resolution ones are not all in one "block"

I prefer to have super accurate masking, right up to the edge of the picture, and it bugs the hell out of me that these lower res adverts leave blank screen either side. And for me this is unacceptable as my ratios are very carefully zoomed and cropped to "hide" the keystoning - so these lower res adverts have slightly angled edges.

Really my question is thus:

is it possible to create another lens / screen file, with a little more zoom (to fill the screen with these ads) and have it available as a cue on our DSS200 ?

EDIT - should add we have a series 2 barco, and a DSS200 running 4.5.4(1)

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-03-2013 10:29 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you can - incl. trapez masking. Check wether you have sufficient user access level for the Barco to create your own formats. Do you have a manual for the BARCO communicator software?

- Carsten

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2013 07:57 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a case of creating new lens and screen files and assigning them to a new macro?

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2013 12:20 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes.

on the barco open a flat lens file, zoom it out, focus it, save as new lens file, then do the same with the screen file.

then save a new Preset macro with new lens/screen files.

I don't know how dolby handles the presets (based on name or position number), but getting it done should probably be no problem.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-04-2013 12:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can indeed but do you really want to crop your adverts top and bottom? Considering that sometimes the words "safe margins" are unknown to most, I would think again about it.

That said, you can create a new screen and lens file and assign it to a different macro.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2013 01:23 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
marco - I only need a couple of inches either side really of extra zoom, not a massive amount or anything.

Thanks for the help everyone [Smile]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-04-2013 02:10 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you create a scaled macro? That would leave the lens where it is, the switch would be almost instantaneous.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2013 05:10 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the idea Marco I hadn't thought of that. But.....isn't scaling disallowed bythe dci spec?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-05-2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the DCI police doing an inspection. Once we had to ensure a TMS rack doors could be closed and locked, but I've never has them check the image was 100% compliant - many are not because of keystoning and such.
Anyway, ads will not be subject to DCI rules anyway.
What do you do with flat-in-scope trailers? These must show the trapezoidal keystoning too.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-05-2013 11:03 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it? Not sure whether cropping is allowed though! [Smile]
I would never scale a feature but - particularly with slow and old series 1 - it may be a good idea to have a scaled macro for some trailers and adverts. It saves your lens and takes a second.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2013 11:32 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of interest, how are adverts delivered now? They were still on film when I last projected, some time after most features were digital.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-05-2013 12:36 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a CD/DVD or a USB stick here in Canada.
Scaling is not allowed under DCI specs. There are cropping limits as well, I don't remember exactly how many pixels are allowed off sides and top of the image container. I can't say I care much anyway, the customers sometimes want something I know is out-of-spec but they get what they want (within reason).

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2013 12:58 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - all the scope-trailers-in-flat I have encountered so far almost fill to the sides, again only about 2 inches of black on the sides. We always play the trailers in flat, since they are all labelled as flat (so far) Our keystoning issues are only really visible on the sides, the top and bottoms are straight as far as I can tell eyeballing it

Stephen - The P&D adverts are now sent out on a CRU drive, Dolby masters and ships them on behalf of P&D

As for our keystoning, it isnt very much, probably about 3 pixel widths difference on the sides. Im just trying to make as professional a presentation as possible with the equipment i have.

We are so old-school our side masking is manual [Frown]

We have to change it before each screening to match the feature being played, so if the feature is scope the ads/trailers have a lot of black on the sides. This is primarily the reason i want to find a solution for scaling / getting rid of the side black on the adverts(in flat) as the "unused" pixels are still a little brighter than the blank screen. It just looks yucky. I doubt our customers either notice or care, but i do.

Oh, how i wish we had automagical motorised masking [Frown]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-06-2013 11:24 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your setup sounds similar to mine -- DSS200 and Barco DP2K-32B.

The DSS200 only "sees" the first 14 presets on the Barco, so I assigned the relevant ones to fit within that range. Otherwise, it's not possible to use the DSS200 to automate the preset change.

My Barco has hard buttons on the projector for the first 6 presets, so 1-6 are populated with the most common formats, and 7-13 are assigned to those that are less-commonly used.

Preset 14 -- the last one that the DSS200 will "see" -- is a "wild" preset, for material that can't be handled by the first 13 presets. Basically, it entails re-assigning the lens, screen and LSC files.

(Maintaining a constant name for that preset -- "DCP Variable" -- means I don't have to reboot the DSS200 to force it to recognize and update the name of the new preset.)

For ads, I would avoid using the lens to zoom the image, because that means having to build in a few seconds of black each time to hide the zoom, and I just hate having more than one "black patch" in a pre-show.

But, more importantly, every time you disturb the lens, you risk losing focus. I know this stuff is supposed to work perfectly but, in reality, my Barco needs lens recalibration about every 2 weeks. So, I'm not going to tempt fate unnecessarily by increasing the number of lens operations that happen in a single screening. It would be just my luck that the ads will look great, and feature will end up out of focus. That is Murphy's Law.

So, instead, I would create a few presets that contain just the screen files, to conceal the keystoning. For example, initialize with the "complete" 1.85 preset, and then use the "screen only" presets when jumping around between aspect ratios. I don't lose sleep over ads that don't fit the screen completely.

I haven't played around with scaling but, if it changes instantaneously, you could add that to your "quick change" presets. But, personally, I would avoid scaling in this case, because it will mean cropping. I'm okay with letterboxing and pillarboxing for ads and previews. To reiterate, it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over; there are too many more-important things on the radar.

Let Pearl & Dean see that their ads don't fill the screen. If they want full-screen ads, they need to make full-screen ads. This isn't exactly their first day at the rodeo. If you make up for their shortcomings, then you are part of your own problem.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2013 12:48 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny - sound advice, thank you.

Im not sure how the adverts work in the US, but P&Ds over here are one "block" in the playlist. They are not added individually, so working out the proper times to add screen file change cues would be a full time job in itself - we get new adverts every week and different ones for different films, all in one contigious "block" in the playlist.

Perhaps i am being too picky and should just forget about trying to find a catch-all solution to this silly issue. You would think Dolby, who master and distribute these adverts would know better, but evidently not.

Thankyou everyone for the advice [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: