Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Green lines with NC2000 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Green lines with NC2000
Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2013 07:21 PM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. An NC2000 started projecting some horizontal red lines, changing them to green ones, and growing to complete the entire screen.
Do you have any suggestion about the problem?
Giorgio

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-11-2013 09:23 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a failure in the light engine.
You can try a few things - reseat the circuit boards, reseat the light engine - there are a LOT of connections and many of them are critical, corrosion takes its toll after a few years and reseating does wonders.
But... in my experience this kind of problem means a new light engine: it pretty much points to a failure in the formatters or the DMDs.
Call NEC tech support and ask for their opinion?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-12-2013 05:39 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can try reseating the big light engine connector. It's a delicate connector, ask NEC for the procedure. But I wouldn't expect only one colour to be affected to be honest.

As Dave suggested, reseat the boards.

Also, run some test patterns. Colour calibration test patterns are generate on the formatters themselves. If the lines are still present, the issue is on the formatters. If they go away, you can try other tests patterns, which are generated on the ICP. If lines are there, the ICP or a connection is bad. If they're not there, the issue is on the HDSDI/Enigma or the backplane.

On a Barco you can generate patterns on the HDSDI board as well, I don't know on a NEC.

Are the lines on screen with any input or only using a specific one? Do they also show up with no signal applied?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this issue once. If this is something that changes as the projector warms up then check the torque of the screws holding the formatter board to the DMD's. There are not sockets per say for the DMD's but the pins are simply made by contact against the board. All projectors connect the formatter to the DMD's this way. I recomend torquing them down to the specs shown in the NEC manual with the appropriate torque driver kit. I didn't have to pull the engine to fix the one shown but if it's the lower DMD you may have to. This issue could happen in either the horizontal or vertical plane too! This one also cleared itself faithfully each time up after about 20 minutes. Retorquing the green DMD cured this one.

Be VERY careful with the large plug that goes from the light engine to the card cage!!!! Pins bend easily. I believe if you do bunger one up that the pins can be individually replaced though.
 -

Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot to all of you.
This morning I could check the projector, and see that the problem is only with red color. The other two colors are Ok. I checked all connector, including the big one, but nothing changed. So, the problem is the light engine, specifically the red board.
This is the white test as is projected.
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2013 03:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you showing any errors? Also, Have you tried swapping the ICP out?

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is the projector? I had this same issue happen about 6 times on NC1200 units over the past year. NEC sent me a replacement prism assembly every time this happened. Contact your dealer.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-13-2013 04:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend opening the big light engine connector and swapping Red with Green (two connectors each, need to have small hands!) and see if the issue stays on RED or goes on GREEN. Then you know where you problem is.

Reseat the connectors on the formatters as well.

As usual, do the above at your own risk and only if you know what you're doing.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2013 12:56 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the projector is still under warranty? As it is most probably a formatter board failure it is likely a warrantable repair, so best to go down that course of action first...

Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2013 02:46 PM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
The problem is the light engine!
It was changed with another one were we have a 35mm working, waiting for the replacement.
Thanks a lot to everyone of you!
Giorgio.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2013 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Formatter boards CAN be changed in the field on NEC series 2 pretty easily... But if it's in warranty then let them worry about it.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-20-2016 01:53 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1101 days since the last post.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2016 01:53 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the light engine need to be fully removed to change a formatter board?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! If you remove the formatter while its in the projector some of the gold contact pins might (likely will!) fall out.... Its best to have that board facing up at you on a carpeted bench so when you remove it the pins stay in place, and the ones that won't then fall on the carpet and don't continue on to the floor. Handle those with a tweezers so as not to contaminate them. There is also a correct torque setting for the screws that hold it to the DMD socket. While I even have the special tools to torque them properly I have forgotten what the setting is supposed to be. I will have to go back and look in my emails...

I am doing a write up on disassembling and cleaning NEC light engines. NC-1200/NC-2000 and NC-900 will be covered. The NC-900 light engine is way easier to clean by the way, it does involve drilling a hole and reaming it for a dowel pin then pressing in the pin before taking it apart. Then it all goes back together exactly where it was in the beginning.

Mark

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2016 05:54 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any advice for changing the board beyond that? I have replaced the entire prism assembly many times before, just never an individual formatter board. I will be receiving the new red board in the morning and will be replacing for the first time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: