Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCI Classic Transfers Good and Bad

Author Topic: DCI Classic Transfers Good and Bad
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-05-2014 10:44 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had several threads about the quality of DCI transfers of classics and rep, hoping we can create one for those of us running classics on digital can reference.

My starter: In The Heat of the Night. Looks like a bad DVD (not blu-ray) source. Color fringing on all of the high contrast areas (like white collar on Sidney Portier's skin). Smudgy resolution. Even has jump and weave. Even without my glasses, I can see artifacts. The whole thing looks like it was over sharpened in Photoshop.

FWIW, tried to get the 35mm print, but was told it was in bad condition.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-05-2014 06:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2001: A Space Odyssey was a disappointment. VERY noticeably compressed. It's a do-over.

In fact, all of the 70mm to DCP's (even the "good" ones) are do-overs if they aren't full width. This business of formatting them inside 1.85 and 16x9 makes no sense to me.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-06-2014 07:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4K DCP of Lawrence of Arabia is garbage...bad image artifacts and the sound is none too good either.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2014 12:18 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCP of The Blues Brothers which was in 2 channel stereo sounded awful.I hear they made a new one but I was sent the old version even after the new version was created.
It was labelled 5.1.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-06-2014 05:32 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. We also had this discussion about how mono sound and 4.0 mixes were improperly handled. Especially by Universal.

Basically they gave us dual mono and Lt/Rt instead of discrete tracks.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 04:39 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this considered a "classic?"

The 2K 5.1 DCP of "Fight Club" from FOX is a beautiful transfer. No reduction in noise or grain... this is the best I've ever seen this movie look. [beer]

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2014 02:20 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently ran a minty 35mm print of Fight Club. It's a very good looking film from a time possibly pre 2k DI becoming prevalent.
Training Day is another example. It looks amazing in 35mm.

At the time they came out I made mental notes about them looking good but now I watch them projected and think they look bloody amazing!
As if I had taken that kind of picture quality for granted at the time.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-21-2014 04:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fight Club was released in late 1999, a year before O Brother, Where Art Thou? became the first Hollywood studio release to put the entire movie through a digital intermediate process.

Fight Club had some memorable computer based effects sequences. Those sequences had to be grafted into otherwise old school analog color timed pieces of film. This made color control in the post production work flow very important and arguably more challenging than it is in an all digital DI-only pipeline.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: