Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » New software update on old doremi server (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New software update on old doremi server
Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 09:23 AM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again

Following troubles I had recently with ingesting from ext3 formated disks, I'm now looking into updating our server.

It's a used one we recently got, and it hasn't been updated in years. So my question is if me updating the software on it can cause any problems? I've been hesitant about doing it, I've heard of people having trouble after doing it.
When I say years I mean it's back to like 1.2.? something, don't quite remember.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 02:53 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upgrading the software to the last version should be ok - may need to check if you have a 1GB or 2GB SSD card, if not mistaken latest versions require a 2GB card.
Maybe, to be on the safe side, you want to go to version 2.0 first and then move to the latest one.

Beware on the Dolphin and SM (if available) firmware versions though, you'll have to check the Dolphin version and/or projector capabilities.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 03:07 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These projector/server software versions worry me. I had been wanting to move our DCP-2000s to the latest software version with the interval feature, which would be useful when we have breaks in some old classic film titles; however with my now "vintage" CP2000SB series 1s, I'm not sure if this is safe to do. I think its a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 03:25 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas:What projector do you have? S1 or S2, what interface card if S1?
Steve: The intermission feature is in the Doremi software. It's the Doremi firmware and SM that would cause trouble with an S1 projector, but ask Doremi/Dolby about what exact versions you should use: more current software might need some features of the more current firmware+SM. If your SB has a current "DCI" interface card ("Gore Board"), there are no restrictions. You should test TLS somehow before committing though - there were some buggy early DCI boards that you can't count on: if TLS has never been used on one, it should be confirmed as working.
If you have a card that does not support TLS then you must not upgrade past a certain SM and firmware - once you install DCI compliant versions, the server can not be reverted to non-DCI compliant versions, and your choices are 1) close or 2) buy the $4000.00 card.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 05:39 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you jump over so many versions, I suggest you let an experienced tech do the upgrade, and discuss these two aspects explicitly with him - huge leap in server software version number, and series-I projector. Have a look at Doremis release history document as well yourself. It has passages on the series I/II issue and how to go from old to new releases properly.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 06:52 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I've never believed in the say you mentioned. It all depends on the "broken" definition. Do you need to wait for a cancelled show to consider software upgrade? Or maybe some content which does not load (as Andreas experienced?) to then risk the upgrade yourself or rush a technician in?
You don't want to rush the latest version of course, but routine upgrades are part of the game.

Re. Doremi, there is no harm in upgrading the SW. Checks have to be done before upgrading the decoder though (the Dolphin board).

Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 08:23 AM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a barco dp100 from 2004, early s1. When we've had techs here they say it's one of the oldest they've seen still in use. Don't know what interface card, probably also the oldest you could find.

It's probably a 1GB SSD card, which will have to be upgraded for it to work with newer software. Had the same problem when our other doremi broke down 2 years ago. Couldn't upgrade it with the old SSD card.

Right now I'm starting to think about how much money we should sink into this. Been asking for new equipment for years now. But it's a small art house cinema=no money.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 09:07 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, it gets a bit complicated.
What Dolphin board do you have? If it has 4 BNC connectors then wow! it's really old. 2 BNC and a "DVI" (actually GPIO) and it's either somewhat old, or the current encapsulated (black epoxy block covering the components) version.
If you had it maintained, the Dolphin should have been upgraded to at least the dual BNC unencapsulated version.
Assume you have a very early TI interface board, unless you upgraded the projector for triple flash 3D (was that even possible though?),
You will need the boot flash upgrade to use current software - but that's not a huge investment, and may have been done already? The server should have had the "thermal upgrade" as well, but the service history is unknown - again, was it maintained over the years?
If you pull a server diags package and upload it to http://loganalyser.doremitechno.org/index.php/upload you will get back a pretty reliable list of what you have and some suggestions for updates. You will also see a LOT of errors listed as well, probably these will be old and unimportant so don't fret too much - the error logs go back basically forever and some things logged are trivial.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 09:34 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Dave said - and if memory serves - the DCI and Thermal upgrade were FOC. The old Intel SSD should have been replaced as well.
Are your HDDs installed horizontally or vertically? Do you have a CD-ROM installed?
If your server has not been upgraded, it may not be worth at this stage.

I also agree that replacing the SSD and upgrade is not going to be a massive expenditure. You could have that done when your Barco is serviced.

To be honest, I expect your service engineers to have mentioned a software upgrade in the past. Leave a Doremi to version 1.x is just asking for trouble (see one of the many threads: "why should I upgrade the software"). You don't need the very last version but maybe at least a 2.x!

Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's got 2 BNC, unencapsulated, and a GPIO. No record of maintenance as far as I know.
Horizontally installed HDDs, no CD-rom.

When we had the SSD update on the other server done a few years ago we had to send it away, but hopefully we can get a tech to do it on site.

On our other server the software is 2.2.?, but still it couldn't read the ext3 disk. Does it need newer for that? Will upgrade this server with the latest software tomorrow, as long as it won't cause any problems with the s1 projector we got there, a nec nc1500, which is horrible btw.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-30-2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The horizontally installed HDDs tells us that you did not have the chassis upgrade (I believe it was to improve HDDs reliability, anti-vibration grommets were added).

But at least the Dolphin card is not the 1.0. If under ABOUT you have a "SM" version, then it's a 1.2, otherwise it's a 1.0.

If you are on 2.2.x, then you're not too far away, I thought you mentioned 1.x?

I can't find any reference to any EXT FS on the release notes.

Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 01:37 PM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 2 screens. On the new, second hand, doremi the software is 1.2.1, and on our second doremi it's 2.2.x.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2014 03:50 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is on 2.4.2-0 with SM version 2.0.15-0 so possibly not that old! It was updated around 2 years ago, I believe!

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2014 06:23 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Open "About" in the start menu. If you have a listing for SM version, the server has a Dolphin 1.2 card, if not Dolpin 1.0. Please note that i'm talking about hardware reversions here.

Newest versions:

SW: 2.6.4 (all version, but you do need 2GB SSD)
FW Dolpin 1.0 : 21.4n (please note that Dolpin 1.0 in non CTP)
FW Dolpin 1.2 : 21.02k (no CTP) or 21.03w
SM Dolpin 1.0 : No Security Manager on 1.0
SM Dolpin 1.2 : 2.0.17

Mandatory hotfixes for all DCP2000's with Dolpin:

Sensors_HF
Content-Mgr_HF
Ingestc_corruption_HF
Audio_Mute_HF

Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2014 07:30 AM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No SM version as far as I can tell. So it seems it needs a major update by a tech.

But on to our other server, the more updated one, now with 2.4.2 software. I'm a bit hesitant with firmware update, because I read this when I ran a report through the log analyser:

"Series 1 PJ are not supported with this FW release. It is recommended to that if the PJ is a series 1, not to upgrade.
SM 2.0.15 does support series 1 PJ with DCASM support inconjunction with FW 21.3w"

This is what I get in the log analyser:

Server Version

Software version: 2.4.2-0
SM version: 2.0.15-0
Uboot: 2.0.7-0
Kernel: 1.8.3-0
KernelRescue: 1.8.3-3
Ramdisk: 2.0.15-0
RamdiskRescue: 2.0.14-3
Firmware version: 21.3r

So am I limited by our s1 projectors when it comes to updating our servers?

As if this isn't enough I now found out that our barco has decided to forget some macros. Great.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: