Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Unencrypted features? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Unencrypted features?
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 08:42 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few unencrypted feature DCPs recently - the only current one I can name is "Black or White" but I have noticed a few others. What gives?

|  IP: Logged

Edgar Prass
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 08:54 AM      Profile for Edgar Prass   Email Edgar Prass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around here all local (Estonian made) features come unencrypted. With foreign features it's about 50/50.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 09:07 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many independent releases come unencrypted. I've yet to see a major unencrypted Hollywood feature tough.

I guess those independent operations don't want to get stuck in KDM hell. The added overhead of KDM delivery and support probably doesn't outweigh the potential damage of someone ripping the feature.

Also, if a feature is already out on Blu-Ray, why would you even consider putting it under all kinds of artificial locks anyway? Anybody who wants a high quality copy can just rip the Blu-Ray...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-05-2015 11:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Also, if a feature is already out on Blu-Ray, why would you even consider putting it under all kinds of artificial locks anyway? Anybody who wants a high quality copy can just rip the Blu-Ray...
I've never understood this for even major studio's repertory releases. They aren't protecting a damn thing, yet they are creating additional unnecessary expense to make the KDMs and hassle for everyone involved.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Encryption doesn't make it impossible to copy it makes it more difficult. I don't believe most content theft happens at theaters anyway, don't think it was every a big problem in the theater that projectionist were stealing content.

That is just my opinion and it could differ from yours. I have been in the business since 1972 and I was 17 years old. I have never seen anyone make copies or allow a print to be taken for that purpose.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-05-2015 01:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now people are just hopping on "Popcorn Time." Apparently that torrent application is sapping enough Internet bandwidth that Netflix' CEO is even concerned about it.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad; it makes no sense. I understand some of the early repertory / restoration releases didn't bother with encryption but now the tide has swung the other way for the major studios. It's stupid as there is zero gain. These movies are invariably available on BD so any theatre that wanted to run an unlicensed show would just run the BD and the quality would be good enough few would even suspect. So what has encryption prevented? Nothing.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 06:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
Encryption doesn't make it impossible to copy it makes it more difficult. I don't believe most content theft happens at theaters anyway, don't think it was every a big problem in the theater that projectionist were stealing content.
I'm not aware of anyone having successfully cracked the encryption on a DCP, but that's not to say that it hasn't been done.

In the US, some arthouse and rerelease distributors (Alamo Drafthouse and Kino Lorber come to mind) appear to have a policy of not encrypting their DCPs; probably because their value to IP thieves is next to zero. Anyone who wants to watch the type of movie they distribute is probably willing to pay to do so anyway, and not know how to obtain it illegally in any case. I'm guessing that their thought process is: why incur the trouble and expense of generating and providing KDMs if the amount of revenue they would protect is lower?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-06-2015 04:36 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few of the smaller distributors do the DCP handling and shipping on their own. While it's easy to create an encrypted DCP, the tools and labor to handle certificate databases for all the cinemas they serve is just to much cost and work. The larger service companies spend considerable efforts in maintaining these databases, and they want to be paid for it, so, sending out an encrypted DCP + KDM service is simply more expensive per copy/DCP shipment. For the larger studios' rep titles - what gives, they have outline agreements with the service companies, issuing unencrypted DCPs simply is no option for them, they certainly do not think about this on a per-title basis.

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-09-2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had four since re-opening in March:

Stop the Pounding Heart
Wakolda
The Beat Beneath my Feet
The 78 project Movie

That's probably about 10%, maybe slightly less, of the features we have screened in that time.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2015 08:43 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying that encryption is broken. What I was meaning to say, albeit it poorly, doesn't happen at the theater by the projection or staff. It might happen in the theater with a handheld camera but most often it happens prior to leaving the care of the studio or lab.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far in the shorter than normal summer season I have already screened 3 unencrypted features with the 4th coming up next week and the last movie of the season I am also guessing will be the same..NO KDM needed.
Took me a while to find just where the info is held re whether a title needs a KDM or not..."Properties" of the movie reveal all.
The first one threw me a bit when NO KDM arrived in the days prior to screening and the distributor responded to my NO KDM query as it was not needed.
The Locked and Unlocked symbol on the title once loaded into server is another clue.
In all cases these are small indie distributors who are not overly paranoid about security & wish to prune costs back. Obviously they trust exhibitors to do the right thing [Big Grin]

All these "new" things keeps the grey matter ticking over which is not a bad thing at all.
AND is one more item to note when training a newbie which I am right now. [Smile]

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2015 04:33 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as an arthouse we get a fair amount of unencrypted DCPs from European film companies and small distributors. However, the Hollywood big guns continue to encrypt everything.

Over our Christmas period we played E.T. for the kids shows. A film that is probably on millions of DVDs and old VHS tapes around the world, and is probably played on TV at least a few times a year. Guess what - encrypted and required a KDM and it was timed to the minute of the first play to the last play. Frankly, stupid.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-13-2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hollywood big guns just have a system, and stick to it for everything. Even relatively obscure and decades old studio pics come encrypted. Examples I've had recently include Lost Horizon and Harold and Maude.

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2015 07:17 AM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havenīt seen any torrents that arenīt a bluray/dvd rip.
Have never found a DCPrip or something like that. I assume no one is riping DCPs...Even if they are they are not sharing.
So yea...Kdms are an unnecessary extra problem

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: