Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Playstation connectivity

Author Topic: Playstation connectivity
Allan Riddelll
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2015 03:22 PM      Profile for Allan Riddelll   Email Allan Riddelll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next month we are having a playstation tournament in one of our cinemas. As this is relatively new to me some help on connectivity would come in useful.

At present the Playstation console was connected to our Kramer scaler (HDMI to HDMI) which in turn was fed to our Barco DP2K projector with excellent results. However as there was no sound as yet, I figured that the console should be connected separately from the Playstation to the Non-Sync inputs on our Sony D3000 processor (which we use for our normal Digital presentations for DVD advertising).

Any comments would be most welcome (our other cinemas are equipped with normal Dolby CP 750s which would no doubt be on the same principle).

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-09-2015 03:52 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a PS3 you're using, make sure you configure to output only 720p. The device can do 1080i and 1080p, but most games won't support it. The result will be constant resolution switching, which can be challenging for your setup.

For audio connectivity I would choose the Toslink on the PS3 to your CP750. Make sure you configure the PlayStation to only send Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2CH LPCM, as this is practically the only thing this interface will handle. This way, you can benefit from the surround capabilities of the game console.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-09-2015 07:32 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony DFP-D3000 is probably not the best option, but of course you could connect analog stereo audio from the PS3 AV MultiOut to the DFP-D3000 non-sync input.

For the CP750, as Marcel wrote, Toslink is the best option.

- Carsten

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2015 05:33 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we hold gaming events regularly at our place. the best and least hassle setup for anything via HDMI I have found is to put it through a HDMI audio splitter. HDMI>DVI then goes off to a projector input, Optical audio goes straight into the cp750.

The particular converter we use can also convert any incoming audio format into bitstream 5.1 which the CP750 accepts without hassle.

It is much much simpler than faffing with scalers and audio settings on each and every device I want to link up.

The converter itself is a small powered black box and gives me a convienient always-in-place outward facing HDMI port next to the rack. never have to fiddle with cables again!

it works flawlessly with a PS3, PS4, Xbone and XBox360, laptops, macbooks, etc etc

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-10-2015 06:39 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get a proper HDMI<->DVI/Audio splitter that supports a boatload of input formats and can convert it to a Dolby AC3 bitstream, within your budget and time constrains then I would go for it as it indeed solves many of those format compatibility headaches.

Maybe you can tell us the make and model of your exact box? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: