Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » SSD drives in Doremi DCP2000 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: SSD drives in Doremi DCP2000
Marilu Magri
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2016 05:42 PM      Profile for Marilu Magri   Email Marilu Magri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, are there any SSD's known to work reliably with a Doremi DCP 2000 server? This is for occasional touring use so long-term continuous uptime is not an issue but shock-resistance is! Server is currently being used for a 2 hour show in a different location each day and we are concerned about the drives surviving being bashed into and out a van etc.
Thank you! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing approved officially. I've found all software raid servers are VERY finicky about their drives.

If you MUST have SSD drives, pick up a used Dolby DSS200. That thing is bulletproof no matter what kind of drives you put in it.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-13-2016 08:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would try it. The Dolby/Doremi original drive warranty will, of course, be invalid and if something goes really bad Dolby might cancel the entire server warranty. THey will know - the drive type will be in the logs, and you will probably get three "unsupported drive" warnings every time you boot up.
I believe it should work, but I have seen some spinning rust drives just rejected by a Doremi server - not even found.
It would be fun to see how fast the RAID setup goes with SSDs.
I have been sticking with Intel SSDs for projects that use them, they aren't the bleeding-edge fastest but are very reliable in my experience.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-13-2016 08:59 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that would make me reluctant to try SSDs in a DCP server is that I'm guessing that the RAID controller (be that software or hardware) will be constantly shuffling data around to make optimum use of the space and minimize seek time, etc. The main determinant of a "spinning rust" HDD's lifetime is hours and spin up/spin down cycles. For an SSD, it's the number of times each sector is written. The more often you write to it, the more quickly you'll wear it out. The desktop operating systems (e.g. Windows and Mac OS) know this, and will not automatically defrag a SSD in the way that they will a traditional hard drive.

But RAID controllers are probably not designed with SSDs in mind: the point of a RAID is storage volume and data security, not speed of access and ruggedness, which are the two main reasons for using a SSD. So even if a DCP server's RAID controller would work with SSDs, I'd speculate that the risk is there that it would burn them out very quickly.

If I were operating a mobile DCP server in a portable rig, I think I'd be inclined to carry one or two spare hard drives around with me in the accessories case, and swap one in and rebuild the RAID in the event that one did not survive transit.

Marilu Magri
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2016 12:50 PM      Profile for Marilu Magri   Email Marilu Magri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the input and ideas. As an alternative to SSD's, would a good alternative be to remove the raid drives and transport them in a padded container and then re-fit them at the show?
The reason I'm concerned about the drives is that at the last show there was no content visible at all on the first boot - literally nothing except the option to insert 'black' clips. As you can imagine this was a bit of a heart-stopper but a reboot cleared the problem.
I thought this could be a problem with the raid but then again on further thought perhaps the OS flash drive (which stores the playlists etc) could be flaky. This server has always been a little erratic with boot-up so could even be the mainboard. I have a spare mainboard but am a little reluctant to fiddle with things until the current run is finished.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2016 02:10 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can remove and reinstall the drivers safely, obviously just don't do that while the server is powered up and make sure to label them in order to put them back up in the right order.

In an emergency I've even moved an entire 3-drive array from one DCP-2000 to another located in a different theater. No problem at all.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-14-2016 02:47 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, since they are drive carriers, it is very easy to take them out for transport. Maybe you can buy a small camera bag or something to carry them safely.

That said - if your server get's bumped around to the extent that you're concerned about the hard discs, maybe you should do something about that first, as the drives are not the only items that could suffer ;-)

BTW - I recently ordered a bare 3.5" SATA drive from Amazon. It 'bumped' into my post box with only a cardboard envelope around it. Not even 1mm of padding.
It works, but I will never order a bare drive directly from Amazon again...

- Carsten

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-14-2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the server is powered off before moving I don't see s problem with using regular hard drives. Just make sure the system is completely shut off and has had a minute or two for the platters to stop spinning before moving the unit.

However I recommend that you get a proper road case. The kind with a solid metal frame and shock mounts.mmif you got one with fans and a power distrio, you could have a completely portable unit on wheels that can be rolled into place and hooked up with a couple-three sets of cables.

The thing I recommend is a power conditioner and/or a UPS!
If you are going mobile with this system, you'll never know what kind of crappy power feeds you'll have to tie into! A good power condioner will be vital!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you power down drives the head automatically parks in a stop position and generally locks itself. Dead hard drives can take quite a bit of shock, powered up drives can not take any real shock without damaging some aspect of the drive. USL is the only server manufacturer right now that uses SSD's in their server.

On a portable system my advice is to have an extra set of hard drives already configured and built up in the same server with you in case you run into any difficulties. With a GDC server you can power down and swap sets of drives then power back up and keep going. I have done this for Film Fests. I would assume Doremi can do the same thing. If not, then you just discovered another advantage that GDC has.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-14-2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
One thing that would make me reluctant to try SSDs in a DCP server is that I'm guessing that the RAID controller (be that software or hardware) will be constantly shuffling data around to make optimum use of the space and minimize seek time, etc. The main determinant of a "spinning rust" HDD's lifetime is hours and spin up/spin down cycles. For an SSD, it's the number of times each sector is written. The more often you write to it, the more quickly you'll wear it out. The desktop operating systems (e.g. Windows and Mac OS) know this, and will not automatically defrag a SSD in the way that they will a traditional hard drive.
Well, most RAID systems do not constantly shuffle data around actually. MOST RAID systems and especially that of the average DCP server are quite dumb. If there is any shuffling, it usually takes place at the filesystem level. There are lots of (semi-)intelligent storage systems out there that do some preventive data shuffling, but they are not the ones you find in your DCI server.

Also, the kind of data you need for DCI is quite boring actually. Huge files, which usually get read and written rather sequentially. So unless you constantly ingest and play the data for like 5 screens simultaneously on the same machine, the level of fragmentation on your average DCI system is really a non-issue.

In case of SSDs, there actually is some black magic going on INSIDE the SSD itself. The controller on your SSD may remap your data as it sees fit. For example, if you keep on overwriting the same data, your SSD may start to write this data on some other physical location on the SSD itself, to keep the wear more balanced. Your RAID controller or your OS isn't even aware of this happening.

Shock resistance for hard disks actually should be a non-issue too, at least if you're not operating them while transporting them. The whole concept of DCI got started by shipping those disks around. Once your disks are in a parked state, forces that would damage the disk would also damage other parts of your equipment.

The biggest pitfall here is if you get those disks work reliably with the Doremi system. And although this is essentially a vanilla Linux software RAID solution, I'm not sure their layer around it will support it. So, you might end up with quite some hackery to get it rolling.

Another pitfall to account for is TRIM support. TRIM support is essential to avoid your SSD drives grinding down to a halt.
Although SSD drives are usually blazingly fast, one thing they're VERY slow at is erasing data. Unlike the rotating rust counterparts, SSDs cannot just overwrite data, they have to erase it first and that's a painstakingly slow process. Also, keep in mind that most delete actions aren't actual deletes, it's a mere "unlink" from the inode table. The problem with this process is that alhough your OS thinks it's "gone", the data is actually still there on your SSD.

So, once you've filled your disks to the brim at least once, you often hit this "nice" wall of total performance degradation.
That's where TRIM comes in. TRIM needs support from both your OS, your RAID and/or controller layer and your SSD. TRIM uses unspent I/O and system time to do some preventive housekeeping. Your OS tells your controller and therefore your disks what data is essentially gone. And in times of low system activity, the data gets prematurely erased by the SSDs, so once there is new data, it can be written without having to erase previously deleted data first.

Once you keep ingesting, you will hit this virtual performance rather soon, even if you keep deleting content. This "performance barrier" should not hurt playback speeds, but it will dramatically impair ingest performance and MIGHT even negatively impact system performance. So a correct working TRIM implementation is not just a nice to have for such a setup.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2016 05:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, there is no advantage to a GDC as you insinuated above. You can do the same thing with a Dolby or a Doremi as well. In fact with a Dolby server having a spare set of drives means you also get a spare OS. With the GDC and it's un-raided OS drive, you are at a higher chance of failure than any other server.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-14-2016 08:42 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marilu Magri
Thanks all for the input and ideas. As an alternative to SSD's, would a good alternative be to remove the raid drives and transport them in a padded container and then re-fit them at the show?
We have two festivals a year that are sponsored by Barco, and so we have to have a temporary loaner Barco projector shipped in for them. Boston Light and Sound takes care of the installation, operation and de-rig (hired by the fests), and they bring in a Doremi server to use with the Barco, to avoid having to reconfigure our DSS200 and provide a cat745 (and also because they can pre-ingest and test the content and KDMs, and arrive with everything ready to play).

Removing the hard drives for shipment is precisely what they do - in fact, they pack them in the same padded cardboard boxes that the drives ship from the Doremi factory in. I'm guessing that the hard drive failure rate they have from doing this is low enough for it to be a non-issue for them.

Even taking on board Marcel's belief that RAID controllers are capable of being kind to SSDs, my instinct on this is that the sheer cost of SSD storage versus spinning rust is not worth it for the ruggedness gain. And as he points out, probably around 99% of DCPs are shipped in traditional hard drives in padded boxes. In almost two years since I re-entered the cinema biz working in a DCP environment, I can only recall two DCP drives DOA (due to "click of death" drive failure) in all of that time, and both of those were 2.5" consumer drives still in their consumer retail packaging, not CRU drives in properly designed shipping containers.

Marilu Magri
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Marilu Magri   Email Marilu Magri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all really great info thanks!
Does anybody have any idea why no content would show-up on first boot? Has this happened to anybody else?

On balance it would seem that I was probably barking up the wrong tree thinking about SSD's considering that 'traditional' hard drives survive couriers all the time - well at least most of the time.
We have the server mounted in a good strong flight-case along with CP 750, line mixer, PDU etc. It's not a 'shock-mount' type though as these appeared to be very expensive. We treat the case with as much respect as possible avoiding any hard knocks - at least I do, but you never know if your assistants are equally careful!
Yes I anticipated that dirty mains power could be a problem but unfortunately the UPS I did order was very portable but just not man-enough to power the server consistently. So next step is to order a better UPS to power the whole rack/case.
You guys on here have certainly helped me to think-through all the options and considerations.

If anybody has any ideas about that missing content..

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 06:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW - does anyone know the brand/manufacturer of the Doremi RAID disc carrier system (those with the blue latches)? I would want to buy a set of them.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2016 08:26 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pietro Clarici
You can remove and reinstall the drivers safely, obviously just don't do that while the server is powered up and make sure to label them in order to put them back up in the right order.
Are you sure the order matters on a Doremi? I don't know because I haven't tried, but I know that on a GDC it does not, and frankly, I don't understand why. Can anyone explain that?

quote: Brad Miller
With the GDC and it's un-raided OS drive, you are at a higher chance of failure than any other server.
What about Doremi? The OS isn't on the RAID, right?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: