Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Sony 3D Lens Adjustments

Author Topic: Sony 3D Lens Adjustments
Anthony Benavides
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2016 01:48 PM      Profile for Anthony Benavides   Email Anthony Benavides   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody!

Can anyone explain to me the difference between adjusting the prism on the 3D lens and adjusting the illumination area. Both are for a SRX320.

Anyone have any experience working on the RealD XLS configuration for a 320?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-13-2016 03:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the twin lens SRX320 setup? You have the Real-D screen filters in front of the twin lens?

Anthony Benavides
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Anthony Benavides   Email Anthony Benavides   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monte,

Yes, this is the twin lens setup. We're using the RealD screen filters but they are mounted onto the MiT XLS Mover which is just a remote controlled/automated motor that shifts the filters in place as needed.

-Anthony

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-13-2016 08:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I worked with twin lens Sony unit with 3D, we did our filters manually with simple stops.

Filters would swing up or under the lens for 2D showing.

The filters were close to the lens with filters square to the lens. There was an alignment program in the server where we could check alignment, but need tech access and code, in which I had that code.

good luck - Monte

Anthony Benavides
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2016 08:50 PM      Profile for Anthony Benavides   Email Anthony Benavides   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I know what you're referring to. You're probably talking about the SRX Controller which is software that is used to connect to the projector to make the initial installment and adjustments.

I know how to reach all of those settings. My question is what is the difference between adjusting the prism on the actual lens and adjusting the illumination area.

Thanks though!

-Ant

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-14-2016 12:50 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you describe better what you mean with adjusting the prism and adjusting the illumination area?

I guess with illumination area you mean moving the whole lens up and down. That allows the split 4K picture to fall exactly between left and right area. It's a little counterintuitive as you may expect the picture to move up and down when you move the whole lens but what you are moving at that stage is the whole prism/lens assembly, not just the lens. The prism inside the 3D lens sends half of the picture up to the top lens and the other half to the bottom lens. That's why moving the whole assembly up and down is critical to make sure that each picture/eye is going to the correct lens

George Germisashvili
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2016 10:59 PM      Profile for George Germisashvili   Email George Germisashvili   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need: Installation Manual, Maintenance Manual and Service manual, but what the trouble? Luminance decrease?

Anthony Benavides
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2016 08:39 PM      Profile for Anthony Benavides   Email Anthony Benavides   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi George!

Yes, I am experiencing a luminance decrease and I have all of the documentation that goes with the projector.

Marco, thanks for the clarification. The illumination area to my knowledge consists of adjusting the dicroic mirrors in the projector that create the red, blue, and green light.

I wasn't sure what effect adjusting the prism would do. When adjusted it brings the left and right eyes out of alignment with each other and results in a blurred screen.

I think the correct adjustment I was looking for was the illumination area adjustment.

Thank you everyone!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-19-2016 11:57 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those adjustments must be carried out with a 2D lens fitted.

There are no adjustments on a 3D lens to improve brightness. Make sure your lamp is aligned and reflector is clean.
The projector should be serviced by a Sony qualified engineer every year, the engine needs to be cleaned - that will improve brightness. If you've never had it properly cleaned, that could affect the brightness significantly.

George Germisashvili
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2016 01:50 PM      Profile for George Germisashvili   Email George Germisashvili   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anthony !

Due low luminance cleaning procedure for optical unit is needed [Frown]

Warning from Sony:

CAUTION: You must be trained and certified by Sony to perform
the procedure, which requires specialized skills. If the procedure
is performed improperly, operation is not guaranteed.

You will need someone from Sony to make cleaning. The procedure is not shown in any manual. Maybe you can order training from Sony to do it yourself in future.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-training-catalog.aspx

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-training-catalog-2.aspx?mincatid=138

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-20-2016 01:59 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just have the projector serviced every 12 months, it seems a reasonable thing to do. If you catch a good engineer, they will also shoot the colours again, update the software, adjust gamma and uniformity.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: