Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Logan Release Versions

Author Topic: Logan Release Versions
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-27-2017 06:09 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you get your content for Logan this week, you will notice there are two sets of files, one of which is labeled "Logan-D". If you are not having any pre-release showings of Logan, this "-D" version is the only one you will need. In this situation, pre-release is any showing BEFORE 6:00pm Thursday 3/2. If you are running the usually Thursday night showings, you will still use the "-D" version. The "Logan-FTR" version is ONLY for pre-release showings.

Although I have not received the content yet, my understanding is the "-D" version is actually 3 minutes longer than the other version.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2017 02:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless the D version has pre release content for the Thurs night showing only....

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2017 04:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Note within the drive:

"In addition to the feature (OV) file above, you must ingest the (VF) file for your pre-release screenings. Your keys will not work if you do not ingest these supplement (VF) packages."

It looks like the file was created two times, being one for regular release and the other for the Pre opening release, thus each with its own creation date.

Thus, notice the date to match the key date

Tricky release, so to say.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2017 06:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, on a side note: The Shack comes with two DCP's, with one being the regular feature and the 20 min longer "Movie Premiere Night" version where after the end of the movie, there is a panel discussion attached.

.. with separate keys.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-28-2017 06:54 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way I have come across to have a KDM that will open more than one CPL. So having KDMs for each version, while maybe annoying, is unavoidable. This can be a real pain when a movie with over a dozen versions (3D/2D, different 3D light levels, different language tracks and captions...) comes out and you have to figure out which to ingest since you only have a key for one.

Ben Schulz
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2017 09:41 PM      Profile for Ben Schulz   Email Ben Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a side note I think that the two versions may be limited to the states. I'm in Australia and we only have one version (ignoring ATMOS, CCAP, OCAP etc)

Just thought I would add my two cents in.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-01-2017 05:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this going to be a trend? It would appear that The Shack is also having the dual version for the "premier night" and for the release.

As if things are not confusing enough with movie versions and kdms. Thanks for another "fun" Thursday/Friday with KDM questions, in advance!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-01-2017 06:34 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind a zillion of versions, if anyone around the distribution line would simply add a note describing their nature or application...
Could be in the hard drive box, or come with the KDM email. Instead, they mention the size of the DCP. Who cares about the size, really...

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-01-2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the plot thickens!

We just got our first confused/compliant on Logan!

The keys they received for 3/2 (the sneak) THROUGH 3/31 are...the Logan_FTR_S_EN-EN-CCAP_OV_71-HI-VI-DBOX_2K_TCF_20170220_DTB_IOP_VF (they have 7.1)

The did NOT receive the Logan-D keys. So it would appear that the "D" version is the pre-release and the non-D version is the release...exactly opposite of what the Deluxe Info sheet says!

"The Shack", on the other hand, is correct on its info sheet. Version 7 is the release and version 8 is the sneak.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-01-2017 04:05 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for keys for Logan. I called Deluxe and they said Fox was in the process of generating them. Said Fox has sent out a previous set of keys which were incorrect. They said the new keys should be going out Wednesday night or Thursday morning and should already be unlocked.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2017 06:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-01-2017 07:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hearing that indeed that the Logan-D is the release version, as printed in the Deluxe sheet but, those keys are not out however the "preview" show keys are out and last the entire month!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-01-2017 08:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received an email from Fox indicating the D version keys will be available for download from the Fox keys site by 8:00pm Wednesday, but won't be emailed until Thursday afternoon.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-02-2017 12:40 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The D-version has a Deadpool 2 spot at the beginning. Credits verified at 2:14:19 for the D-version.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2017 03:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx, Adam for the Credit offset information.

Thus, what do we do with the Logan VF file being the release without the Deadpool tag?

If I read right, the VF file is needed for the OV file to play the regular Logan feature.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: