Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby Cinema poor presentation corrections?

Author Topic: Dolby Cinema poor presentation corrections?
William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2017 05:02 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've written before about how the bottom corners of the screen at my local Dolby Cinema theater (AMC Flatiron Crossing 14 in Broomfield, CO) are washed out in red from the stair lighting in the theater (in all fairness, the problem has existed since it was originally remodeled into an AMC ETX theater and the issue could be solved with about $2 of plastic shielding, but I digress.)

When I've complained to Dolby about it on Facebook, they've asked me what theater it was and I've told them.

Recently I complained a second time (about six months later) and they replied "Still AMC Flatiron Crossing?"

This implies they are listening and are noting the complaints, but I do wonder if they or AMC will ever do anything about them (or for that matter the alignment issues that have the center of the screen aligned but the edges are noticeably keystoned and out of alignment.)

Has anyone actually seen Dolby or anyone else come in and fix these types of issues, or do you think the Dolby folks on Facebook are just sending an email up the chain internally that gets summarily ignored?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-23-2017 08:02 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screen alignment issues should be entirely in the realm of Dolby. Also, they should be entirely fixable by them, maybe even remotely, if the projector stack does not need to be moved.

The red glow of the aisle lights is another thing. This responsibility probably lies with AMC. It's also rather unfortunate they had to choose red as the leading color for their Dolby Cinema @ AMC roll-out. In the original Dolby Cinema build-outs, everything used to be blue. Even if you cannot switch off the aisle lights entirely, a residual blue glow is considerably less annoying than a red glow.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2017 09:51 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen now a low blue light being used in some Dolby Cinemas. This is way better then the bright circus red color that they did use for a time. You would think a big company like Dolby needed to check out their new concept in theatre design with the lighting issues. The Galaxy Theatre in Sparks NV has some of the best blue lights on the side and above on the ceiling speakers, they look great. The huge semi curved screen glows when you come in with the nice blue hue. I just wish that they would leave some on very dim when a movie is on the screen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-23-2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could also be an issue that can not be remedied very easily, as local safety codes are some times extremely strict as far as exit lighting goes. Usually once it gets approved by the building commission and fire marshall it can not be altered or changed in any way without going through a whole bunch of permits and code challenges. I've been through it myself. Dolby should not allowed a system to be put in a poorly designed room in the first place but with Dolby, unfortunately $$$$ speaks...And if anyone should know better then to get involved with AMC it is they.

Mark

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2017 01:17 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive yet to visit an AMC Prime Dolby Cinema that doesn't have this problem. Its terrible and could be fixed so easily I agree. Its as if they don't care when designing that part and it totally washes over the bottom edges of the screen, either in red or blue depending on the theaters lighting scheme. Really pisses me off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: