Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Trailer Delivery to Multiple Site - Physical Shipping?

Author Topic: Trailer Delivery to Multiple Site - Physical Shipping?
Anurag Chourasia
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2017 08:20 AM      Profile for Anurag Chourasia   Email Anurag Chourasia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone from exhibitor's side tell us how they are receiving the trailer DCPs? We generally ship them in Pen Drives to the Cinema Chain Head Quarter and they ship it to individual complexes but would like to know of the recent advancements to make this process better. Can the cinemas not pull in the DCP directly to TMS if i am somehow able to upload it to a WEB Service? Appreciate your guidance.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 09:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether online delivery is feasible will really depend on how fast the Internet connection in and out of each theater is. Rather than have the TMS connected directly to the Internet, it might be an idea to have a cutoff arrangement, e.g. a NAS with connections to both the media and management networks into which content is initially uploaded, and goes from there to the TMS. That part of it is easily do-able, but a really slow connection that keeps dropping might make things difficult.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 01:20 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And not all theatres are part of a chain. I get everything (trailers, one-sheets, whatever) shipped directly to me since there is no "head office".

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 02:08 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some integrators like Ymagis have content distribution systems that automatically download trailers and push them to your "TMS".

Unfortunately, trailer delivery from the studios and labs isn't sufficiently streamlined to easily integrate into your own automation. You might be able to talk to a TMS using the API, but getting the trailers themselves in adequate quality still requires jumping through several hoops.

I think trailers are sufficiently small though, to distribute over the web, as long as you have any form of decent Internet connectivity.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-30-2017 05:22 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anurag - I suggest you perform a survey of all the sites in question concerning their internet connectivity/bandwith. In some parts of the world, online delivery of trailers through standard domestic broadband (from 6MBit/s up) is standard now. Of course, if location and money admit, a few 100MBit/s up to 1GBit/s is possible. Most lines in a cinema are more or less idle between midnight and noon, so there is always a large slot for downloads, even on slow lines.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: