Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Crown DCI 4/300 Amplifier ?

Author Topic: Crown DCI 4/300 Amplifier ?
Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2018 01:23 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a chance to purchase this amplifier at 65% discount they are an expensive amp.A four channel amp But I will use in bridged mono mode to power my TAD 18 inch subwoofer pair. The output is 600 Watts @8ohms. The subs are single woofer . My question are digital amps ok to use on Subs I am using analog amps type AB for the rest of my System.These Are Crown Top of the line retailing over 2k hard to pass up.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-18-2018 03:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you got is a Crown Drivecore 4/300 and true, they are a spendy amp being 4 amps under one roof.

I have Drivecore 4/300s driving paired subs in the bridge mode.

Amp is an amp since the processor and the source are pushing out analog information and using the Phoenix input connectors.

Only time it's digital if you're using CAT6 cabling to the amplifiers.

Oh, and make sure you get a warranty with these units, for they're also spendy to repair.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2018 04:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that Harmon is shutting down the Crown factory in Mishawaka, IN and moving everything to China. Not sure who if anyone is taking over the repair in the States. I'd be looking at QSC DCM even if it's the less expensive line of amps. They sound better then any Crown I have used over the years. Most reliable sound techs in this field stopped using Crown many years ago.

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/

Mark

Gary DiVito
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2018 06:05 PM      Profile for Gary DiVito   Email Gary DiVito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monty & Mark I bought the two 4/300 this afternoon because after reading all about them they are great amps. Very excellent sound and definition.Monty I will use the pair in bridged mono mode on my 2 18 inch subs.I would think that 600 Watts at 8ohms going to the subs would give me enough headroom to realize the 20hz capability. What is your experience with your setup?
Thanks
Gary

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-18-2018 09:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They install like any other amp, but they do have one interesting feature that can save their life a bit and that they can be set to go into sleep mode when there is no signal for after ten minutes.

On the back to the left is a set of dip switches and the top left you see three dip switches with switch C marked Power Save. Enable this switch and the unit goes to sleep if not receiving signal after 10 minutes and it wakes up immediately when signal come in.

Two important things one has to do to keep these units healthy:

Blow compressed air in the front to keep the dust buildup in control.

Put these amps on a surge/UPS unit, for being a transformer less unit, a sudden kick in current will knock these units dead in a heartbeat in as well as the front power switch isn't the most durable item in the world either.

Also, just make doubly sure that wire to speaker connections are wrench tight and using the appropriate gauge stranded wire, like we are using 14g to the subs.

Otherwise, theyre decent amps. Good luck.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 14 gauge Monte?

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-26-2018 03:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
14g paired.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: