Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC SX2001 and NEC NC2000C occasional no picture at start up

Author Topic: GDC SX2001 and NEC NC2000C occasional no picture at start up
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-24-2019 06:56 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are having an occasional issue on just one projector where there will be no picture when the show starts. When this happens we can typically resolve it by simply disconnecting one of the BNC cables from the back of the server and then reconnecting. Typically when it happens it is the first show of the day. It might happen on consecutive days and then not happen again for a month.

This does not appear to be a douser issue as pressing the Douser button has no impact. Plus re-connecting the BNC cable cause the picture to come on instantly

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2019 07:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd swap the NC-80 input module to another projector and see if the problem stays, or if it moves with that module. If it moves you've fond the problem, but if it stays then its the server. You could also try reinstalling the firmware on both and see if that clears it up. GDC will probably want you to do that anyway, and if it turns out to be the media block they should still have them. I had a projector that would not strike the lamp every once in a blue moon, throwing a lamp unlit error and resetting the projector. Tried a new lamp to no avail,then decided to swap that igniter with another and bingo!

Mark

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2019 08:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does re-selecting the macro fix it?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-24-2019 09:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin
From my troubleshooting I have only found two things that work. A complete reboot of the server and projector or disconnecting and reconnecting the BNC connector. Since the latter only takes a second, it's obviously the most painless solution. This issue has only happened during a public showing, so I wasn't able to spend much time troubleshooting. I have not been able to recreate it on purpose.

What did not work was turning off and restriking the lamp. Stopping and restarting the playlist. Opening/closing the douser. Changing or re-selecting the format. Although I am not positive, I don't believe that rebooting the server independently from the projector resolved the issue.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2019 09:21 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that exact same problem in 2 (out of 4) auditoriums at one location,
which was equipped with NEC Projectors & GDC servers.

As you mentioned, it would usually only happen on the first show of the day.

As someone else suggested, re-selecting the macro on the NEC would clear it.
I think they finally started inserting TWO consecutive macro cues in
their playlist, with a short pause in between, and I'm guessing that fixed it,
since I haven't gotten any calls from them in a while with that complaint.

What's odd is that all 4 auditoriums had identical systems that were installed
at the same time, with the same software versions, etc, and yet they only
had the problem, on an unpredictably intermittent basis, in just two of the
auditoriums, and always only on the first show of the day.
[Confused]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-25-2019 02:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you pull the HDSDI board (Which I'd do just to reseat it), Also reseat the Enigma (Link Decryptor). The loss of image can be the SDI board or the LD so both are suspect.

Moving the board between auditoriums is also a good idea since it will quickly show if that is where the problem was/is as Mark pointed out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-25-2019 09:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I think they finally started inserting TWO consecutive macro cues in
their playlist, with a short pause in between

Jim, UNfortunately that doesn't really fix the actual problem. It only postpones the death of what ever part is actually bad.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: