Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Classified   » Equipment and Supplies Wanted/For Sale   » FS: pair of Century JJ 35/70 projectors

Author Topic: FS: pair of Century JJ 35/70 projectors
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-11-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: PROJECTORS ARE SOLD. BASES ARE STILL AVAILABLE. $250 FOR BOTH OR BEST OFFER.

I am posting this for a theatre owner. I convinced him to buy these JJs in hopes of getting him set up to run 70mm, but it turns out that he has some other expenses coming up having to do with building maintenance, and so he has decided to sell some of this equipment.

Anyway, he has two Century JJs, s/n 513 and 514, complete with penthouses, soundheads, Kelmar reel arms (with 1/2" 35mm and 70mm shafts as well as platter guidance hardware), heavy-duty Century bases (Vistavision type--larger and heavier than standard Century bases), and an assortment of other parts.

The good news:

These were in use until 1998 in a union-operated booth and look to be in good condition. That theatre closed and the equipment sat there until 2006, when I removed it. It then sat in another theatre awaiting installation. For the last year or so, it has been in a climate-controlled storage facility. I have assembled and operated both projectors and both put out a nice, steady image. There are 35mm and 70mm Ampex mag heads for both machines, and they appear to be in good shape. There is no visible rust on the projectors (reel arms and shafts have a small bit or rust). All of the 70mm parts (gate, trap, intermittent shoe, etc.) have matching serial numbers and are included.

The bad news:

One of the drive motors was in questionable condition, but the owner had it checked out by a motor shop, which said that it was in fine shape. I have not tested it further. The other motor works well.

There are a few missing parts that would be needed for anyone wanting to install these machines:

One of the projectors is missing the coupling for the penthouse; this is a currently available part that goes for about $35.

The cast pieces that couple the bases to the soundheads have gone missing. They might turn up, but plan on having to replace those if the owner cannot find them.

There are no 5/16" reel shafts; these would need to be purchased elsewhere if you want them. These go for about $150 apiece, and four would be needed.

The machines are set up with exciter lamps, and would need LED readers to play modern cyan tracks. Assume $800-1k per machine, or more if you want SRD readers.

Drive belts are old and will need to be replaced. (I kept the old ones for size reference.)

Lamphouses are not included. A non-matching set of 70mm beam spreaders is included, but I am not sure what lamphouse(s) they were designed to be used with.

This equipment is not in ready-to-install condition, but would be a very nice setup for home use or for a theatre that has some time and wants to install 70mm capability on a budget.

Asking price is $2000 if shipping is necessary, or $1500 if you can pick up the equipment at a stoarge facility in Plymouth, MA. Everything should fit in a cargo van. If you do not like the asking price, feel free to make an offer, and I will pass it along. A partial trade for a Kelmar rewind table would be considered.

Send mail to snorwood@nyx.net for more information/details if interested; thanks.

[ 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: